Whats going on with my anenome

bradphish

I have had him for about 4-5 weeks and he has always looked healthy, today he moved from the font glass, to an area by the live rock, and now he is all shrivvled up and has been for abut 2 hours. Is this any means for concern?
Brad

T

thomas712

Give it some time, he still looks healthy from what I can see. He is just in transit looking for a place it likes better. It may be searching for a higher perch.
What is your lighing? NO3?, Cal? and Alk?
Watch that he stays away from powerheads and overflows.
Thomas

krunk

when it does that i believe its trying too poop or something like that, dont worry, mine does that everyone once in awhile.

bradphish

Here is a healty picture of him, he only stayed on the front glass about 6 hours, I thought it was pretty cool.
ps dwarf lion is now dead :(

bradphish

50/50 (not sure what watt) coralife does anyone know???
and Actinic Blue Lighting 48 inch 40 watt
Is this ok my lfs seems to think so?
Brad
anyone have any ideas for my aquascaping, i used to have a buch of baserock but i took it all out, now its all lr, kinda sparce but plenty of room for fish and very natural looking..

T

thomas712

Ok now I'm worried. You just suffered a death. You have an anemone (Condy ?). That has deflated and been in a bunch for a couple of hours now. May need to wait this out a little longer.
First can you explain the death of the lionfish? figure out the cause?
Second, It is my opinion that you do not have enough lighting for your anemone. I've tried this with only 80 watts on a couple of condies years ago when I was like the lights, not so bright. My advice here is to see if you can take the anemone back or even give it away to someone with a mature tank with 300 watts or more of lighting. Once again just my opinion.
Third - please take a very good look at the anemone and see if you think that perhaps it is melting away, not just slumped or deflated, any visable signs of missing flesh?
Thomas

bradphish

I think the death was due to either an unhealthy lion fish or he just did not take, hed didnt eat for like 3-4 days then died, everyone else is doing just fine, and all the levels are ok. What would the anoneme be senesitive too? What other kind of bults can i put in my hoods??Is there anyway to upgrade just the bulb? What do u mean by melting away?

MY UNDERSTANDS THAT ENEMONES NEED MORE LIGHTING THAN THAT... :( SECOND THEY NEED A SAND BED. BECAUSE THERE NOT ALWAYS ON THE ROCKS UNLESS THEY WANT TO... :( THIRD IS THE WATER QUALITY HAS TO BE GREAT FOR ANEMONES...:( MINE SHRINK LIKE THAT ONCE IN A WHILE AND THEN SWEEL UP REALLY BIG... I THINK THEY ARE POOPING OR SOMETHING... WELL GOOD LUCK...:rolleyes:

bradphish

So they can't live on cc??? Do i need to put some live sand in there or will he live on cc? How can I upgrade my lights, whats the most watts a balace can hold?

T

thomas712

As to the lighting issue, back when I got my last anemone I still had only 80 watts of light, poor thing got as small as a golf ball, when I installed the 380 watts of VHO lights it grew to the size of a softball and has now split the 3rd time giving me 4 BTA's.
If you have standard fixture then you will only be able to support standard or Normal output lighting.
In the case of the VHO very high output, it requires a special ballast, with VHO bulbs. A two to four lamp fixture with ballast could cost you around $150.00 to $180.00 or so dollars, and thats without bulbs at around $22.00 a piece +or-...
When an anemone has a meltdown it literally disintigrates and fouls the tank,dies, and could depending on the toxins released kill your fish.
I would watch your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily for a few days as well as watching your anemone while the lights are on, and immediatly in the morinig when you wake. If you susspect that he is melting away you may need to remove it so that it does not harm the rest of your tank.
No need to panic just keep an eye on it. and let us know if anything changes.
Thomas

S

sebae0

with a regular ballast you only going to get 40w per bulb you need to either try to get vho (very high output) ballast and bulbs or get some power compacts. these will have the wattage your looking for to keep an anemone.
in my opinion your anemone is just looking for a better spot right now, but you will need better lighting. also make sure you dont have any ammonia or trite because of your lion dying.

T

thomas712

As to the substrate, well, some anemonies like to bury their foot into sand, others like to place their foot into a crevase of a rock. If yours takes to the rock then it really would be no different than walkin on the substrate that you have. The thing to watch out for is if you have really sharp substrate that can harm the anemone as it walks on the surface of it.
Aragonite Sand is the prefered substrate of most reef tanks.
Thomas

bradphish

Does anyone know this exact species? About twice a week I reach in and give him a Krill shrimp is this enough? Should I feed him more often..if i dont feed him will he get food on his own?

php

my recommendation with wut i do to my anenome when it does that is, either he will be better give it time or you need to hand feed it or you need to check the PH.

DUDE YOUR ---- IS DYING!!! ...HEY U GOT A (RED TIP OR PURPLE TIP ATLANTIC ANEMONE) AND IT LOOKS BAD... YOU NEED BETTER LIGHTING... I GOT TWO OF THOSE AND THEY ARE HUGE... I GOT PC 4-65 IN A 75gl. TANK AND THEY ARE DOING GREAT (HUGE) LIKE A BIG MANS FIST...THAT BIG. WATER HAS TO BE GREAT QUALITY AND YOU NEED TO PUT SOME FOOD IN THEIR MOUTH TWO TO THREE TIMES A WEEK THEY WONT EAT BY THEM SELF... USE A STICK TO FEED THEM. WHEN U SEE HIM GET REALLY ENOURMOUS AND STOPS MOVING AROUND THE TANK THEN U NOW HE IS FINE. TILL THEN YOUR ---- IS DYING :( TAKE A LOOK AT OTHER MEMBERS TALKIG ABOUT ANEMONES AND YOU WILL SEE THE DIFFRENCE....

broncofish

Originally posted by bradphish
Here is a healty picture of him, he only stayed on the front glass about 6 hours, I thought it was pretty cool.:(

You should see ritteri anemone, thats all they do is hang out on the glass