whats going on????

ryand

ok two days ago i added the shrimp like you guys told me to. yesterday i did a test on NO2 and NH3 the trites were at 0 and the ammonia was at 3 mg/l today i did the same test and the ammonia was at .25 mg/l and the trites at .8 mg/l could my cycle be going that fast????

ryand

does anybody even have an explination wy the ammonia would go up and back down just after a day and a halve? and why the nitrites took of so fast
any information would be nice right about know because i have no idea why it is hapening so fast

dacia

The lower ammonia/higher nitrites stage of the cycle normally lasts much longer than the other stages. When I cycle, the ammonia stays elevated for 1-2 days, the the nitrite spikes for about a week, and then both go to 0 overnight.

dacia

The longest I've ever had one to last was a month, but they normally don't go longer than 2 weeks. The fastest for me was like 3 days...but I cycled with pure household ammonia and literally skipped the first stage of the cycle.

dacia

I see you want to study marine bio...ever concidered UNCW? We have the top rated marine bio program in the US, 7th in the world. I went there for general (medical) bio...

ryand

cool sounds intreasting, me and my mom are trying to find one in eather galviston tx or in florda but that place sounds good 1st in the us isnt all that shabby. the main reason i want to do it is so i can open up a fish & pets store here in my home town because the nearest lfs is 1 1/2 hours away

dacia

I applied to Miami way back when...they have a good program. UNCW just recently built onto its marine science lab and added a Ph.D. program to the graduate curriculum. Go to www.uncwil.edu for more info. Walking distance from the beach did it for me. :D I loved the "hands on oceanography" 5 times a week. :yes:

dacia

The prof that taught me Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy just received a grant to study dolphins...that's what I wanted to do, but I switched majors from marine to general so I could do medicine and forensics. Oh well...

ryand

well forget galviston they dont have a program for marine bio but i do like uncw they have a lot of diferent cources

ryand

well of corse the clean up crew first then i was thinking a coral or 2 and a black per and an orange perc and see if i can breed them or talk to my lfs and see if i can sell the crosses to them because they look so much more intreasting

B

bloodhound

Originally posted by ryand
cool sounds intreasting, me and my mom are trying to find one in eather galviston tx or in florda but that place sounds good 1st in the us isnt all that shabby. the main reason i want to do it is so i can open up a fish & pets store here in my home town because the nearest lfs is 1 1/2 hours away

I would look at Florida Institute of Technology (a.k.a. Florida Tech or F.I.T.). I wasn't a MB major there but I know they have a pretty good program. It's in Melbourne, just south of Cocoa Beach. Let me know if you need any contacts.
Mark