Whats in ur 55 gal?

misty7850

I wish I had a 55 gallon. My hubby says maybe someday. says I gotta learn not to "Kill off" whats in my 30 gallon. I keep telling him the larger the tank, the more stable it can be.

edwar050

I just upgraded from 30 to 55. I have a
coral beauty
blue devil damsel
yellowtail damsel
green chromis
two black yellowtail chromis
100 pounds LR
I would like to get a bicolor blenny and possibly two clowns but believe the tank would be overstocked unless i sump it w my 30. I am also worried about the clowns with the two damsels, they aren't that bad and they are the only two fish I have that are full grown, what do you guys think?

liverock27

again, don't mean to hijack, but what lighting do yall have on your 55s? I have a 55g that use to be an aggresive tank, but now it is empty and I am wanting to restart it as a reef tank. It has a 33gallon long tank for a sump/refugium. Thanks for any help with what lighting would be best for me.

edwar050

I like the new powercompacts with the moon lights for the 55, the four foot ones with 260watts would prob be the best IMAO.
brad

X

xoxox

Originally posted by LiveRock27
again, don't mean to hijack, but what lighting do yall have on your 55s? I have a 55g that use to be an aggresive tank, but now it is empty and I am wanting to restart it as a reef tank. It has a 33gallon long tank for a sump/refugium. Thanks for any help with what lighting would be best for me.

I started with a powercompact strip (4-55watts) but have since converted it with two DE HQI 250watt halide pendants and 4 LED moonlights. I only use one strip of the powercompacts (2-55watt 50/50 bulbs) and the other side is the moonlights, outside the unit of course.

X

xoxox

Originally posted by edwar050
wow xoxo thats alot of light for a 55, probably pretty good even for hardies.

I did start out with a dual HQI 150 ballast and pendants thinking this would be enough but since Halide lighting is based on depth of the tank (and not necessarly how many gallons) I found that the spectrum was just not what I wanted. When one of the ballast burned out (lesson to everyone: don't buy a dual HQI ballast, they will get too hot, buy them seperate) I converted one of the pendants to a 250 (the 150 and 250 have different connectors) and used the remaining 150 for my 20 long tank.
These are expensive lights, heck, the good bulbs are around a $90 a piece but they are the best you can get and you can keep anything.

chubosco

Originally posted by unleashed
[your very bad,does your mother know this?]my 55 gal has a 4 1/2 ft ball python
[/B]