what's the 1st thing you wish you had known

gordie9

in all seriousness though, to answer the original question, I haven't had any huge mistakes. I am glad that I started slow - still a newb - and now that I am playing with my tank and reading and reading more, my ambitions are growing.
Take to heart what people say here . There are a lot of people who know what they are talking about. When I first started I had NO idea what I was getting into, but I was lucky it has all worked out so far (knock on wood).
When I get a bigger tank and really do it for real (ie, reef tank, good lighting, etc), I will base most of my purchases on advice from swf. so far so good, but my advice to another new hobbyist is to take it slow and learn as much as you can. It will make your tank better and save you money at the same time

gordie9

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
you know you got it bad when you have to tell your self that it is worth it!!!!

you got to justify the cost somehow right?

jerth6932

mine is justified by the countless hours sitting in front of a 24G starting at it..... And seeing the new little thing I found inside of it!!! My Fieance doesnt understand my obsession, but I tell her I'm not the only one who just sits infront of my tank for hours at a time!!!!! AND YOU JUST HELPED!!!!

gordie9

mine is justified by the countless hours sitting in front of a 24G starting at it..... And seeing the new little thing I found inside of it!!! My Fieance doesnt understand my obsession, but I tell her I'm not the only one who just sits infront of my tank for hours at a time!!!!! AND YOU JUST HELPED!!!!

ha, I got a new rock with some nice hitchhikers yesterday and I forced my gf to look at them and her response was something like "why would you want worms?" and "that doesn't look like any seastar I've ever seen"
oh well, glad I could help.....time for bed

jerth6932

Yeah I have a Serpent star.... and my fiance and mother in law call him an octipus ! They always say look at the pretty colors.... lol...... Pretty colors??? THIS IS A MASCULIN TANK!!!! NOT PRETTY, SWEET I will accept!!!

robpsca

yea dont even watch the new big screen tv much anymore watch the tank more than tv LOL

jerth6932

I second that one!!! I have contemplated moveing comp to near fish tank, I am mad I didn't think of that prior to setting up the tank!!!!! :mad:

sidd

Don't listen to your lfs(local fish store). Get a second opinion, and then a third and then a fourth. Base rock takes a long time to turn into live rock, so the more live rock the better. Reefcentral is cool. Does anybody have any other saltwater fish forum websites. OH, I almost forgot. I am forever kicking myself for not having my 75 gal drilled even though I didn't want or need a sump at the time.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by robPSca
Dont get a powder blue tang ick magnet
I have a cleaner shrimp...... Just in case!!!! I have heard that about them..... Going through that right now huh? I am sorry!!!

brucoh

what's the 1st thing you wish you had known
That these message boards existed. You're already ahead of most of us by being on here before actually getting a tank. There are other really good boards out there too. I've gained so much knowledge on these boards because I wasn't just listening to a guy in a fish store wanting to make a sell. I made alot of stupid mistakes in the begining and spent lots of money on stuff that now just sits in storage. After finding the message boards and listening to fellow aquarists, I've made good purchases and feel like I have somewhat of a handle on the hobby. My advice to you is not to impulse buy any piece of equipment or livestock. If you think you want or need something, take a day to post a question about it here. Get some feedback from other people who have used it or have kept it (in the case of livestock) and make a decision. Always research things before buying, it's way too easy to throw away money in this hobby.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by brucoh
That these message boards existed. Your already ahead of most of us by being on here before actually getting a tank. There are other really good boards out there too like reefcentral. I've gained so much knowledge on these boards because I wasn't just listening to a guy in a fish store wanting to make a sell. I made alot of stupid mistakes in the begining a spend lots of money on stuff that now just sits in storage. After finding the message boards and listening to fellow aquarists, I've made good purchases and feel like I have somewhat of a handle on the hobby. My advice to you is not to impulse buy any piece of equipment or livestock. If you think you want or need something, take a day to post a question about here. Get some feedback from other people who have used it or have kept it (in the case of livestock) and make a decision. Always research things before buying, it's way too easy to throw away money in this hobby.
Also if you ask your LFS to hold something for you alot of the times they will, so that you can go home and research what you are wanting!!!

robpsca

I have a cleaner shrimp...... Just in case!!!! I have heard that about them..... Going through that right now huh? I am sorry!!!
just got over it put them back in the main tank this evening if it happens again gonna give it away LOL

mrdc

sad in the same thing!!!!

Ditto here too with those dang Dominos.
Also, wish I had known about LS, Durso Stand Pipe and halides.

kjord97

The expensive side of the hobby. Wow I started 2 1/2 yrs ago with a 29 gal tank and 5 lbs of live rock some sand and an emerald crab. Now over the years everything just grows and it is a great excuss to tell the wife to get a bigger tank. Now currently I have a 125 gal reef and a 45 gal fowlr for her. And a few thousand dollars later we are still looking at upgrading, it is just so addictive. We even started a club here in our small town and alot of us get togther monthly and swap and share corals. Its all good and everything works out. Good luck to ya and remeber it is alot of fun, i must stare at my tanks for hours everyday, everyday finding new things in there to see.