When can i get Anemones?

annaflowerpower

Okay so I have a 20 gallon tank with live rock and live sand. It has fully cycled and I currently have 1 clown fish.
I have t5 lighting 18w x 4.
I want to get an anemone for my clown fish.
I've added liquid calcium, strotonium, and iodine today.
How after should I add in the supplements and when will I be okay to add an anemone for my clown fish?

Most tanks need to be established a minimum of 6 months before adding one. It is best to wait a year for sure. That's not saying you can't add one, but you greatly increase the chances of survival if you wait until your tank has time to mature.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaflowerpower http:///t/396044/when-can-i-get-anemones#post_3527874
Okay so I have a 20 gallon tank with live rock and live sand. It has fully cycled and I currently have 1 clown fish.
I have t5 lighting 18w x 4.
I want to get an anemone for my clown fish.
I've added liquid calcium, strotonium, and iodine today.
How after should I add in the supplements and when will I be okay to add an anemone for my clown fish?
What where your Calcium and Iodine levels before you added more?

tthemadd1

I think most here would agree.
1. Stop adding supplements. You can maintain all of your parameters with a healthy water change program. Set it up and stick to it.
2. Don't ad anything you do not test for.
3. 20g is a small tank for an anemone. Water parameters can fluctuate easily in that small of a tank. I have almost 100 total gallons and my salt moves around on a weekly basis by on one or two points. In a 20 you have to be spot on daily to keep salinity correct. Anemones need a constant temp, salinity, and other parameters.
4. Lighting is important for anems as well. Get the correct lighting before you get the anemone
5. Time settles a tank into a rhythm. After six months or so your bacterial load settles down and becomes more stable. This is based on the number of animals, lighting routines, water changes etc. too soon and your wasting money. Take your time IMO you should not get an anemone in that size tank.

annaflowerpower

thanks for your reply I really appreciate it!
1. & 2. My LFS told me the RODI water i'm getting does not have these elements. He said If I get their "upgraded" water it will already have them in it. Am I being screwed with?
3. I wont put them in the 20g then. I will wait until I have a bigger tank.
4. understandable
5. Gotcha
Thanks a lot! helps so much!
Glad you told me about the tank size before I put one through that.

bang guy

1 - Wut? Any good salt mix will have these elements in it. Your LFS may put some additives in their 'upgraded' RO/DI water but I personally wouldn't use it. If you're serious about the hobby I'd recommend getting your own RO/DI. The RO water also makes very good drinking water and the RO/DI water makes perfect ice cubes.

annaflowerpower

Yeah that's what they said. Maybe just to try to get me to buy their supplements though I buy them online.
I buy myself a unit but it didnt fit on ANY of my pipes (I'm renting an older house). and I couldnt find the right attachments for it so I ended up returning it. I probably should have tried harder to attach it. But everything I did just ended up making a mess! Maybe it was the model i was using. Do you recommend any specific RODI unit?

What about dosing calcium? I use Instant Ocean sea salt, and could not ever get my calcium to proper levels with that. I had to start dosing, and it's brought the calcium up. I purchased the 60lb box. I've got 20lbs left. When I finish this bag, I am for sure going to find some quality salt for corals.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaflowerpower http:///t/396044/when-can-i-get-anemones#post_3528580
Yeah that's what they said. Maybe just to try to get me to buy their supplements though I buy them online.
I buy myself a unit but it didnt fit on ANY of my pipes (I'm renting an older house). and I couldnt find the right attachments for it so I ended up returning it. I probably should have tried harder to attach it. But everything I did just ended up making a mess! Maybe it was the model i was using. Do you recommend any specific RODI unit?
First tell me about your pipes. Are you adverse to tapping into a cold water pipe? Are they copper?