Where can I get t5 lighting?

yannifish

I am wondering where I can get t5 lighting, and am wondering if it has to be way above the water like MH and am wondering if you can have clams under them.

doktorj99

you can order them from online...i think some people are selling them in the classifed section....you need them to be a good distance above the tank(6-10")...you could keep a Dersa probaly the best....

yannifish

Ok, I found these lights called Coralife Saltwater Aquarium T5 Dual Lamp Fixture. Would two of these be ok for a 55 reef? And they would fit where my old flouresent fixtures go, would they be ok there?

turningtim

You need to make sure that whatever fixture you choose should have individual reflectors for the bulbs. I have a 6x54w tek light on a 55 and love it. Its about 5" from the water and no heat issues. I keep clams and SPS.
Picked mine up off the

[hr]
site for 250 including bulbs......

harris28

I have the Aquactinics Tx5 and I have it directly on my tank. No heat issues at all and I can keep anything. They have individual reflectors and are a really nice fixture. I got the fixture and 5 bulbs shipped to my door for $480. The best money I have spent on my aquarium
!

turningtim

Originally Posted by yannifish
Does anyone have the coraline? Could I keep a maxima clam under them?
Are you talking about the coralife Aqualight 48"?
From what I just pulled up they are only 28w a piece and will not support a clam.
Look for something that has 54w per bulb and has individual reflectors. A 4x54w will work great on a 55!
If you have a canopy look at retro kits. A lot less expensive but have to be installed. Ice cap makes a nice retro and has great ballasts and reflectors

yannifish

No, I'm not talking about aqualight. They are 24" long and have 14 watt 10,000K daylight and 14 watt true actinic 03 blue T-5 and am wondering if two of these would work for a 55. The demensions of the tank are 48x12x20.
Edit: Yes, they are aqualight, but they are 24". Sorry!

turningtim

Sorry but not even close to be able to support any corals with 28w. Besides they don't have indi reflectors and that makes them a lot less efficient.
Like I said you need T5 HO bulbs 54w each.....

harris28

Check out the tek 6 54 watt lamp or the Tx5, 5 54 watt lamp and you will be able to keep anything you want in the tank!!!!! They are both about the same price but the Tx5 is better because of the reflectors.

turningtim

No the kit will comes with all the parts needed to install in a canopy. Reflectors, end caps, wiring harness and ballasts. Then you'll have to pick bulbs. I think the best price I've seen is like 104 w/o bulbs and thats a 2 bulb kit. Search ice cap t5 retro.
The standard light you have now is really not worth much.......

turningtim

Originally Posted by yannifish
Why won't the coralife lighting work? The site says its ideal for reef tanks.
Um..... b/c they want you to buy it. If your concern is cost and want to keep softies and some LPS look around for a decent PC (4x65w) light. You can pick these up for around 150 or less. More heat less bulb life and it won't allow you to up grade.
trust me, I've been through NO, VHO and PC and I should have just spend the cash on a good light from the beginning and not wasted so much cash on crap.

turningtim

Much better! yes PC's do get hot but the fixture should have 2 cooling fans included. Bulb life on PC is shorter than T5. I think its 6-8 months. But the bulbs are cheaper. Should be 2@10k (or12k) and 2@actn.
But again a clam might be tough in that set-up.

oberski1234

were do u live for i can ref you to someone that can get you a great mdeal on them depending what models you are looking for

milkman

Try the Nova Extreme Fixtures. At 4ft long of a tank you can get 4 or 8 bulbs in a fixture that sits right on top of your tank. I bought mine at (edit). Little heat and looks great if you don't have a canopy.

yannifish

Is this a good light? 48 inch ODYSSEA HIGH COMPACT AQUARIUM LIGHT 260w V4. And I don't want clams that bad, it was just a thought. Are the cooling fans loud?

ophiura

Originally Posted by Harris28
I have the Aquactinics Tx5 and I have it directly on my tank. No heat issues at all and I can keep anything. They have individual reflectors and are a really nice fixture. I got the fixture and 5 bulbs shipped to my door for $480. The best money I have spent on my aquarium
!

I believe this is pretty much the best T5 fixture available from my research. I can't wait to get one.