where ya from and where's your fav. LFS?

royalgamma

Just wondering where everyones from and where they go to get their stuff?
I'm new at this hobby and I think it would it would help others out there if we knew where we could go to get some good help, good fish,corals, and equipment .
So hope everyone plays along...me...Northern Chicago burbs ( Round Lake )..and as of right now the best store I've had luck with is Petland ( hope this thread can change that :joy: )

kmc

Grayson, GA. So far Ocean Treasures in Loganville is our favorite. They have a store in Athens that is also nice. The Fish Store and More in Buckhead is nice but not as convenient for us.

dmjordan

columbia maryland
haven't found a decent store locally here yet. most are either overpriced, under stocked, slime algae infested or limited variety.

jayr102

I'm from the S.F. Bay Area, and my favorite LFS is "Aquarium Concepts" in Hayward, though they're opening up a much larger store (I think about 9000+ square feet) in Dublin soon. I also visit All About Fish in Pleasant Hill/Concord. They have amazing Tahitian Live Rock... much nicer than Fiji =)

J

josebob

from westchester, IL (near chicago) and shop at Scott's petshop and Trop-aquatics.

f14peter

Chico California (About 90 miles north of Sacramento) and I'm still too much of an FNG to be an authority on LFS, but there seems to be couple of nice ones, FISH ETC and REEF CONNECTIONS in town. Both fish only (FW & SW), although of differing philosophies . . . FISH ETC seems more old-school, even going so far as to suggest cycling with damsels, while REEF CONNECTIONS suggests a quick-cycle with BioSpiro or something like that to cycle in a couple of days.
Both have good selections in livestock, equipment, and accessories, and at least sound like they know what they're talking about.
Another standard pet shop, CHICO PET WORKS
, inspite of having supplies and animals of all sorts, also has a relatively nice SW selection, even live rock and coral. Talked for a while with their "Fish guy" and he seemed very capable, knowledgable, and enthusiastic. May have just been timing, but their SW fish in general seemed healthier, and more vigorous than the other shops.
I'm from the S.F. Bay Area, and my favorite LFS is "Aquarium Concepts" in Hayward, though they're opening up a much larger store (I think about 9000+ square feet) in Dublin soon. I also visit All About Fish in Pleasant Hill/Concord. They have amazing Tahitian Live Rock... much nicer than Fiji =)
Hah! I was in ALL ABOUT FISH
just last night. Nice, large place! Wish I had known about AQUARIUM CONCEPTS
, the reason I was in the Bay Area was to take my wife to a doctor in San Leandro and hit AAF on the way home.

S

slayer

buffalo, ny and the lfs depends on what you want for fish I would says the fish place and for everything else I would say saltwater paradise both are very knowledgeable

S

slayer

yeah but haven't been there yet so I can't comment on them yet however I do plan on going there tomorrow so i'll comment then on them

fedukeford

Originally Posted by slayer
yeah but haven't been there yet so I can't comment on them yet however I do plan on going there tomorrow so i'll comment then on them
ive heard they are REALLY good, do you belong to the URS?

zsqure

Massillon, Ohio... Wet Pets in North Canton and (don't laugh or flame me) ***** down the street, three of the folks there have multiple sw tanks, they even have a 90 gal reef tank with all kinds of neat stuff.

shogun323

Clearwater, Florida - I always go to Exotic Aquatics in Dunedin. They are not the cheapest but they have a very clean, well kept store with knowledgable employees. They also don't try to push livestock and uneeded dry goods or supplements on me. Plus, it's nice to walk into a store where the workers know your name and ask you about life.

kedabo

Carson City, Nevada my two favorite LFS's are Carson Aquarium here in Carson, and OFISHAL in Reno about 30 miles away.