Which Crabs to get?

bassmaster

I have a 20 gallon tank. I've had it for nearly two weeks now with LR and 3 damsels. I'm lookin to get a crab or snail. Any advice? :confused:

@knight

get about 20 red hermits and as many snails as you can. I wolld hold up a bit if you still havw nitrites though. you need a good cleanup crew. check out SWF's cleanup packages. They're great.

bassmaster

I already knew that i would have to buy more shells for them, but i'm either blind or stupid, because wherever i go to look for them, i can't find a store with just shells. My LFS is either hiding them or (like i said earlier) i'm blind. Are there any stores online that sells crab shells? :(

shadowucd

I may be a bit weird but there are times that I enjoy the snails and crabs in my tank more than I do the fish. There are a lot of choices when it comes to snails. Turbo snails do a pretty good job. Astrea snails clean glass really well, but if they get upsidedown and you don't get there in time, they die. I really like margarita snails personally. Cortez Cerith snails are okay. Green Tapestry snails are the same. Then crabs... I like red legged hermits over blue legged. Blue sometimes eat snails. My only other experience with crabs is the Emerald or Mithrax crab. These guys are great. They eat just about anything (except your other livestock of course.). Well, that's about it for my limited knowledge. Hope I was of some small help.

bassmaster

Thanx. As for your bizzare, strange, frightening, and somewhat interesting addiction to snails and crabs over fish, that's just you. :D

flydan

Hey,
I bought a bag of shells at a craft shop for $1.99. Can't remember if it was Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Boiled them for about 20 minutes and then rinsed in some saltwater I keep mixed up. All kinds of sizes and shapes to make any hermit happy. ;)
Take care,
Dan'l :D

bassmaster

Okay, now im stuck between the scarlet crabs and the red legged ones. Definently a problem...
Another thing. My brother-in-law heard of a deal on the internet where we get something like 50 hermits for about $45 (give or take a few dollors. I forget the exact amount). Thing is, I'm not sure what species it is. I'm assuming that it's mixed, but from what i've heard above, they can be aggressive. So my question is, have any of you done something like what I said above? (order hermits from a online deal). AND, I know i will be spliting the hermits between our two tanks (my 20 and his 29), but will it be enough? :eek: :(

D

danielle

I haven't ordered any inverts offline(mainly because my tank isn't set up :D) but I have heard great thing's about SWF.com's packages.
If your splitting the invert's up between the two tanks, just get a package for like a 50 or 60 gallon tank and split the package up between the tanks.
As for what type of hermit... it's personal preference. If you like the red legs better than the scarlets, then get the red legs. It's up to you.
Anyway's hope this helps. And good luck with your reef.
Danielle
[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Danielle ]

broomer5

Saltwaterfish.com !!!
The ONLY place we can discuss buying things online.
I'll pick up a handfull of hermits or snails at my lfs, but for a new set up I buy from this site.
Support the ones that support you !
This BB is not a cheap thing to maintain, and we owe it to SWF.com to trade with them.
Plus they really do have GREAT cleanup crew packages !!!!
Brian

oozy

woah! are you sure you want 50 hermits?
i have a 20g, i have 5 scarlets, 1 sally, 2 trochus snails, 7 naussitus(sp) snails. I had an emerald, it ate all the claurpa...then one day it died. I will not get another. I also have a tiger tail cucumber.
ive had the tank 4 months
the cuc and nauss are new
anyway i think 50 hermits will run out of food and die....
I am thinking about adding 5 more scarets, but i dont want to put in toomany.
-Oozy-

nm reef

I've got to add that all 3 of the packages I've ordered from this site have been top quality....and extremely productive...........check the packages here for practically any type set-up.........

kappadoku

!!??!!
Whoa there Big guy.
2 weeks?
My personal opinion? Wait untill you have some algae growth. What are they gonna eat in a 2 week old tank?
O, I see, your going to feed them. So If im a crab or snail, and I'm getting 3 hots and a cot, why would I go out looking for food and actually clean algae off the tank and sand and rocks?
I usually wait untill my new tanks resemble the presidential rose garden before I introduce any snails and crabs.
Then go with one Blue legged hermit per gallon, one scarlet reef hermit per every 3 gallons, one emerald crab per every 10 gallons, and one 1 snail per gallon.
But once again, wait untill your tank matures and stabalizes a wee bit.

D

danielle

Oozy:
He said in one of his above posts that he is splitting this package up between a 29 gallon and a 20 gallon.
If he is splitting it up between two tanks of this size, than yes he should get a package for a 50-55 gallon tank.
If you go to SWF.com's package deals a 10-20 package has a minimum of 20 crabs. Besides if your supposed to have "one crab per gallon" then fifty crabs split between these tanks would be fine.
Bass master just make sure you are spliting this package up between two tanks. If your just going to get it for your 20 gallon make sure you get a package with 20 crabs in it. And make sure you have more snails then crabs.
Just my .02
Danielle

bassmaster

Thanx everyone, it really helps a lot to hear from experienced people.
It's been about a month now, and i'm beggining to see some brown algae grow on my sand and powerhead. I'm assuming it's some sort of algae, but which kind is a guess to me.
I haven't bought any snails or hermits yet. Not even a package, but i will once I get the money (when that will be is my best guess).
Thanx again everyone. :p

bassmaster

OOOOOO....
Look what santa brought home for me...
$115!!!!!!
I'm going to spend it on some new 55 watt lights (cuz my current light sucks).
The rest I'll probably buy some more equip. with.
I'm so HAPPY! :D

With a 20 gallon tank I would get like 10 blue leg hermits, and 10-15 red leg hermits. Also you need some snails...turbo snails are excellent little guys. You need about 12 of those! Also, you can get extra shells from most local fish stores.....just ask them next time you are there for some. My fish store has them in the back of the store and not sitting out...so just becuase you don't see them doesn't mean they don't sell them. Good luck! :)

mr. tang

I have a 10 gallon with 15lbs of LR a Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, emerald crab, and a small Psudecromis (sp.) and three feather dusters.
For a clean up crew I have two mexican turbo snails, 2 blue leg and one scarlet hermits. My tank is kept very clean, in fact the last time I had to clean the glass was almost a month and a half ago.
50-55 crabs and a bunch of snails would be overkill for a 20 and 29 gal, IMO. I love the inverts just as much as the next person, however I hate to see them starve also.
Thoughts?

bassmaster

I've always thought that having one hermit per gallon seems a bit much, but then again, when you have sharks and other experienced people tell you otherwise, it's a good idea to listen to them despite what you think.
:rolleyes:

fishinchick

I have a 35 and had some big hair algae troubles. I got 6 scarlet hermits and 4 turbos snails and they made pretty quick work of that algae, like 2 days worth of quick work, I was amazed!! Even the fish were surprised. I also added some grape caulerpa which is reportedly said to reduce phosphates some reducing hair algae bloom (?) if not its pretty anyhow.