which fish or is this enough

travis89

I have a 46 gal. bowfront reef tank with a black clownfish, orchid dottyback, will have a 6line wrasse, and a flame angel. The Flame will be the last one that i add. I was wondering what other fish you would put in or if you thought this was enough already

granny

It depends on a lot of things. How often are you willing to do water changes? do you have any nitrate sensitive inverts? What are your oxygen levels?It sounds like you have about as many as your tank can handle right now, but I understand the desire to pack our tanks with fish. There are just so many interesting creatures out there!
If you add something new, keep it small and hardy-a lemon goby which perches on the rock would be nice-and add a different color.
What about a brittle star, some shrimp, snails etc. which are extremely interesting and all serve a very useful purpose?
Check out the fish and inverts on this web site. There is a great selection.

travis89

I have probably a dozen brittle stars that came in my live rock, I am going to get a cleaner shrimp, and which snails do you recommend because I have turbos but picking them up after they fall on their back is getting old, I started out with 6 but i'm down to three because I don't see them soon enough.

travis89

I have the black clownfish and orchid dottyback from above and would like to add a solar wrasse, purple firefish, flame angel, and a flame hawk. Do you think this would be ok or is this too many fish? If so which fish do you think I should not get i am pretty much certain that I want the angel.

fishychick

just a word of caution... I have a flame hawk and he is currently beating up my blackcap basslet in a 144 gallon 1/2 circle tank with about 200lbs of live rock. I would have thought that was plenty of space for them to stay away. I am thinking your orchid dottyback may have difficulty with a flame hawk, but maybe not.

travis89

Thanks for the word of caution fishychick, i didn't know that a flame hawk would bother other fish. I might want to think about it a little more before i get one.

fishychick

Yeah, I love mine, and I haven't made the mistake of feeding him live food since my tank is pretty calm. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with him right now. He is well fed and there is plenty of room and still -- it harrasses the basslet. To my knowledge, basslets are no slouches either. But the flame hawk is filled with personality and has GREAT color. sacrifices.

travis89

I want a more peaceful tank and I have a cleaner shrimp, snails, and an emerald crab(might be gone soon). Yes I have corals, the corals would be finished before i get the angel and the hawk would be the last theing I add. You are probably going to tell me not to get the hawk since I have inverts.

fishychick

My hawkfish doesn't bother my blood shrimp or my coral banded (but he is huge). He also hasn't bothered my hermit crabs or snails, but I feed pretty well. It is just the dottybacks he bothers. If you want peaceful, you might want to stay away from the hawkfish. I don't know much about the solar wrasse, but many of the wrasses can be aggressive too. I have a midas blenny that I got from this sight that is AWESOME. Loads of personality almost like the hawkfish. Try that out. He is not overly aggressive.

fishychick

My hawkfish doesn't bother my blood shrimp or my coral banded (but he is huge). He also hasn't bothered my hermit crabs or snails, but I feed pretty well. It is just the dottybacks he bothers. If you want peaceful, you might want to stay away from the hawkfish. I don't know much about the solar wrasse, but many of the wrasses can be aggressive too. I have a midas blenny that I got from this sight that is AWESOME. Loads of personality almost like the hawkfish. Try that out. He is not overly aggressive. I know the flick stinks, but best I could do for now.

travis89

I used to have a midas blenny but I missed a water change so my levels went way out of wack and it got so stressed it ended up dying from it. No it wasn't aggresive but it was VERY territorial. I think my new fish list will be black clownfish, orchid dottyback, solar or 6 line wrasse, purple firefish, and a flame angel. How does this look? Do you like the solar or 6 line wrasse better.

wax32

The dottyback will tear up the firefish. Sixline wrasses are VERY hit or miss, some are seriously mean. Flame angels are tough to acclimate and about 50% of them die, from what I have seen at the LFS I go to.
If it were me:
clown
dottyback
solar wrasse
angel (being aware that it might die)

travis89

So you think that four fish would be enough for my tank? And thanks wax for the information about the dottyback, I didn't know they were that aggresive. If got rid of the dottyback(it doesn't look very good right now) could i have the firefish instead?

fishychick

Interesting to know, wax, about the survival rate of flame hawks acclimating -- I have had both good and bad luck with Flame Angels... But they are surely spectacular if your luck is good.
Maybe my dottybacks haven't been too territorial because they were the last to be added.
One more thing, if you add more than 4 fish, go slow.

travis89

I know I have to go slow I am also starting to add more LR so I won't be adding fish for a little while until i get more rock in it and i am probably not going to add any coral after the angel goes in, and i may or may not finish off the LR before I get very many more corals so that I know that they aren't going to spread where I don't want them. I will definetly be going slow with it. I am not going to get more then 5 fish.