which is a better sump return pump

J

jesse!

I am looking into buying a sump pump now and I wanted to know which of the following would be my best buy. Price dosen't really matter and it's going on a 75g reef w/ 40g sump.
On the store i'm ordering from these are the brands they sell:
Eheim, Iwaki, Mag Drive, Quiet-One, Sedra, and Sequence.
thanks!

J

jesse!

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3127183
mag drive....IMO. I have 2 and never had a problem
sweet thats what I was thinking. Is the more water turnover of the pump the better?

meowzer

Well that depends on what you are using it for....You need to find out what size pump will work for your sump and tank (I have no clue on that)

J

jetskiking

OK here is my oppinion. Are you gonna be running it external? If your going internal then I prefer the mag pumps which is what I use. The reason I use mag pumps is because I run it internal plus they are relativly cheap and efficient. Parts are very easy to get local also. The reason I don't sudgest them for an external is that I have seen multiple people have them leak. I havn't ever had that problem because as stated I run my pumps internal.
A few things to research on the pumps before choosing would be.
  • Is the pump proven to be durable?
  • How efficient is the pump from a power consumption standpoint?
  • Research head heights because they might pump the same at 0 but be alot different with head.
    How much heat will it create and will this be a benefit or a problem?
    How many GPH will you need ?

cdposey26

Eheim internal, Iwaki external, as far as output, I would get the most gph that you can (that will work with your set up ie overflow/sump)

F

flukes

I use the Sedra 9000 for over a year now without any problems. I'm not saying that this is the one to get, but just my experance.

big

If external, my money will always be on the Sequence pumps..... I have run nothing but them for years on both my Reef and a outdoor pond.......Also someone said Iwaki pumps are good but tend to be pricey......
Once many years back a pump bearing failed on my Lilly pond pump when it was past its warranty date . I gave them a call....... a no charge replacement pump was over-night shipped that day........... NO CHARGE! out of warranty ..Only thing they ask was if I could ship the old one back to inspect why it failed........A company that stands behind their product like that gets my vote all the way....
I do not know if the Reeflow folks handling them now still have that kind of service though.