which of these corals should i get need to hour within the hour!!

nikefutbol

Hi everyone I'm picking between these coral choices and would like to know what you think! I currently have 75 dollars to the dreaded P----. I am about to order some corals online from them and here are my choices. (bare in mind I have a 14 g biocube, 20 lbs ls, 20 lbs lr, 1 clown, 6 blue legged hermits, 6 turbo snails, 1 fireshrimp and 1 orange star, 3 rics, 1 hammer frag (tentacles only entend at most 1-2 inch.) Candy Cane coral (2-3inch length), Branching Frogspawn (2-3inch), bubble coral (small), Cauliflower Colt (dont no much about what can you guys tell me), and finally Torch (2-3inch). Which 2 should I get, can I fit two in there? Also should I start dosing with the Kent Nano Solutions for reef packages? I do now 3-4 gallon water changes weekly.

meowzer

What are your lights? I would not put a hammer and a frogspawn together in a 14G though
and skip the nano solutions stuff

nikefutbol

even if they are on complete opposites of the tank the hammer is in the front corner on a piece of LR and I would have the frogspawn attached to the glass, watch this video you can see what I want to do with my frogspawn but even if it doesn't workout it will be in the opposite back corner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXoc0va_nj4

flower

Originally Posted by nikefutbol
http:///forum/post/3204188
Hi everyone I'm picking between these coral choices and would like to know what you think! I currently have 75 dollars to the dreaded P----. I am about to order some corals online from them and here are my choices. (bare in mind I have a 14 g biocube, 20 lbs ls, 20 lbs lr, 1 clown, 6 blue legged hermits, 6 turbo snails, 1 fireshrimp and 1 orange star, 3 rics, 1 hammer frag (tentacles only entend at most 1-2 inch.) Candy Cane coral (2-3inch length), Branching Frogspawn (2-3inch), bubble coral (small), Cauliflower Colt (dont no much about what can you guys tell me), and finally Torch (2-3inch). Which 2 should I get, can I fit two in there? Also should I start dosing with the Kent Nano Solutions for reef packages? I do now 3-4 gallon water changes weekly.

My opinion
I don’t know about what kind of lighting, or where you intend to place….You have a small tank. So a colt will get too big real fast. Torch corals and frogspawn are very aggressive and send out toxins, to keep them you will need to be diligent with carbon each month. The bubble coral sends out long strings of stingers, and I don’t think any other coral in a 14g would be safe.
So out with bubble and colt corals.
Consider the needs if you go with the torch or frogspawn. You must keep up on carbon in such a tight area.
Candy cane is a good choice.

spanko

I will have to go look this up Lois but I believe Euphyllia sp. only release their toxins when the tentacles touch other things and the nematocysts fire. Also with the exception of E. glabrascen, the torch coral, all others can be placed next to each other without any problem.

nikefutbol

so even if by chance my hammer and frogspawn touch (even though they'll be completely opposite eachother) no toxins will be released?? Again thanks for your guys help!!

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3204236
I will have to go look this up Lois but I believe Euphyllia sp. only release their toxins when the tentacles touch other things and the nematocysts fire. Also with the exception of E. glabrascen
, the torch coral, all others can be placed next to each other without any problem.
I thought I read somewhere that frogspawn and hammer "compete" (like leathers)
I would be very interested in what you find Henry....I do have a fs and hammer in my 225G...but this is a 14G

nikefutbol

ya that is ture but those are my favorites are they hard to frag? if they get too big i can just frag them and bring them to my LFS for some credit?

bill109

look around u on classifieds and club forums, find some people aoround u with some nice frags. they are cheaper, more colorful, you get to watch them grow out and you can find a nice variety. dont blow cash at retail stores.

spanko

From Aquarium Life;
"The best way to avoid problems is to place any Euphyllia corals out of contact range with any other corals. However, it has been reported that Euphyllia corals (with the exception of E. glabrascen) may be placed near each other, as they do not seem to have any negative interactions between species."
And from Dr. Ron Shimek
"Physical Attack
Other corals compete without chemicals, or utilize additional means of killing their potential competitors. In aquaria, probably the most important of these means are specially developed structures, called "sweeper" tentacles, used in an aggressive manner by many corals such as Galaxea and Euphyllia. Some anemones also utilize similar tentacles (Richardson, et al., 1979; Williams, R. B. 1991; Hidaka et al. 1997; Langmead and Chadwick-Furman. 1999a,b). About twenty or so years ago, the role of these tentacles as aggressive structures had not been elucidated, and they were often presumed to be functional as a means of getting extra food. If you take the time to do some reading in the older sea anemone and coral scientific literature, you may come across the term of "catch tentacle" used to describe these structures as they were thought to serve some special function in "catching" food. Well… they don't catch food, they are used to kill offending encroachers on the space of the coral or anemone, and they can do a pretty good job of it. These specialized tentacles contain a more potent armament of nematocysts, both in types and numbers than do regular tentacles. What I think is interesting about such tentacles is their absolute, and large, size. In many Euphyllia these tentacles may reach 12 to 15 inches in length, and they are more-or-less transitory. The animal will extend them out at will, and this may not be when the hobbyist is watching their tanks. The first time such structures are seen, it may be both enlightening and frightening. "

nikefutbol

My LFS had frogspawn and hammer touching but for some reason I did not ask about it and just went on with my shopping. Thaks for the info though, I am going to place them at opposite ends and will upload pics when I get them settled in my tank (got a small candy cane also).
Couldn't find any frags looked on craiglist only got responses from people that own various zoos, no LPS. Whatever, i like zoos also!!!

flower

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3204514
from Dr. Ron Shimek
"Physical Attack
Other corals compete without chemicals, or utilize additional means of killing their potential competitors. In aquaria, probably the most important of these means are specially developed structures, called "sweeper" tentacles, used in an aggressive manner by many corals such as Galaxea and Euphyllia. Some anemones also utilize similar tentacles (Richardson, et al., 1979; Williams, R. B. 1991; Hidaka et al. 1997; Langmead and Chadwick-Furman. 1999a,b). About twenty or so years ago, the role of these tentacles as aggressive structures had not been elucidated, and they were often presumed to be functional as a means of getting extra food. If you take the time to do some reading in the older sea anemone and coral scientific literature, you may come across the term of "catch tentacle" used to describe these structures as they were thought to serve some special function in "catching" food. Well… they don't catch food, they are used to kill offending encroachers on the space of the coral or anemone, and they can do a pretty good job of it. These specialized tentacles contain a more potent armament of nematocysts, both in types and numbers than do regular tentacles. What I think is interesting about such tentacles is their absolute, and large, size. In many Euphyllia these tentacles may reach 12 to 15 inches in length, and they are more-or-less transitory. The animal will extend them out at will, and this may not be when the hobbyist is watching their tanks. The first time such structures are seen, it may be both enlightening and frightening. "

This is Bubble coral for sure. That’s why I never got this coral, although I think it is beautiful, that why I wrote that in a 14g it would be disaster.
I think I read (on this site) that torch corals can touch each other, frogspawn is in that category. However they sting everything else big time. They even send "darts" in the water stream to get other corals. Is there any truth to that?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3204697

This is Bubble coral for sure. That’s why I never got this coral, although I think it is beautiful, that why I wrote that in a 14g it would be disaster.
I think I read (on this site) that torch corals can touch each other, frogspawn is in that category. However they sting everything else big time. They even send "darts" in the water stream to get other corals. Is there any truth to that?
I don't think so. I have torch, frogspawn, bubble, hammer and they're all fine together, always have been. I had torch and frogspawn in my 14G at one point without any issues, but I also run carbon so that may way into the equation.
I actually have more of an issue with SPS's fighting with one another than any of my LPS

If you're going to do torch and frogspawn in a 14G, be prepared to frag the corals to keep them under control.