Which Salt are you using?

I've have used Instant Ocean Sea Salt for a while now and when I have been doing the test, I discovered the ammonia slight above normal! I started tying to figure this one out come to find that the water after using DO filter water tested great nothing in the water. After adding Instant Ocean and test the same water with a salt water kit Ammonia was above NORMAL. I finally got to the sucker! What brand would you recommend that does not have ammonia in it?

sminker

uhh....
you say above normal? normal is NO AMMONIA at all. your test kit could be bad. Or something contaminated your salt, water or your mixing buckets.
you should never pour anything in your tank that contains ammonia.
ive used Instant Ocean, Oceanic, and now Reef Crystals. never had a problem with any. dont like oceanic though, doesnt seem to keep the clarity like IO or Reef Crystals does for me.
I do love my Oceanic 7 gallon bucket though.

Its not a test kit have 2 different ones and they are not lying! I know ammonia should be 0 and the buckets are not used for anything but saltwater mixing. I test my water before I ever will dump it in the tank and I discovered this I have ready their are brands that will have this in them so its time for a change.... Is there anyone on here who actually test the water before and test's for ammonia etc.....

bigal0221

I have had my 125g tank up and running for about 7 months. I do weekly
20g water changes and I have used nothing but Instant Ocean. I always test the water prior to using and I have not ever had an ammonia reading.

salt210

I used IO for the first 3yrs and never had one problem with ammonia. yours might have gotten contaminated some how if that is the problem

loopy101

i use reef crystals as well. and the only thing i test my water for before putting it in the tank is ph,salinity, and temp.

life~reefer

Are you positively and absolutely sure that is the source? Just make sure it is not coming from somewhere else. I have used Instant Ocean with all my tanks and have never had a problem with ammonia.

loopy101

the only thing i can think of is that the salt is absorbing moisture from the air or some bugs got into there salt. is your salt kinda clumpy when you dump it into the water?

alvin

I now use Red Sea Coral Pro. Supposed to have a lot of Calcium and stuff. Instant Ocean doesn't have any additives, i guess that can be good and bad?

neoreef

Some cities treat their water supply with ammonia to produce chloramines that are much more stable than chlorine. If so, your RO or RODI will not remove it. It is very low level, and for most people their live rock processes the ammonia with no problem. If you want to remove it before hand, rig up a seasoned sponge filter to put into your water mixing container and run it overnight just after you mix up the saltwater.

I salt seems to have a slight bit of moisture.... in the bag slight cumps but not whole bag. I have test the water for everything after mixing and the ammonia is the only thing that is showing up there. Maybe for some reason it was the bag ...Next thing how should this salt be stored if the ammonia is coming from that? I keep it in a seal container.

cranberry

I can't come up with the appropriate combination of search terms, but ammonia in freshly mixed salt isn't a new thing. I totally forget the specifics or the outcome. But the info is out there and maybe a couple of years back?