WHICH SALT should I get now??

meowzer

OK...I can NOT get the aquavitro....and I need to order salt.....the place I get it from with free shipping carries the following
Instant Ocean
Instant Ocean RC
Coralife Marine Salt
Red sea coral pro salt
Microbe Lift salt (reef or regular)
Tropic Marin
Seachem (reef and regular)
suggestions?????

meowzer

This is the make-up of the micrbe lift....it's new and the bucket looks just like the aquavitro one...but it's black....LOL

Marine Mix Parameters:

Alkalinity

Boron (ppm)

Calcium (ppm)

Chloride (ppm)

Copper (ppm)

Iodide (ppm)

Magnesium (ppm)

Molybdenum (ppm)

pH @20.3 C

Potassium (ppm)

Sodium (ppm)

Strontium (ppm)

Sulfate (ppm)

Reef Mix Parameters:

Alkalinity

Boron (ppm)

Calcium (ppm)

Chloride (ppm)

Copper (ppm)

Iodide (ppm)

Magnesium (ppm)

Molybdenum (ppm)

pH @20.3 C

Potassium (ppm)

="Jason11" sab="1827">Sodium (ppm)

Strontium (ppm)

Sulfate (ppm)

S

siptang

I have heard pretty good things of RC until recently about the p04. :/

snakeblitz33

Which one? Tropic Marin or saltwater correct?
Saltwater correct has calcium separate from the mix so you can mix your water up in advance and store it and when you need it, just add calcium. Or if your calcium is too high in uour display tank, you can do a water. Hangs without the calcium to balance it all out. From what I've researched, a lot of serious aquarists use it. Plus, the profit goes towards aquaculture research.

snakeblitz33

I like the high quality tropic Marin. I don't do water changes that often so I like to start my tank with a high quality salt.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/389007/which-salt-should-i-get-now#post_3434553
How often do you do yours Snake.
What? Water changes? Once a year, if that. lol
I mainly use limewater/kalkwasser for calcium and alkalinity. I use kents essentials for the trace elements and iron. I use a scrubber to reduce/eliminate nitrate and phosphates. As long as the fish and corals are healthy and growing - I don't do a water change. When I can't balance everything out with calcium chloride, baking soda and magnesium chloride - then I'll do a 50% water change with whatever salt I have on hand. (preferably Tropic Marin)
Regardless of what salt you mix and use, the two main concerns with salt (for me) is how much calcium and alkalinity there is in the mix. A regular mix has a low calcium and alkalinity, but that's fine for me, because I know that if I drip limewater, I can always make those to parameters increase. I prefer tropic marin because it already has high calcium and alkalinity and it's also a high quality salt, free of phosphates and has a pretty good balanced blend of trace elements.

luvmyreef

I am wondering what to start using too. My local stores do not carry aqua vitro, and I really wanted to try it. I still have three bags of rc to use up first before I decide.

S

siptang

I found one at the store that ruined my tank.
I can return the RC salt and pay $5 difference and get this salt... :/ lol.

gemmy

I want to switch, but I am limited in my options as well. Microbe lift is sparking some interest for me. I may try it.

btldreef

I can not believe that SWF hasn't noticed all the buzz on their own forum about the AquaVitro Salinity!
Meowzer, do you want me to look into what a commercial shipping rate would be from my LFS that carries it for $75 for the 225G?

snakeblitz33

lol, not as easy as that. Usually requires a business license and tax ID number to buy wholesale from dry good suppliers.

deejeff442

hey meowser,i just sent aqua vitro an email asking what the deal is with nobody selling the salt online at a decent price.i will see what they tell me.