Which salt?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
RO/DI water's PH is low so how it can be around 8.4 without buffer?
It doesn't need to be 8.4. Once you add it to your tank the CO2 will equalize and the PH will be fine.
If you buffer it then the Alkalinity is going to be too high.

bluemantr

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
It doesn't need to be 8.4. Once you add it to your tank the CO2 will equalize and the PH will be fine.
If you buffer it then the Alkalinity is going to be too high.
Bang guy you are right i did use buffer for ph this morning before i post this and i just tested the alk again its way too high. Anything i can do to lower alk?
Thanks

wilsonreef

I too use Tropic Marin Pro Reef , and I like it, but of what you've got to pick from I would probably use the IO reef crystals if you've got a reef tank.

bluemantr

Originally Posted by wilsonreef
I too use Tropic Marin Pro Reef , and I like it, but of what you've got to pick from I would probably use the IO reef crystals if you've got a reef tank.
Thanks. That was i was thinking to give reef crystals a try.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
Bang guy you are right i did use buffer for ph this morning before i post this and i just tested the alk again its way too high. Anything i can do to lower alk?
Thanks
If you don't dose anything to maintain alkalinity it will naturally decrease at an acceptable rate.

bluemantr

If you don't dose anything to maintain alkalinity it will naturally decrease at an acceptable rate.
Forget dosing anything again! I will not do. I just did %10 water change and let it stay that way. High alk causes problem?

X

xoxox

Tropic marin is great but its also twice as much: IO and buffer.

bluemantr

Thanks Bang guy, It started to dropping. Last test was down to 14dKh First test was around 17dKh

murph145

i use tropic marin and im pretty hapopy with it... its a lil low on calcium but i can make that up with my ca reactor or dosing...
anyways when mixed my salt test out at 380 calcium... 9.3 alk... 1250 mg... and a Ph of 8.2 using a ph monitor... salt mixed at 1.025 at 78degrees for 24 hours
dont use sea chem like Bang said bad news same with via aqua ocean pure salts

bluemantr

Originally Posted by murph145
i use tropic marin and im pretty hapopy with it... its a lil low on calcium but i can make that up with my ca reactor or dosing...
anyways when mixed my salt test out at 380 calcium... 9.3 alk... 1250 mg... and a Ph of 8.2 using a ph monitor... salt mixed at 1.025 at 78degrees for 24 hours
dont use sea chem like Bang said bad news same with via aqua ocean pure salts
Thanks for all information. I would give reef crystals a try let see how it goes. If anyone using Reef crystals i would like to get some inputs.
Thanks

bang guy

I've used Reef Crystals before. It's a good salt.
There is a place for dosing a "buffer". When Alkalinity of the aquarium is low then it's appropriate to dose an Alkalinity additive ("buffer"). "Buffer" is a marketing term and it's really misleading. It is not appropriate to dose anything just to alter PH.
The problem with a very high Alkalinity is that it increases the chance for Calcium carbonate precipitation. When this happens your Calcium level will drop and cannot be raised, Magnesium drops, anything above the ambient water temp will become encrusted with calcium carbonate like the spindle of a water pump, the magnet on a powerhead, heaters, etc. This can damage the equipment.
Ironically, the Calcium carbonate precipitation caused by excess alkalinity can also lower PH.

bang guy

It didn't work well for me. My corals closed up and didn't look good until I used a different salt (Instant Ocean). This could be my fault though because I didn't acclimate the tank to the new salt.