Which Tangs?

sheni_angel

O.k ....out of "these" Tangs..........which would get your vote in a 125 gallon.
My favorite is the Naso! I also like the...
Acanthurus: Mimic Lemon Peel, Caribbean Blue, or White Faced.
Zebrasoma: Purple (but I really don't want aggressive fish)
Paracanthurus: Hippo.
Is a 125 o.k for a Naso, or too small. And if I got the Hippo, what would be recommendations for maybe more than one?
Thanks for info.:)

y2says

I think you'll be ok with a naso in a 125g. At my work they have one in 100g and it's about 6". I have a blue tang and a sailfin in my 180g and they get along fine. The blue tang is a bit more sensitive and needs really good water quality and a variety of foods. I soak my foods with garlic and feed them once a week with that to help prevent ick. Fun and colorful fish.

sheni_angel

I really do favor the Naso, although I love the brightness of the Hippo too. Should you put just "1" in a 125 gal?
Also specifically to Y2SAYS.....extra question....Could you tell me some good fish stores in Seattle, or south. Thanks.:)

y2says

Have you been to Midway Pets just south of the airport on Pacific Highway? That's where I get most of my stuff. Their pricing is the best too. False percs are 9.99, 3" hippo tang for 32.99, mandarin goby for 12.99, flame angel for 29.99, etc. Some of their corals are cheap too. I bought a huge hammer coral for $50. This thing is about 8" long! I also heard that the ***** in Puyallup also have stuff that is pretty cheap. I haven't been there for awhile though. However, I buy most of my corals online. I found a place that has 20 corals for $250 shipped.

sheni_angel

We have a ***** here in Olympia and that's where I always go to see what they have too. I haven't been to Midway Pets so maybe I'll have to check that out too. Thanks. It's nice to have some variety and choices.:p

bang guy

I can see no problem with a Naso and a Hippo in a 125. You might want to keep all the other fish (if any) small. Naso Tangs are not the easiest fish to keep but well worth it if you can pull it off.

sheni_angel

Back to Bang guy's reply: You're serious...I can have both in a 125 gallon without being mean.:p Those are both of the ones I really want!! I was just going to post that exact question! How cool!
My other fish will max out at 4 inches....Perculas, Mandarin, and Royal Gramma. Naso's are cool with the reef right? Being an open ocean species, would they pick on clams?

bang guy

It's difficult to guarantee what a fish will do in a captive environment but in general Tangs don't pick on clams. They really enjoy grazing off of live rock though.
Also in general Naso sp. will mix with Paracanthurus sp. I can guarantee some occational squabbles but they should be compatible providing you don't overcrowd the tank.
I would add the Naso first and then several months later rearrange the rock and add a much smaller Hippo.
I think 5' of swimming space is adequate for a Naso, some think 6' is the minimum. Just keep in mind that you are at or near the minimum space requirement so plan the rest of the tank with that in mind.

sterling

I have a 125 gallon and have a sailfin tang in it. I ADORE him, he gets into with my flame angel sometimes but it's always a draw :)

sheni_angel

Thanks for all this info guys..... I would've done it opposite naturally, adding the Hippo and then the Naso...so that's a good thought. Are the Hippos more aggressive than the Nasos, or are both pretty easy going. They both list as peaceful.