Which Type LR is best... LFS told me fiji is the worst one now

mikegray

he said fiji is the worst live rock today because something about over collected and now only comes in boulders cause nothing left and u can tell its broke from reef? is fiji bad or nO?

carshark

Originally Posted by MikeGray
he said fiji is the worst live rock today because something about over collected and now only comes in boulders cause nothing left and u can tell its broke from reef? is fiji bad or nO?

lately I have been hearing a serious craze for "aquacultured", its kinda pricey, at a nice discount I can get it for about 6.25 LB.....it has crazy amounts of life on it, i mean hitchiker galore, feathers, stars, all kinds of great life. and it comes completely submersed in water.. I think I am going to try 20 lbs of it, see how it goes... My buddy has about 15 lbs of it one small display tank at his store, the texture is crazy, bright purple, green, pink coralline all over it...thats how it comes!!! so I am looking more into that....
on another note: what he said is theoretically possible, but it could just be a line he uses to charge you fiji prices on base rock....dunno just a thought :thinking:

1journeyman

Fiji maybe over harvested. I recieved a small order from a company that supposedly only buys from a distributor that collects rubble (so as not to harm the reef.) The rock that I recieved was not that great and had very clear flat, bare sides that was clearly the results of cutting. I complained to the folks that I bought it from. They refunded my money and said they would look into it.

carshark

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMa
Send me the link to get any Aquacultured rock online i would love to get some Email is Cady.Brian@Gmail.com I would love to get some.
I will email you tomorrow, all i can find on it is info about how crazy awesome it is.. he has the supplier info. im goin over there tonight to pick up my new 400 watt MH set up!!! oh yeah!! anyway ill get a hold of you tomorrow to let you know where you can find it, heres a pic of some with zoos and sponges on it!!! this is how it comes, no BS! granted this an extreme example, but this is the real deal...

1journeyman

Do a web search for "florida" live rock. It's aqua cultured.
Be aware that it is muc hmore dense than Pacific rock though (as it is basically fossilized reef mined in the bahamas beofre being put back out to sea for a few years).
Also be sure to check it good for hitchhikers.. like various crabs and Mantis shrimp.

mikegray

well i just ordered 200lbs of carribean Live rock so i get it thursday.. and that may not fill my 125 how i want it so ill end up ordering another 100lbs for my tank and maybe throw some in fuge... ill let u kno how it is.

dmitry

I bought some aquacultured rock from *****. It was, indeed, covered in coraline algae: bright, deep purple and greens. They were very heavy, too. The store was selling them by piece, not pound. It was $25 for medium size and $50 for large. We weighted them at the store and they came out to about $6 per lb, which is less than their regular live rock.
I would recommend screening for unwanted pests no matter what kind of live rock you get before putting it into the tank. You just never know what's in there; I learned the hard way.

dmitry

There's a couple of ways. You can mix up super-salty water and dip the rocks in for a couple of minutes and see if anything jumps out. Or you can pour club soda on it and, again, see if anything jumps out. (Not sure why, but apparently club soda is reef safe!
) You might want to wear gloves while doing this. (Actually, always wear gloves when handling rocks; bristleworm will leave their stings in your flesh!
) You want to make sure there's no Mantis Shrimp hiding in the rocks.

dmitry

Just pour the soda on the rocks and don't jump if anything jumps out. But hopefully nothing will! Better be safe than sorry later. (Like I was!) :mad:
:scared:

mikegray

i was gonna fill a 5g bucket full of club soda and just put rocks in it. but yea ill just pour it and see if anything runs out... does it get rid of the worms too?
I read that bang guy said u need to put salt in the club soda otherwise ur gonna kill everything :( unless hes talking about fully cured live rock

bang guy

club soda with a little more than 1/2 cup of marine salt per gallon will keep the beneficial animals alive but they will still mostly bail out of the rock because of the PH and lack of O2.

vanos

I have caribbean live rock and it's good stuff. I also bought 6 lbs. of figi live rock todaywith a lot of coralline algae and some feather dusters and a polyp.