Whisk's Aquapod 24g journal

jcovercash

Very nice setup. I am in the process of setting up an AP24 myself. This is my first experiance with saltwater so im trying to learn as much as I can, so far im enjoying it and have soaked up a good bit of knowledge from reading the posts on this forum.
I like the eggcrate mod that you have did, im sure this is much more effective than the stock little blue filters (which I seem to be having trouble with currently on keeping debris out of my tank, it still seems a little couldy even though it has been running for a few days now.
I was wondering if you could give me more info on it exactly. I know you have a few shelves built (two in your original picture). On the top you put filter floss right, which is just a polyester filter material?? Then on the lower rack you put chemi-pure? Now the filter floss is the only actual mechanical filter that the water is running past right? The chemi-pure bag is just in the water doing its thing correct?
So if I build an eggcrate rack the most important aspect of it is that it needs to catch water on the filter floss when it flows over the top weir of the tank (which I have already modded to add in a final peice to make it actually skim the top having my rear tanks 3-4 inchs of water lower than the front area). It doesn't really matter where the chemi-pure would sit then correct? If I put in filter floss/chemi-pure would that we enough filtration? I currently have 10 lbs of liverock and will be adding more today from my LFS. I am also using 20 lbs of live sand.
I just want to get rid of the blue filter/bio-balls/chalk blocks that come with it stock and do whatever I can to get crystal clear water.
Anyone who can help please chime in though.
Great looking tank setup!

whisk

thanks for the comments and i'm glad my thread has helped you out. Let me help you with your questions. answers are in red.
Originally Posted by jcovercash
http:///forum/post/2969810
Very nice setup. I am in the process of setting up an AP24 myself. This is my first experiance with saltwater so im trying to learn as much as I can, so far im enjoying it and have soaked up a good bit of knowledge from reading the posts on this forum.
I like the eggcrate mod that you have did, im sure this is much more effective than the stock little blue filters (which I seem to be having trouble with currently on keeping debris out of my tank, it still seems a little couldy even though it has been running for a few days now.
i too have a little debri floating around in my water but it isnt cloudy. it could be the sand still settling. give it some time it will clear up.
I was wondering if you could give me more info on it exactly. I know you have a few shelves built (two in your original picture). On the top you put filter floss right, which is just a polyester filter material?? Then on the lower rack you put chemi-pure? Now the filter floss is the only actual mechanical filter that the water is running past right? The chemi-pure bag is just in the water doing its thing correct?
you are correct the floss is on the top rack, you can buy it from the fish store, i got a big ol bag of it for $7, been using it four months now, changing it every week and i dont even think i even used up a quarter of the bag yet. you are right the water passes through it. its main purpose is to catch detrius and debri, and it works fine, i have nice soggy brown glop of filter floss at the end of each week. the chemipure does just sit there, doing its own thing but it does work better if there is some flow going through it but right now it sits on the bottom of the rack.

So if I build an eggcrate rack the most important aspect of it is that it needs to catch water on the filter floss when it flows over the top weir of the tank (which I have already modded to add in a final peice to make it actually skim the top having my rear tanks 3-4 inchs of water lower than the front area). It doesn't really matter where the chemi-pure would sit then correct? If I put in filter floss/chemi-pure would that we enough filtration? I currently have 10 lbs of liverock and will be adding more today from my LFS. I am also using 20 lbs of live sand.
I just want to get rid of the blue filter/bio-balls/chalk blocks that come with it stock and do whatever I can to get crystal clear water.
I think you understand quite well the purpose of the eggcrate rack. i built my rack in a way the shelf with chemipure is suspended a little above the bottom of the tank, that way more water can flow around it. I think as long as you get a total of 25lbs of LR, the chemipure and filterfloss, (your sand is perfect) you will be fine. I currently have upgraded my rack to also support a chaeto fuge and also have added purigen just to "go all out" but when i ran just the basics, my parameters were steady then. My advice to you is get those basics started and then you dont have to use the bioballs or sponges. Your water will clear up in time. Also, measure your rack and take your time building it because if you rush it you may get frustrated to find it can be a little akward to fit in the back chamer of the aquapod.
here is drawing of how my back chamber is setup now. hope its helpful to you. good luck!!!

whisk

here you go nanonewb, sorry about the quality, iphones dont like to take aquarium pics i guess
im rearranging my rock a bit before i start placing these frags in my tank. not pictured are the candy cane and small pulsating xenia.
clockwise starting from top left: armor of god, supergreen, tub blues, green palys, gold tipped cloves, lunar eclipse

toadstool

orange crush acan

nano-newb1983

WOW!!! I love the zoas, in about a month this guy i know is going to have some AOG zoas yours are bueatiful.. Also im going to be getting some blue hornets

jcovercash

Originally Posted by Whisk
http:///forum/post/2970925
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure I had the basic idea down but I wasn't 100% sure. I am going to my LFS tomorrow to pickup the supplies and stop by Lowes to see if they have the material to make the rack, hopefully I don't strike out.
I upgraded to the Maxi-Jet 1200, and want to either add a koralia 1 or nano also.... Does this not seem to be to much flow for a tank this small? One of my LFS said that it would be way to much flow for a 24 gallon tank..... I know a lot of people on here run this setup so I just want to make sure my fish don't take a beating with too much water movement.
Ill hopefully start my own thread in a few days, although it won't be a day one startup since my tank is already running. I just finished building my custom stand tonight though so I'll have to figure out how I'm going to swap over it it first now LOL.
Thanks again, and I look forward to sharing in this hobby... This is actually my Girlfriends tank I got her for her B-Day, but now I've been thinking about getting me a 12 Gallon pod for myself LOL.
Thanks,
Josh

whisk

http:///forum/post/2971620
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure I had the basic idea down but I wasn't 100% sure. I am going to my LFS tomorrow to pickup the supplies and stop by Lowes to see if they have the material to make the rack, hopefully I don't strike out.
I upgraded to the Maxi-Jet 1200, and want to either add a koralia 1 or nano also.... Does this not seem to be to much flow for a tank this small? One of my LFS said that it would be way to much flow for a 24 gallon tank..... I know a lot of people on here run this setup so I just want to make sure my fish don't take a beating with too much water movement.
Ill hopefully start my own thread in a few days, although it won't be a day one startup since my tank is already running. I just finished building my custom stand tonight though so I'll have to figure out how I'm going to swap over it it first now LOL.
Thanks again, and I look forward to sharing in this hobby... This is actually my Girlfriends tank I got her for her B-Day, but now I've been thinking about getting me a 12 Gallon pod for myself LOL.
Thanks,
Josh

the flow is perfect, i did a lot of research about this when i first started and a huge majority of people have a maxijet 1200 and a korailia 1 in there. A korailia nano is also a good option. the best thing about these is you can adjust where you want to aim the flow. You want good flow in your tank, its important. good luck!

whisk

tank is going great, i rescaped a little and got my frags placed, its looking good. I picked up a new sixline but hes acting kinda funny, i hope he doesnt have a parasite because he keeps rubbing against some rocks.
other than that i need to get a new camera so i can start posting pics again and sorry i havent been posting much lately but work has been very busy. thanks for asking.

nano-newb1983

get a camera boy.. i wanna see the beauty of the tank. also saw the pic of your acans, i hate you lol... I want me some acan action

nissan577

Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983
http:///forum/post/2981486
get a camera boy.. i wanna see the beauty of the tank. also saw the pic of your acans, i hate you lol... I want me some acan action
+111111111111111111111111111111111111 cmon whisk!

mckevinfang

hey Ryan hows it going man!!! nice pick ups did you go to the frag swap in Sacramento? how was it? need some more frags? i can toss a frag or two your way if you want. Let me know

nissan577

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2984050
hey Ryan hows it going man!!! nice pick ups did you go to the frag swap in Sacramento? how was it? need some more frags? i can toss a frag or two your way if you want. Let me know

i want frags man! ill take anything!
woohoo! and were are pics man!
we all miss you! update! lol!

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2984054
i can definitely send you some nissan but you got to cover the shipping overnight from SF to FL and the box and Styrofoam but free frags for you i can give you 1 or 2 no prob

nissan577

no way. i can do that. how much will be shipping? can you check? idk how to. and also do i need to send you the box?

whisk

Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983
http:///forum/post/2981486
i know, maybe ill go buy one this week...i could take one with the iphone but it wont do the tank justice.
Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2984050

its going good. I went to the frag swap in Hayward and it was awesome, i'll post some pics of it along with some of my tank when i get my new camera. thanks for the offer on frags, i have plenty for now but i will let you know when im looking for more. i still have some from the swap i need to place in my tank. The next ones on my list are purple cloves, eagle eye zoas, and rics!

http:///forum/post/2984054
thanks Nissan. The best update I can give you is my sixline is doing well and the corals are growing. I also saw my cleaner shrimp cleaning my firefish last night as it was sleeping (or trying to sleep anyways). I hope to get a camera soon, i'm pretty happy with how the tank looks.

whisk

http:///forum/post/2984956
we are to! with pics!
lol. glad to see things are growing! howcome your not on no more?
been extremely busy with work lately. Sorry about that, i come on when i can.

whisk

Thought I would give an update since it has been so long. While i dont have my new camera, i pulled out my old 2mp camera and snapped a shot.
Did some tests this weekend
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
pH 7.8
calcium 440
phosphates 0
yikes, my pH is low! i'm going to start doing 20% water changes a week instead of 10% to get it back up. I'm guessing this and low flow in one area is causing the red slime algae. I siphoned out the cyano and moved the koralia a bit to get rid of it.
Here's the pic, taken 2 weeks ago.

nano-newb1983

Love the pic dude... I had a cyano problem about a month ago... WC and syphoning it out it was i did... Was a challenge but its possible to control.. So sounds like your doing it right... Keep it up and good luck man