White Bumps Blue Hippo Tang

wattsupdoc

Set up the 55, leave the rock sand corals inverts in the DT. But remove the filtration or at least any filters/sponges/(filter sponges that is) etc, and place on the 55. If you have any old filters you used to use on the 55 use them on the DT temporarily. You wont see a cycle on the DT. And you'll havwe a minimal one in the 55. Place all the fish, not yet in QT,in the 55 imediatly (after acclimating). Then start doing water changwes to begin the hypo process. You will be dodging the cycle for this time at least a little. Then once in hypo, use the amquel. Actually, start dosing it right afetr introducing the fish, it cant hurt. If you can get enough of the really nasty filters on the 55 you will dodge a bullet there. Once you get the 55 into hypo, you can drip acclimate her to the 55 and placde it there. But you still will need to bring it back out of hypo over a week at seperate time from the other fish. Unless it has only been a couple days since it's been in hypo, then you may be able to make the stretch with her in for the whole time with the others. The thing is, Tangs dont allways respond to hypo well. If you start seeing any blotches or wierd looking spots, then you might need to end the hypo. For her anyways.

Alright, All of my fish have been in hypo for six days. Here's my question. How long should the stage where the white dots are visible should last. All of my other fish's spots have disappeared besides the tang. He has new ones, and some appear to be falling off.

al mc

I had a tang take about 10 days before I stopped seeing any evidence of old or new ICH spots once. If all the other fish appear to be OK and you feel that
you are keeping the SG at 1.009 with 2-3x daily monitoring and adding RO top off water, as needed, you should be OK. I would also confirm that the 3 week hypo clock starts when you see the last white Ich spot disappear.
My biggest problems with hypo always centered around keeping the SG and pH stable.

That's what I don't understand...my blue hippo tang was in hypo, and he lost all of his cysts, than I moved him back into hypo with the other fish...same ppm's and specific gravity...than he gets them again...

m0nk

Only thing I can think is that the SG/Salinity is slightly off. Check the calibration of your refractometer.

To be honest with you I have one on order...I have used my hydrometer...My hospital tank was mixed from instant ocean salt, 55 gallons. I had a starting sg of 1.023, now it's at 1.009. I have my tank temp at exact 75, which my hydrometer is calibrated for. I know hydrometers aren't accurate, that's why I have a refractometer on order because absolutely no one in a 50 mile radius carries one.

m0nk

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
To be honest with you I have one on order...I have used my hydrometer...My hospital tank was mixed from instant ocean salt, 55 gallons. I had a starting sg of 1.023, now it's at 1.009. I have my tank temp at exact 75, which my hydrometer is calibrated for. I know hydrometers aren't accurate, that's why I have a refractometer on order because absolutely no one in a 50 mile radius carries one.
Well, honestly, without a refractometer you won't be able to accurately measure your salinity, and therefore can't be assured it's at 1.009 (14ppt). It definitely sounds like the salinity might have gone up slightly (which can happen if you're not able to account for water evaporation) which would have allowed ich to come back. The salinity needs to be at proper levels for 3 full weeks after all signs of ich have disappeared from the fish, so that all life stages are able to die off. I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear/read, but it's likely the problem here. I hope that helps.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was just hoping I could get out of the visible stage before the refractometer arrived. I have the whole weekend still. I guess I am going to have to get some chemical treatment till then.

My refractometer says 14ppt is 1.011 specific gravity. Is that right? Plus, I used the 14ppt side to do my hypo. Is that what I should be using?

Alright, I'm about to pull my hair out! My coral beauty is losing his color and hiding all the time...The blue hippo tang lost his ick, got it back, lost it, got it back, lost it, and now has gotten it back...I have been in true hypo for about a week, since I got my refractometer. I use Rid Ich before, just to help them out alittle...Anyways, I do not want to use copper treatments, but I don't know what else to do...Why won't the ick go away...my refracto is reading 14ppt. Should I bring it lower...I don't know

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
Alright, I'm about to pull my hair out! My coral beauty is losing his color and hiding all the time...The blue hippo tang lost his ick, got it back, lost it, got it back, lost it, and now has gotten it back...I have been in true hypo for about a week, since I got my refractometer. I use Rid Ich before, just to help them out alittle...Anyways, I do not want to use copper treatments, but I don't know what else to do...Why won't the ick go away...my refracto is reading 14ppt. Should I bring it lower...I don't know

You are not doing hyposalinity until your Sg reads 1.009 on a refractometer. What you have witnessed on your tang is the parasites clinging on for dear life. Bring the sg down to 1.009 and hold it there. This is extremely important.

Well, my flame angel and my coral beauty have died. Coral just lost all color, and flame got sucked up in powerhead. My stupid damsels and that idiot hippo are still alive. I don't even think, I want them back in my tank.