White colt coral

meowzer

I had been battling a red slime algae in my seahorse tank and drastically turned back the lighting....I have it on 1 1/2 hours in the morning to feed, then from 5-9 at night (it's the pc lighting that comes with the JBJ cube)
I am thinking this seriously hurt the color of my colt.....they are all very much alive, only white. I am going to slowly turn the time my lights are on up..
question: Will the colt regain it's coloring?????

michaeltx

its possible as long as it gets the light and food it needs.
watch out for melting of the coral if it starts to melt be ready to frag it and keep the good parts and watch them.
I love colts and leathers in general they give a good look to the tank IMO
Mike

meowzer

LOL...I have colt and Kenya....and leather tree all thru my tanks....
this is my first experience with it turning white though....I will watch it for the "sliming" I have seen that happen with some of my Kenya...
thanks

kilofey

How white is it? my kenya has a pale pink stalk, dont mean to hijack, but is yours a whiteish-pale pink like mine? Now im wondering if mine are ok, could u possibly post a pic? Im actually not sure if I have a kenya or a colt

meowzer

Lights went out....I can take a pic tomorrow night....colt and kenya are very similar in coloring....colt though has teenier branch's (or polyps) (or clusters) LOL...not sure what they are called
arms maybe

spanko

Lack of lighting has probably caused some bleaching. Should color back up with the return to normal lighting schedule. As Michael said watch for melting though.

meowzer

Here are the pics as promised
WHITE...VERY WHITE COLT

A normal color colt in my 10G

and these next 2 pics are Kenya in my 29G under T5's.....BUT notice the slight difference in the branch's

snakeblitz33

Well, in short - it's stressed. The zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae within the tissues of the coral) have evacuated. The coral is feeding on plankton alone. If the algae doesn't come back soon then the coral has a really good possibility of dying. Feed often, even though your tank has cyano - and I recommend trying a home made turf algae scrubber to keep your nitrates down without pulling food out of the water column.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///forum/thread/387327/white-colt-coral#post_3408283
Well, in short - it's stressed. The zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae within the tissues of the coral) have evacuated. The coral is feeding on plankton alone. If the algae doesn't come back soon then the coral has a really good possibility of dying. Feed often, even though your tank has cyano - and I recommend trying a home made turf algae scrubber to keep your nitrates down without pulling food out of the water column.
Yes..LOL...I know it is in trouble....kinda.....BUT this is the 28G JBJ cube that has seahorses...so I really can not do anything too crazy
I am doing weekly w/c's....and I can give some extra coral food though hmmmmmm...I will add some to this tank
and I am increasing the light time again...BUT slowly....I now run them 2 hours in the morning....and from 4-9 p.m. in a day or 2 I will increase it a little more
I use h20Life frozen coral foods
they contain: H2O Life Coral Food Mix is a very special mixture of tiny zooplankton mixed with Spirulina, Isochrysis and Nanochloropsis (three types of phytoplankton). It provides a complete and nutritious diet for all types of live corals (stony corals & soft corals) and other filter-feeding marine invertebrates.

S

smartorl

You are looking at this all wrong! Take a note from the anemone people and sell it for major $ as "rare" white colt mutation.

kilofey

Hmmm, maybe I have a colt lol, seeing the 2 side by side makes me think colt. It sucks that urs isnt doing very well, I think its very pretty when white lol, too bad thats not the norm for them. Mine is between the 2 colors of yours. Have you considered putting your sickie in your other tank until its looking a little better & until you can narrow down the problem so u dont end up doing anything too drastic too quickly to save it & risk your sea horses?

meowzer

NAH...I'm pretty sure it was from lack of light....so I am gonna increase it as I stated above.....They are all attached to rocks...LOL...SO I am not gonna tear apart the SH tank