White Ribbon Eel (Ghost Eel) Pics & Video

grabbitt

It reminds me of a dove... So pretty from a distance, and then so fugly once you get a good look at their face up close.
Nice eel

I was just reading another thread, saying eels in nano's is a huge no, so let me know if anything goes wrong :) beautiful tank and eel and good luck with it, hope he behaves :p

member007

Originally Posted by ChronicCoral35
http:///forum/post/2596975
I was just reading another thread, saying eels in nano's is a huge no, so let me know if anything goes wrong :) beautiful tank and eel and good luck with it, hope he behaves :p
Thanks! So far so good. From my experience Eels are not too active. They usually hide and the only thing you see is their head. They usually come out more when they get hungry.

member007

Originally Posted by arasa
http:///forum/post/2619817
Hey Member 007
How often do you feed the eel, and what is the maintenance like for it?
What's up! I feed it every 2-4 days until he is full. As far as the maintenace I am not sure what you are asking for? If you are asking about a water quality, then he must be very hardy because my water quality is not perfect. The only perfect thing in my tank is the temperature because I am using a chiller. Let me know if you have any other questions?

arasa

With regards to the maintenance, how often do you do water changes? And while you have the tank open with the siphon, is there a chance that he may jump out?
I planning on getting one very soon, (you are very persuasive), but any ideas on what I can do to induce it to feed?
Thanks

member007

Originally Posted by arasa
http:///forum/post/2621056
With regards to the maintenance, how often do you do water changes? And while you have the tank open with the siphon, is there a chance that he may jump out?
I planning on getting one very soon, (you are very persuasive), but any ideas on what I can do to induce it to feed?
Thanks
Water change depeneds on what you have in your tank. I have 5 fish + Eel and I should do a water change every week on my 24g. However I usually do it every two weeks. Then again I have a small refugium, on it as well so I am sure it helps.
Just make sure that you seal the top and there is no way he can get out. My last Eel found a way to jump even though 99% of my top was covered.
As far as eating you should get e feeding stick, and frozen silversides. If he is not intrested in these than you will have to try some "live" food.
Good luck!

arasa

And you are very right! First time i netted him in after dripping he tried to jump out! They are magnificent creatures though.

member007

UPDATE: 12/15/08
So far so good. He doesn't bother inverts, and in my opinion he is a great addition to a reef tank. The only thing I would worry about is him eating a blenny or gobie. I don't have either one, but I did at one point have a diamond watchmen, and the eel was very interested in it. I only had the goby for a few days(holding him for a friend). I also had a midas blenny that was sick and died. Eel didn't care for him... I would say any "slow" moving fis with a shape of silverside would be at risk.

alix2.0

sorry, didnt really read the thread, just like the first 4 posts and looked at the pics... what size tank is that?

subielover

Wow, I am impressed. With your stocklist I would think your tank was just a bomb waiting to go off but you seem to be pulling it off. Congrats and keep posting videos. What else is currently in the tank with it?

member007

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2877435
Wow, I am impressed. With your stocklist I would think your tank was just a bomb waiting to go off but you seem to be pulling it off. Congrats and keep posting videos. What else is currently in the tank with it?
Yeah -we all like to watch videos :) I'll try to get something good for you guys.
I actually made a lot of changes as far as stock list. Right now I have an Eel, 2 clowns, 6-line wrasse, Fiji damsel, and helmet cowfish(new). All fish are peaceful together and there is no aggression except for clowns chasing my fiji damsel. I am not planning on adding any more fish at this point. Aggression was mostly the reason why I kept changing my stock list. It's not easy to keep many fish together in a small tank. As far as bio-load, my nitrates are nowhere near zero, but extra filtration and frequent water changes help me fight them. Here is my equipment:
1. 24g Aquapod +150w sunpod MH lighting + chiller + phosbane + 3g hang on refugium with skimmer
2. I also connected my tank with my 5g frag tank where I have a large bio-wheel filter on. This way I have more water volume and extra filtration. There is no fish in there. Maybe one day I'll just turn it into another refugium.