White spots?

mind83

There are some white spots on a couple of my fish. Almost look like pimples. Does anyone know what this might be? Is it a problem? I have about 6 fish, I would say that 2 have these small white dots on them. Thanks

kylev

I'd say it sounds like ich but pictures will help everyone identify your issue. If it is ich then yes its definitely a problem and needs to be dealt with

mind83

WTF!!! I'm really starting to get pissed with this whole saltwater fish tank. I just want to have some fish that swim and stay alive and are happy. I googled ich and yes that is what it looks like. Is there any thing I can do to get rid of this? Or is it basically a death sentence to all of my fish? Please help I don't want all of my fish to die.

slice

Not at all a death sentence, should only be an annoyance. Read here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/127007/faqs-fish-diseases-treatments-quarantine-health-info

kylev

If you list your tank stats and what's inside of it, it would help everyone give you suggestions on what to do

mind83

I'm new here just to point out. Also new to the fish tank world. I have a 55 gallon tank, with a good amount of live rock in it. I also have 6 fish with a sand bottom. I'm not sure what other details to give. Thanks

btldreef

Well, let's start with this:
Pictures will be the most helpful since you're unsure of what is in your tank and what is running your tank. Most of us can tell you what you are running just from a picture.
How old is the tank?
How much rock is in there?
What fish are in the tank?
What are you water parameters? (Nitrate, Temperature, pH, etc)
What do you feed?
Is there any way for you to set up a quarantine tank?
Do you have an invertebrates? (Corals/shrimp/snails/anemones/crabs)

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind83 http:///forum/thread/381602/white-spots#post_3325213
I'm new here just to point out. Also new to the fish tank world. I have a 55 gallon tank, with a good amount of live rock in it. I also have 6 fish with a sand bottom. I'm not sure what other details to give. Thanks
what are the names of the books you use and used for info into getting started into the hobbby

mind83

http://asset.soup.io/asset/1212/4490_c055_350.jpeg That is the link to the picture of my tank.
I have three snails and one hermit crab. So I can't do the copper thing.
I feed the fish either frozen mix, flakes, or pellets.
All of the Parameters are good I take a sample to the LFS.
Two Clowns, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, PJ cardinal, firefish goby, and orange tail damsel.
I just found out that I cant have tangs so don't need people to yell at me about that.
I haven't read one book on saltwater fish tanks. My girlfriends brother set everything up for us and told me he would help but so far he hasn't done anything. The tank is about 5 months old and things were finally starting to calm down till this ich thing happened.

lil.guppy

Dont dip them in freshwater it will stress them out more and could make it worse...
Sounds like your going to have to take your fish out..put them in a quaratine tank and leave your display empty for a minimum of 8 weeks.
If your constantly getting ick out breaks are you adding new fish without quarantining them? Does your salinity stay stable? How about your temperature of the water? Water perimiters? Any aggression in the tank?

btldreef

I should have added, the dip method really only works for new fish before you add them to your system.

mind83

Salt and temp stay normal. Really only one fish looks bad. A couple have a few spot here and there. Than some of the fish don't have any at all. Right now the only treatment I am giving them is I soak their food in garlic and vitamin C before I feed it to them. They are all eating, even the really bad looking fish. Does anyone have a video on quarantine tank? Like how to set one up, or get this going? I really don't want to lose any of my fish. The only one to show signs of aggression is the fish that is the worst off. He didn't even start that till last night. Is quarantine tank really the only way to go at this point? Thanks for your help.

btldreef

Did you read the link that Slice provided for you in the fourth post of this thread? Everything you need is there.

mind83

Ok after reading the link that was provided I have only one question. Do I drop the salt in the tank they currently reside or do I have to make a quarentine tank and drop the salt in that? I wasn't really sure when reading. Thanks for the help.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind83 http:///forum/thread/381602/white-spots#post_3326819
Ok after reading the link that was provided I have only one question. Do I drop the salt in the tank they currently reside or do I have to make a quarentine tank and drop the salt in that? I wasn't really sure when reading. Thanks for the help.
Re-read post #4 in the thread about Hyposalinity where it says:
NOTE: This procedure can not be performed in an environment containing live rock, deep sand bed (DSB) or inverts [including crabs, snails, corals, etc.] If you have a strictly Fish-Only setup, then the treatment can be done within the display, otherwise, you will need to treat infected fish in a quarantine/hospital tank
While you are deliberating on how to do this, make sure your fish are getting good nutrition. A good vitamin soak will help them fight the infection.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381602/white-spots#post_3326524
It can. The salt water ich parasite can't survive in fresh water and will "jump off" the fish.
This is actually not true. Whatever ick parasite that is killed by using the fresh water dip dies due to Osmotic shock. Also a fresh water dip can help rid some of the parasites no matter when you dip it (before or after it introduced into your DT)

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/381602/white-spots#post_3326822
This is actually not true. Whatever ick parasite that is killed by using the fresh water dip dies due to Osmotic shock. Also a fresh water dip can help rid some of the parasites no matter when you dip it (before or after it introduced into your DT)
And it doesn't kill all, just those close enough to the surface. It cuts down on the numbers, but it doesn't eliminate the parasite.

mind83

Ok who do I believe than? lil.guppy said not to do the fresh water dip the rest of you guys seem to think that this will kill the ich. Why cant I do the salt drop if I have live rock or live sand? I don't have the means to set up a quarantine tank. I have provided a picture earlier of what I have. I am new to this so if someone could just spell out to me what I have to do that would be helpful. Basically talk to me like I'm a ra-tard and help me out please.