Who for president

jovial

Originally Posted by rudedog40
All the facts I'm stating are coming from the same web sites you get your information from. Unfortunately, neither you or I and substantiate either, because most of these sites are either Pro Life or Pro Choice driven, and they can skew the numbers in their favor any way they want.
As far as my wavering as to when an abortion can occur, I agree with how the current abortion laws are defined. If a woman did want to have an abortion after the second trimester, she couldn't find a doctor to legally perform it.
Not true many MDs perform late term abortions. Dr Tiller is one of them.
Why do I say life doesn't truly begin until this time? Let's take this scenario. A loved one of yours is involved in a tragic accident. You get to the hospital, and the doctor tells you that he/she is completely brain dead. Scientifcally, the life the person had as you knew it was gone. With no brain activity, there is no recollection of who they are, what they did, or even how to keep their critical organs from functioning. This individual has no DNR recommendation. They are leaving it up you, the family members, to decide whether to let machines keep the major organs going, or ceasing medical assitance to keep them alive. Do you 'pull the plug', Yes or No?
If you say Yes, then you are essentially doing the same thing as an abortion. You are ceasing the life of an individual who can no longer make the decision to live or die. This brain dead indivual is the same as a fetus that's younger than 10 weeks old.
This is why it's important to establish whether or not someone would want the plug to be pulled before a scenario like this occurs. An unborn baby dosent have any choice in the matter.
To be honest, this discussion is starting to become pointless. No matter what I say to you, or you to me, neither of us is going to change our minds on how we feel about this issue. What it boils down to, is do you let the government tell you what you can or can't do with your own body. Whether it's morally right or not is irrelavent. If you tighten the current laws on abortion, then you might as well do the same with the other laws you stated. If a woman can't have the choice to terminate a pregnancy on her own free will, then the individuals who are harming their bodies with smoking or drinking excessively, and the overeaters who live off of fatty foods from fast food restaurants, can no longer do those as well. You can try justifying the differentiation of abortion to the issues above because you are affecting another life, but bottom line, it's a life whether it's one or two. So close down the tobacco farms, bring back prohibition, and shut down every Wendy's, KFC, and McDonalds. If you allow them to stay operational, but don't allow abortions, then you are just letting another type of murderer go free.
Once again an unborn child has no choice.

jovial

Originally Posted by rudedog40
All the facts I'm stating are coming from the same web sites you get your information from. Unfortunately, neither you or I and substantiate either, because most of these sites are either Pro Life or Pro Choice driven, and they can skew the numbers in their favor any way
they want.
As far as my wavering as to when an abortion can occur, I agree with how the current abortion laws are defined. If a woman did want to have an abortion after the second trimester, she couldn't find a doctor to legally perform it.
Why do I say life doesn't truly begin until this time? Let's take this scenario. A loved one of yours is involved in a tragic accident. You get to the hospital, and the doctor tells you that he/she is completely brain dead. Scientifcally, the life the person had as you knew it was gone. With no brain activity, there is no recollection of who they are, what they did, or even how to keep their critical organs from functioning. This individual has no DNR recommendation. They are leaving it up you, the family members, to decide whether to let machines keep the major organs going, or ceasing medical assitance to keep them alive. Do you 'pull the plug', Yes or No?
If you say Yes, then you are essentially doing the same thing as an abortion. You are ceasing the life of an individual who can no longer make the decision to live or die. This brain dead indivual is the same as a fetus that's younger than 10 weeks old.
This is why it's important to establish whether or not someone would want the plug to be pulled before a scenario like this occurs. An unborn baby dosent have any choice in the matter. If I were to become a vegetable Id want the plug pulled on me which is why Ive made this clear before hand. An unborn child has no choice in the matter.
To be honest, this discussion is starting to become pointless. No matter what I say to you, or you to me, neither of us is going to change our minds on how we feel about this issue. What it boils down to, is do you let the government tell you what you can or can't do with your own body. Whether it's morally right or not is irrelavent. If you tighten the current laws on abortion, then you might as well do the same with the other laws you stated. If a woman can't have the choice to terminate a pregnancy on her own free will, then the individuals who are harming their bodies with smoking or drinking excessively, and the overeaters who live off of fatty foods from fast food restaurants, can no longer do those as well. You can try justifying the differentiation of abortion to the issues above because you are affecting another life, but bottom line, it's a life whether it's one or two. So close down the tobacco farms, bring back prohibition, and shut down every Wendy's, KFC, and McDonalds. If you allow them to stay operational, but don't allow abortions, then you are just letting another type of murderer go free.

tankboy07

It'll be a close one for everyone---I haven't been watching most of it just yet, I'll wait for the two weeks before voting to actually give a hoot. Prolly bad on my part but eh.
Well two choices will arise: abortion and gay marriage.
And that will tear the states apart.

btb9000

Originally Posted by phunckie
You did a much better job of saying what I've been trying to say.
I agree with you 100%.
I knew there had to be at least ONE more Ron Paul supporter around here.
I don't know about where you are, but the support numbers are growing rampantly around here.....

Ever since I read his mission statements & watched my first interview with him, I've been a supporter.
I am probably done arguing with these people, soon. It simply isn't worth my time.
I am also glad to see another Ron Paul supporter.

Around here, Ron Paul seems to be catching, but its very slow..

btb9000

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Ron Paul is an isolationist... He refers to himself as a "noninterventionist" in the interview I qouted on page 2 of this thread. He wants to cut and run from Iraq, withdraw from NATO and the UN, withdraw our Indian Ocean Fleets from the Persian Gulf, etc.
We are winning in Iraq. Have you talked to people over there right now? Democracy is working.... I find it curious that you spoke to 5-6 refugees. Why are they here? Why are they refugees here?
How about talking to the THOUSANDS of refugees that fled during Saddam's dictatorship? How about talking to the hundreds of thousands of Kurds that lived in fear every day of their life under Saddam. 75% didn't want "our" form of government? Great. We didn't install our form of government... They voted, remember? The incredible turn out in the face of potential death during their elections should prove to the world that they do want freedom...
We "haven't won" in Iraq because Iraq has been flooded with foreign fighters, weapons and bombs from foreign countries, and Al Qaeda. We aren't fighting to local population there, we are fighting terrorists, ilsamic radicals, militias, and foreign operatives.
Quoted from Dictionary . com:
Noninterventionism
- abstention by a nation from interference in the affairs of other nations or in those of its own political subdivisions.
Isolationism
- A national policy of abstaining from political and economic relations with other countries.
There IS a difference. Ron Paul has said his supports free trade. Ron Paul says he will intervene when we are freedom/lives are at jeopardy. What Ron Paul doesn't want to do is impose his will.
Ron Paul still will have Economic ties to several nations, but he would not intervene with their politics. Their political disposition is NONE of our business.
Getting it now?

rudedog40

Originally Posted by Jovial
This is why it's important to establish whether or not someone would want the plug to be pulled before a scenario like this occurs. An unborn baby dosent have any choice in the matter. If I were to become a vegetable Id want the plug pulled on me which is why Ive made this clear before hand. An unborn child has no choice in the matter.
WHO CARES!!!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by BTB9000
Quoted from Dictionary . com:
Noninterventionism
- abstention by a nation from interference in the affairs of other nations or in those of its own political subdivisions.
Isolationism
- A national policy of abstaining from political and economic relations with other countries.
There IS a difference. Ron Paul has said his supports free trade. Ron Paul says he will intervene when we are freedom/lives are at jeopardy. What Ron Paul doesn't want to do is impose his will.
Ron Paul still will have Economic ties to several nations, but he would not intervene with their politics. Their political disposition is NONE of our business.
Getting it now?
Yes, I do get it. They amount to the same thing...
He would pull out of our Strongest alliances and give up our veto vote in the UN... To use your quoted definition: "A national policy of abstaining from political
and economic relations with other countries
"