Who gives blood?

gio28

i finally gave blood today!

it was cool, the worst part was the prick they do on your finger not the needle itself. but none of it bothered me...and they made me wait and eat after for a while, so i missed more class

coral keeper

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3151538
i finally gave blood today!

it was cool, the worst part was the prick they do on your finger not the needle itself. but none of it bothered me...and they made me wait and eat after for a while, so i missed more class

Give blood, eat free/yummy food, and miss classes FTW!

cranberry

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3149956
im very scared of needles, but now yall make me wanna give it up,,, blood that is. HHRRMM Id really have to close my eyes and need food aferwards, i almost faint when they take vials for testing, lol.
and of course i guess it would be good to find out what blood type you are too, im 28 and have no clue.
It honestly saves lives. Our babies wouldn't live without it. The mom can't donate blood for awhile and it takes a few days to process the family's blood. They count on the kindness of strangers to help them along their fight to live. And ohhhh those little preemies fight hard, if we just endure a little prick.
Os... we especially need you. 98% of the blood we give is O.

gio28

cranberry are you a doctor, nurse, etc? i had a question...if i were to call a few days after i donate could they tell me my blood type? just in case you knew...

cranberry

Nurse. In clinics you can find out right there. I'm not sure about the mobile units.
We collect in the hospital, so I'm sure procedures are different from any of the community collection centers.

gio28

ohh, ok. they set up stations in the "mini-gym" at my school. but it probably still counts as a mobile unit since they said id have to maybe call to find out. or that they might mail something to me...

cranberry

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3151714
ohh, ok. they set up stations in the "mini-gym" at my school. but it probably still counts as a mobile unit since they said id have to maybe call to find out. or that they might mail something to me...
Ya, the mobile clinics include those actually on wheels and those that just setup at different locales. But the mobiles are deployed from a homebase... that's the place to call to find out.

pezenfuego

I gave blood today. It took a long time, but I suppose it was worth it.
There was a fat kid next to me. I remember thinking something along the lines of, "Wow, I barely meet the weight requirements, this kid isn't going to have any problems."
I was perfectly find though. This guy...not so much.
He seemed fine, sipping on some juice and suddenly fainted.
It was kinda weird...I guess it doesn't have much to do with weight after all.
I get my card with my blood type in about 2 weeks. I got out of an entire class, a free T shirt, all the food I wanted, etc. Who donated here?
Anyway, I plan on donating again in January.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3163156
did ya pump your hand? like close it to make a fist and squeeze?
Yeah, for the entire time. A lot of people complained about it and said that it made their hand tired. I honestly forgot I was doing it after about a minute.

crypt keeper

I have knocked out giving in 4 minutes. LOL. The harder and faster you squeeze you will bang it out quicker. How much do you weigh if you barely made the weight?

pezenfuego

Yeah, I was squeezing pretty fast and got done in about 6-7 minutes I think.
I weigh 115-120 somewhere in there.
I'm not anorexic, just short.

cranberry

On Monday there were no platelets in the area to be had..... we had to give the baby a shot of vitamin K instead to ensure they wouldn't bleed out and it's like a band aid instead of stitches.
Please donate platelets!!