Who has the deepest tank here?

elvictre

Hey Guys and Girls. I would like to know how deep your tanks are. The reason I ask is I am planning a DIY project of building my own tank. I kind of got the idea from Bangs fuge. Here is the plan... I want to build a wood tank with a acrylic front. The dimensions will be 10 feet long by 3 feet deep by 4 feet high. I plan to use a pond liner on the sides and back and bond acrylic to the front. I also plan to use 4 solar tubes combined with 4 to 6 400 watt MH's along with NO fluorescents for the actinic. I am concerned with the dept looking good for viewing but not being good to keep corals. Is 4 feet too deep? I plan on it being a mixed reef.
Thanks
Vic

bang guy

There is a LOT of water pressure at the bottom of a 4' high tank. How are you going to brace the 10' length?

aw2

Also, the arylic is not going to bond to the pond liner and you'd always have to worry about leaks around the acrylic.
If you're planning on a plywood tank, you're going to have to use an epoxy/fiberglass resin on the inside of the tank, to waterproof it.

dogstar

Do a google with ' diy shark tank ' goooood luck, the one with ciclids (spelling) in it....

squidd

Once you get into the engineering and expense of the larger front panel you may want to reconsider the 4' height...
Other factors are getting around inside to clean, set and work..Either long handled tools, or a wet suit...
You may find a 36" or even 30" MUCH more practical...but then you could go 4' deep (front to back)...
Lighting to depth will also be an expensive proposition at 4', 400s ain't gonna cut it even with the solar supplementation...

elvictre

Thanks for the replies guys. First I wanted to build it with 3 1" pieces of outdoor ply on each side and I planned on using the new compressed type beams around the entire tank. These beams come in sizes of up to fifty feet. So the actual viewing would not be the entire 4 feet high. I will probably compromise 6" on top and 6" on the bottom. Bonding the acrylic was something I was concerned about also. Thanks for bringing that up. I could use glass, but I was afraid that the weight would be enormous to move it around. I was planning on going with the larger size to get the most water flow I can and the depth would look great in the room. The lighting was my main concern, but now I have a lot more to think of. I know tenecor makes a tank of this size to purchase. I just figured making it would be the ultimate DIY project to be proud of.
Thanks
Vic

bang guy

NOVICE150 has a very tall Shark Tank. I seem to remember him detailing how he built it in a thread.
He used to hang out in the Aggressive forum.

elvictre

Thanks Bang, I looked his tank up. I am still debating building it or buying it. Like I said building it would be a major accomplishment, but if leaks will be a factor I am always open to buying it. Either way I want a 4 foot deep reef. My primary concern is the lighting. In the aquarium out here on Long Island (Atlantis marine world) they have a 20,000 gallon reef that is at least 15 feet deep. When I was asking one of the employees about the lighting he told me primarily natural sunlight which led me to believe solar tubes will suffice. But I always want to ask you guys just to make certain.
Vic

elvictre

I see tenecor has a 575 gal 120x36x36. Would this be a better choice for the lighting. I was trying to get the most water volume I can, but if the lighting is not sufficient what is the point. Please let me know guys. I appreciate the input.
Vic

aw2

My 200 is 31" tall, which is the max I'd ever go, IMO. It's not a reef tank solely because it's too deep and the lighting that would be required is more than I'm willing to spend.
That and the simple fact that any time I need to do maintanence, I end up having to take off my glasses and shirt because I know I'm gonna end up underwater.

reefiness

well if your going to go through tenecor i was just on that sight and if you looking for the most water volume then try the 670 gallon tank they have that is 120x48x36 the lower height will make it light up better and the 4 feet front to back will look really nice. plus its almost $1000 cheaper.

elvictre

Thanks reefiness. I know you mean the 120x48x30. I assume the 30 would be a lot easier to get around in and who is not all for saving a $1000. They are also having 10% off until the 31st. I was a little worried that I will not be able to get 4 feet front to back to look full. But im sure I can get plenty ideas on this board.
Grumpy they killed your link, but I did look it up and see it. Wow...But a ton of work. Also I have read that urchins have an appetite for the epoxy. I would hate a hitchhiker urchin start eating a hole in my tank. If I do go that route I will probably do both the epoxy and then the liner over it.
Bang did you use epoxy?
Thanks Again
Vic

hoghead

My 125 is about 26 in. high, which means that I either use a grabber or get my armpit wet. That tank has half inch glass all through it too. I personally wouldnt want one any taller.

elvictre

You guys are 100% right. I added a new canopy to my tank to accommodate the new lighting. The canopy is 18" and the tank is 21" deep and I am having a terrible time reaching in the tank. I am going with the 30" on the next one.
Happy Holidays
Vic

jer4916

i have an acrylic tank that is 3 1/2 feet deep...
i loooove it...and so do my tangs...hehe
~Chris

grumpygils

Originally Posted by elvictre
Thanks reefiness. I know you mean the 120x48x30. I assume the 30 would be a lot easier to get around in and who is not all for saving a $1000. They are also having 10% off until the 31st. I was a little worried that I will not be able to get 4 feet front to back to look full. But im sure I can get plenty ideas on this board.
Grumpy they killed your link, but I did look it up and see it. Wow...But a ton of work. Also I have read that urchins have an appetite for the epoxy. I would hate a hitchhiker urchin start eating a hole in my tank. If I do go that route I will probably do both the epoxy and then the liner over it.
Bang did you use epoxy?
Thanks Again
Vic

For you big tank people,, look at this 850g, at oregonreef dot c. This whole site is about his tank. Wowzy!
Mc