WHo has the largest or most bristleworms? Let's see!!

chipper

I have a ton of these guys in my tanks right now and I actually trapped one that was 4 inches long. I was just curious if anyone had picture of bristleworms in there tank?

bang guy

SteveWeast has a picture of the largest I've seen come out of an aquarium. I think it was something like 8 feet long.

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Steve West has a picture of the largest I've seen come out of an aquarium. I think it was something like 8 feet long.

Wasn't that a eucnid worm? (yeah I can't spell it) Or are they the same thing?

chipper

WOW!! I can't imagine a worm being 8 feet long or even 8 inches long. I thought my tank was weird because it has 4 inch bristleworms.

bang guy

Originally posted by 007
Wasn't that a eucnid worm?

Yes, it was a Eunicid. Eunicid Worms are a type of Bristleworm.

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Yes, it was a Eunicid. Eunicid Worms are a type of Bristleworm.

learn sumthin' new every day!

lovethesea

you would have to resusitate me after finding something like that in my tank. :eek: I am not a snake person either.
There was a post a few weeks ago and someone has theirs in a bottle of vodka I think. I suggested it should be in a bottle of
Tequila..:D
I am surprised you can can those things whole out of the tank.
Do they put up a fight?

bang guy

I think Steve broke off about 18" of the tail end getting it out. From what I understand it was in the PVC frame he used to hold up his live rock.

lovethesea

I would love to know the answer to that also. I'm thinkin' that something over 7 feet long should be able to kill sometthing if it wanted to. :eek:

cnlight

That has got to be the biggest worm I have ever seen. :eek: Too scary. He does have a huge tank and all, but I can't even imagine something that big in an aquarium.

bang guy

Originally posted by Chipper
I know this might be a stupid question, but can bristleworms kill fish?

There is at least one species of Bristleworm (out of more than 10,000) that is able to catch & eat fish. I don't believe Steve's worm could have. I believe his was a soft coral predator but I could be mistaken. The fish catcher would have to be very large and the fish would have to be small.

Bristleworms have been known to choke seahorses to death sometimes when the horse tries to suck them up and they're too big, but that's the only thing I know about bristles killing fish.

bigred

Here's one I pulled from my tank when I was doing a crash fix. I figure he was about 6 inches but I cut some of him off with a cup so I don't really know how long he really was. You can see the quarter in the pic for reference.