Who is this little guy?

spline9

When doing a close inspection of the pod-like critters scurrying on the glass, this little guy caught my attention.
He's super fast. Real tiny. From what I could see, he was just a reddish speck on the glass. This image has been GREATLY enlarged. Luckily, my camera handles macro photos very well.
What is it? *jeapordy theme music playing*

zap800

yes that is a very good macro. what do you have? i have a kodak 5.0 meg cammera and it seems it doesnt like the macro shot closer than about 10 inches

spline9

Thanks Bang and zap800.
My camera is a 3.3 megapixel Nikon CoolPix 995. I think its already 2 generations old. I did a lot of review scouring on several review sites before I bought a camera. Part of the reason why i got this one is because of the macro abilities as well as the number of accessories available (lenses n stuff).
I did a post about my camera (and my method on choosing a camera) here https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/126563/camera-recommendation for those who are interested.
I wanted to get an SLR camera but didnt know exactly how to use one... digital cameras are nice since you get instant results. I knew I was going to take a bazillion bad shots due to experimentation with settings so not having to develop film saved me tons of cash.
zap800, you might be able to get a macro lens for your camera (it might need an adapter). Could be worth it if you regularly find yourself wanting to take lots of macro shots.

spline9

Just to show you how much the pic was enlarged... Heres what it looked like before the cropping.
The original size was 2048x1536 so naturally it had to be resized to post.

zap800

ok thanks. i have a kodak dx45130 5.0 megapix with macro ability but it has threads on the inside of the lens so maybe ill look online for another lens. maybe a telephoto too because i seem to like to take eighther long shots or extream close-ups. thanks again

liquidskys

:notsure: so how do you tell good isopods from bad isopods?
and why are the bad ones bad!?
i have some pod looking things i actually just noticed them tonight. tried to get a pic but they are way small.. half the size of a dime and whitish..
just was wondering. what makes a bad one and why!

bang guy

Originally posted by liquidskys
:but they are way small.. half the size of a dime and whitish..

That's a really big pod. The Sand Skater pictured is probably about 2mm, at least that's the largest I've seen. That's about the size of the "BE" in LIBERTY on a Dime.
Only a few Isopods are problems. Some irritate Corals, Some suck the blood from fish. The one pictured above eats algae.

liquidskys

ok cool :D
cause the one's that i seen crawling in my tank lastnight were climbing up the back glass.. (where i allow the algea to grow a bit) and i belive they were chomping on the algea
cool cool
thanks~

liquidskys

Originally posted by Bang Guy
That's a really big pod. .

its actually not as big as half a dime.. is about ---> () that big
looks almost like a rollie pollie bug..
but all good since i belive he's a algea eater.. will have to keep a watch though!

spline9

The pod in the pic was about the size of the hole in "B" in "BE" in "LIBTERTY" on a dime. heh.
zap800: See if you can see sample images of the macro lens before you buy it. Some lenses arent nearly as good (ie: image quality) as others despite their magnification qualities. A lot of times, you get what you pay for. I spent the money and got a Nikon wide angle lens. A friend got a 3rd party one and we compared images. The Nikon blew it away.
Right now I gotta get goin to work, but if I remember, I'll try to post a link to some good comparison sites I used to visit.