Who Know's About Coral Catfish???

surfergirl

I have purchased 2 Coral Catfish from my LFS. They tell me they are very hardy, easy to keep and will do okay in my tank as part of my clean up crew. I have a Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, 23 Crabs, 2 Clown Fish, 55 gal. I have read in one of my fish books that these fish are venomous. Are these guys a danger to my tank?

thepetbarn

No they are not poisons to your tank as long as they don't die. These guys do best in schools (3 or more). The poison part comes in the form of touching them. kinda like the Lion Fish family. My suggestion: buy at least one more and call it quiets on the fish in your tank or get a bigger tank. Your tangs will not stress out as much and your overall tank health is better. good luck and have fun with your tank. Larry

jim672

SurferGirl,
I admit I'm conservative when it comes to fish-keeping but that's because I learned the hard way that too many fish in a tank is bad! I had 2 tangs in my 45 a few years ago.....they both died from ich caused by stress caused by being in a tank that was way too small for them. I believe you have the potential for the same thing to happen. Most experienced hobbyists on this board will suggest the minimum tank size for a tang is a 75. Keeping two mature tangs would require, at least, 125 gallons. You have two tangs, two clowns, and now, two coral catfish in your 55. I think you're overstocked......and no matter what else you do with your tank, I wouldn't add another catfish, or any other fish, to it.
Trying to return one of the tangs to the store where you bought them, would be a good thing to consider, unless you have near-term plans to get a larger tank.
Jim

bang guy

Coral Catfish commonly reach 12" in aquariums. At this size they have a mouth large enough to swallow a 4" fish and they are not afraid to use that mouth.
This fish is just too big to keep in a 55 gal. To make matters worse they will only survive as a school.

wamp

I have kept these fish for years. They do best in schools however, I have kept them seperatly before. They like to dig a hole under rocks and call it home. They are best kept with meaty foods. A varied diet is a must!
Once they get big, 7"or so, they can devolp a whopping sting. It hurts.
I kept one in a 55 for several years. He died due to a rock tumbling ontop of him. They are full of personaltiy and readily eat from your hand. One of my favorite fish.
As stated, they seem to like shooling but can be kept apart if provided the right diet and care.
I would not like to keep a larger one in that small of a tank again, but, if you plan to upgrade, I see no reason not to raise him in that.

rockster

The "sting" comes from a sharp "spike" on each pectoral fins. They willfully extend their pectoral fins in defense delivering a nasty wound on the attacker. The wound inflicted by these appendage is not generally lethal to humans unless secondarily infected and left unchecked. They do not deliberately inflict harm on other tankmates using their fins. They are generally peaceful when left alone, foraging on the substrate for most of the day.

drew_tt

wamp, I only have one left (his 3 school-buddies slowly died off) who is around 3"... did you get stung? how would you rate it (ie like a bristleworm?)...I ask because my one left is sooo friendly he loves coming up to my hand, but it worries me him being so close ;)
here is some more good info, surfer girl:
Plotosus lineatus
Drew :)