Who runs halides without a chiller?

briand7878

I have a 220 with 2 250 watt halides. I am struggling to even keep the water temp up to 72 degrees. I have a hood thats only open in the back so im sure it lets the heat out there.

jackri

Temp may depend a lot on where you live. If you live down south the summertime might make it hard to cool. I live in North Dakota and my tank is in the basement. The house is set to 72 in the winter and 74 in the summer (yes I keep it more comfortable than most but I house parrots, my reef and my family) and the basement is always just a smidge cooler so I don't have an 80 degree house ever which can make a huge difference.
Your location and temp of your house would factor into it as well.

matt b

I have 970w of MH and VHO on my 180 and it stays at 79 all day every day. I have three fans in the canopy. One icecap blowing air in, One icecap blowing out, One 6in fan just blowing across the canopy. Chillers are such a waste. A chiller takes electricity, Is loud, Creats heat. It takes so much electricity you could turn your AC down one, And run five fans. Fans are still quiter then a chiller. And not to mention they creat extra heat, Quite a bit to. Just keep you lights high enough and use fans.

aquaknight

570watt of MH and VHO over my 125gal. No chiller and no extra fans, just the 2, 4" ones built into my fixture. Temp never goes north of 80°F. 90% of it has to down with the temp. of the house. In summer, we never let ours get over 75°, so they tank really never gets too hot. If your house gets over 80°, there's not exactly a lot you can do without a chiller for your tank.

meowzer

Yeah it gets a little hot in Oklahoma in the summer...LOL...I am going to try fans, and be prepared for possibly buying a chiller....Just so happens the temp in the room the tanks are in runs hot to begin with...I have central air, but I am almost considering getting a small portable a/c for that room....It would be cheaper than a chiller...

lion_crazz

I run my 40 gallon breeder with a 150 watt metal halide, PCs and I get no heat. In the summer, I have no issue keeping my tank at 76 degrees.

spiderwoman

I run a 75g with 2x150W MH+actinics fixture and no chiller. I'm hoping to be able to run a 29g frag tank with a MH fixture without one. Not so lucky with the 150g reef though... 3 x 400W + actinics = 1/3 hp chiller.