Who uses UV sterilizers?

mjm889

i do, and imo it helps with controlling algae and parasites, havent had a problem with either since i had one running, its not a cure but it helps.

noah's nemo

Originally Posted by mjm889
http:///forum/post/3244896
i do, and imo it helps with controlling
algae and parasites
, havent had a problem with either since i had one running, its not a cure but it helps.
Not trying to be a jerk or anything,but QTing and treatment is the best way to do this IMO

aquaknight

Main issue is cost, due to size. Most people grossly underestimate the size of UV they need. IMO, something like a 125gal, needs at a minimum, a 30+ watt UV unit. Then, based on the hours used, the bulbs need replaced about every 9 months. Especially considering most are running 24/7.
That said, I used one on my 125gal. From sheer math, you can decipher that it can't help with parasites. I did have a hair algae outbreak, the UV didn't help with. I, however, always seemed to have crystal clear water, that I think I can say the UV helped with.

jayfan

I do have one on my 100g. I think it does help......to what point is a personal decision. I noticed a HUGE change with with clarity and less algea with the combination of a UV light AND RO/DI system. Well worth it! IMO.

R

rcreations

I have one on my 150g. Does it do any good? Hard to say but I like to think it does.

ibanez

How much good they do depends on the flow rate through them. I have used them on fresh water with success. I would hesitate to use on on salt water because I think there are many more beneficial organizms that float around from time to time. However, if I ever had an ick outbreak slip past QT I would hook one up for a short period of time.

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3244905
Not trying to be a jerk or anything,but QTing and treatment is the best way to do this IMO

Okay, not being a jerk or anything, but if you QT your new fish, your saying that there is no chance of getting Ich in your DT? NOT. So QT'ing may help in the beginning but will QT'ing your fish help 6, 8, 12 months down the road. I don't think so. So if your going to answer a post, please make sure you address the question. Thanks you

florida joe

I will address your statement above If there is not ick present in your DT and you QT everything that can introduce ick into your tank and or threat for disease appropriately if it manifests itself in your QT then ick can not be in your DT
But I am open to debate the subject

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3245363
I will address your statement above If there is not ick present in your DT and you QT everything that can introduce ick into your tank and or threat for disease appropriately if it manifests itself in your QT then ick can not be in your DT
But I am open to debate the subject
Joe is absolutely right. Ich is not airborne, it has a fixed life-cycle and cannot live, lurking in the shadows, waiting for just the right moment. IF a DT has no ich and everything added (even corals, etc) is QT'd---there will NEVER be ich in the DT. Break the life-cycle and you'll never see it.
As to UV. UV cannot cure or prevent ich or other parasites.It will help some with algae, which is why pondkeepers love it. In order for it to work: flow rate has to be precise and the bulbs maintained. Although they may have some minor value; I think a lot of hobbiests get a false sense of security from UV---I've even heard of QT being skipped because the DT had UV. A disaster waiting to happen.

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3245371
Joe is absolutely right. Ich is not airborne, it has a fixed life-cycle and cannot live, lurking in the shadows, waiting for just the right moment. IF a DT has no ich and everything added (even corals, etc) is QT'd---there will NEVER be ich in the DT. Break the life-cycle and you'll never see it.
As to UV. UV cannot cure or prevent ich or other parasites.It will help some with algae, which is why pondkeepers love it. In order for it to work: flow rate has to be precise and the bulbs maintained. Although they may have some minor value; I think a lot of hobbiests get a false sense of security from UV---I've even heard of QT being skipped because the DT had UV. A disaster waiting to happen.
I have read and heard that your DT can get ich no matter what do to changes in water temperature and stress on the fish. These are things that a QT can't take care of. I am not saying QT aren't essential but it is possible to get ich in your DT after the fish come out of QT. Right?

meowzer

Originally Posted by scottnlisa
http:///forum/post/3245402
I have read and heard that your DT can get ich no matter what do to changes in water temperature and stress on the fish. These are things that a QT can't take care of. I am not saying QT aren't essential but it is possible to get ich in your DT after the fish come out of QT. Right?
NO....Your DT can not get ich, unless you put something in there that has ich......

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3245402
Not if you catch the ich and cure it in your QT. Stress can only be an factor in a fish getting the ich parasite if the parasite is present. Often, a form of ich can be unnoticed because healthy nfish are fighting it off. Sooner or later, if its in the DT, fish will get it (IMO & IME). If there is no ich in the DT they cannot get it. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A FISH TO BECOME INFESTED WITH ICH IF IT ISN'T THERE. I can't get HIV unless I'm exposed to it; same principle. BTW, I always use copper in QT as an extra precaution. (as do most wholesalers, shippers, collectors, online dealers and many lfs). Some folks use hypo instead. If what you are reading and hearing were true; where does the ich parasite come from?

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3245432
Not if you catch the ich and cure it in your QT. Stress can only be an factor in a fish getting the ich parasite if the parasite is present. Often, a form of ich can be unnoticed because healthy nfish are fighting it off. Sooner or later, if its in the DT, fish will get it (IMO & IME). If there is no ich in the DT they cannot get it. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A FISH TO BECOME INFESTED WITH ICH IF IT ISN'T THERE. I can't get HIV unless I'm exposed to it; same principle. BTW, I always use copper in QT as an extra precaution. (as do most wholesalers, shippers, collectors, online dealers and many lfs). Some folks use hypo instead. If what you are reading and hearing were true; where does the ich parasite come from?
True you can't get HIV without being exposed ot it. But you can get psoriasis, tachycardia, myocardial infarctions, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, parkinson disease,aplastic anemia, cardiomyopathy, crohn's disease, cushing's syndrome, etc.....
And I just read that a DT tank can have ick in it and you not know. The fish in the tank have grown use to the water conditions, temp, etc and it doesn't stress them out which makes them more prone to ich. New fish is a different story since there are major differences between where they came from and your tank. Yes, I agree ich is like a germ to humans. But just because we are not sick doesn't mean germs don't exist. When our immune systems break down and come compromised, that is when we get sick. Just like fish.

meowzer

BUT....Ich can not live w/o a host.....sooooo when you cycle your tank in the beginning your tank is w/o fish...so w/o a host for ich... after 2 months and you are ready tostart adding life to your tank, there should not be any ich (if ever there was)
if you qt your fish long enough, there is no way to introduce ich into your dt
that is what he is trying to say

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3245498
BUT....Ich can not live w/o a host.....sooooo when you cycle your tank in the beginning your tank is w/o fish...so w/o a host for ich... after 2 months and you are ready tostart adding life to your tank, there should not be any ich (if ever there was)
if you qt your fish long enough, there is no way to introduce ich into your dt
that is what he is trying to say

I see. Thanks meowzer. But this all started because of somebody replying to my post requarding something else besides UV sterilizers. I hate whem people do that. That is like asking "What kind of car do you drive?" and replying back "I have a Huffy 20 speed bicycle." Stupid response to a question.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3245517
I see. Thanks meowzer. But this all started because of somebody replying to my post requarding something else besides UV sterilizers. I hate whem people do that. That is like asking "What kind of car do you drive?" and replying back "I have a Huffy 20 speed bicycle." Stupid response to a question.
That kinda happens a lot here.....I have been guilty of straying off a subject here and there