Why age saltwater?

louti

Well, I'm not a new hobbyist, but i figured this would be a good spot for this discussion. I have seen many people on this site talking about aging saltwater at least 24-48 hours. I would like to know why. I know that caustic agents are released and reactions occur when the salt is mixed. But I have always found the mix to completely dissolve in an hour or two. Is there a scientific reason for letting it sit for a day or longer? Thank you for your input.

A

abeandlulu

I dont know if it is the right way to do it but, I have a 300 gallon fresh water vat in the garage some water goes to the vat and some goes to my 265 reef for auto top offs. and a 65 gallon salt water vat in a closet in the house. I mix salt water about once a week for water changes on my tanks and my cousins tank. So my salt water sits for a couple days. I also like to have some extra in case of an emergency. I have maxi jets keepng it well circulated. Is this wrong? does any body know?

nycbob

most people do it so the salt is totally dissolved. i mix my water 2 hours b4 hand, and havent had any issue.

louti

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I have never had an issue either. I'm kinda just wondering if there's a real reason or if it just gets repeated over and over.

bang guy

Reactions continue to take place long after the salt dissolves. Especially anything pertaining to CO2 consumption such as Alkalinity additives in the salt. 2 hours is marginal but doable, 24 hours is ideal IMO. The salt shoud dissolve completely in less than a minute if you're mixing it correctly.

truperc

Here are the reasons I have heard:
- The obvious to disolve all of the salt
- Freshly prepared saltwater is caustic and capable of burning and corroding
- To balance oxygen/CO2 levels within the water

louti

Thanks BangGuy,
I value your input because I have read many of your posts and I know you know what you are talking about. I'm glad I know the reason behind it now.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by louti
http:///forum/post/3133426
Well, I'm not a new hobbyist, but i figured this would be a good spot for this discussion. I have seen many people on this site talking about aging saltwater at least 24-48 hours. I would like to know why. I know that caustic agents are released and reactions occur when the salt is mixed. But I have always found the mix to completely dissolve in an hour or two. Is there a scientific reason for letting it sit for a day or longer? Thank you for your input.
Just because the salt looks mixed its not. There are still chemical reactions and gas exchange going on.