Why all this algea

fatcats

Ive been at this for a while and i still have algea in my tank. IT has a skimmer and a mechanical filtration. But i cant get rid of this brown algae taht just sits on the rocks. Ive been doing 5gal changes with Ro/di water for about a month and a half now and it goes away for a day or two but after that is right back .It looks terriable
i have nice lights and all but everytime i turn on the MH there is a bloom. I dont have many snails or hermits, problem?
Thanks for the help
ps i really want to get corals and all but i dont want them to die

mr.clownfish

hermits and snails can help but not a lot. what kind of lights do u have? how old is ur tank? what are ur water parameters?

fatcats

4x54 t5 with 2 150w mh 10-12hr/day
all my parameters are close to or at zero
ph around 8.1
temp 78f

mr.clownfish

wow u have some real good lighting there.
i think 10-12 hours is a little too much i leave mine on for 7 hours and my lfs says that's a little much, i don't know how long to keep them on exactly, but 10-12 is a bit too much.
i have pc and i get a load of algae

I run my vho's for 10 hrs but only run my halides for 4hrs. If you are running your halides 10-12hrs then I think that is a little long, IMO. I don't know what corals you may or may not have but cutting back on some lighting hours will help your bloom if that is what is causing it.

bang guy

Tell me about your feeding habits and then explain the progression of your cycle in excruciating detail.

fatcats

2 chromis
1 yellow tang
1 clown fish
( i know my tank isnt over stocked)
twice a day feedings with dried seaweed once every 2 days