Why are my Mexicans dying?

cgr

I have different varieties of snails and other invertebrates in my tank. They seem to do o.k. but my Mexican turbo snails die within a week. When I first put them in the tank, they devoured lots of algea but in a few days I only found empty shells or dead snails.
120 gal
1 Hippo
1 Yello Tang
1 Sailfin
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
PH 8.2, Amonia 0., Nitrites and Nitrates 0.

imo

If you have shrimp or large hermits, perhaps they like the taste of your mexican snails. Just a thought though.

dpittman

IMO they suck. They come from a region of cooler water than we normally have in our tanks - I don't keep them anymore. Dr. Ron Schimeck also advises to not keep them. There alot of other tank cleaners that are much more effective.

php

yea, how do you acclimate your fish and what kind of fish and/or invert are in your tank and what is your salinity?

bbreaux1

i stopped getting the mexican turbos they do a good job but usually dont last longer than a few weeks or months ive had some good luck with the margarita snails there not as big but they sure do move fast and have lasted alot longer i have found

mrangel

I bought 2 turbo snails and one died within a two weeks. I still have another one and he's doing ok. I was also concerned as to why he died.
Someone told me that turbo snails live for a long time.
Marguerite