Why can I not find a 30 inch T5 lighting fixture?

goonter

I looked at that one and the 24 inch has 4 24 watt lights... so I would rather go with the 24 inch if I can.

trippkid

Sorry, I guess I should checked on that before I opened my fat mouth(fingers). So, either a retro-fit kit(24" kit), you could stagger the bulbs to cover the tank, I don't know if the 30" units do this or not, or a 30" unit with 24" bulbs. Lunars could be added later if you go with a retro. Again, sorry for previous post.

Matt

coraljunky

You can always go metal halide to cover all basis, unless there is a budget in mind. Coralife makes a 2x65w 30".

coraljunky

No chiller needed. A friend of mine runs a 150w hqi retro over his 29g, absolutely no heat issues. Do you plan on a canopy?

reefraff

Premium Aquatics sells Helios HO T5 lamps and fixtures that are 30". Only downside is they only have the single lamp fixtures. You could probably get 3 of them over that tank.

juice_1080

They do make 30" T5's....I have one the bulbs on them are about 27". The only problem is that they are 2x18w T5 NO lights so they don't really have enough lighting for any corals really (Lucky I have another light on my tank) If you want strong enough lighting for your tank you are probably going to have to either go with a couple of those, a 24" setup, or a 36" setup. I don't know why they don't make better light sets for 29g tanks....its not like they are an uncommon size....To me a 24 or 36" tank is more uncommon

bessycerka

I recently read somewhere that T5 light output X2.6 is equal to PC lighting. That means that 1 watt of T5 is actually equal to 2.6 watts of PC lighting due to the T5's higher intensity and quality of light.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by bessycerka
I recently read somewhere that T5 light output X2.6 is equal to PC lighting. That means that 1 watt of T5 is actually equal to 2.6 watts of PC lighting due to the T5's higher intensity and quality of light.
HMMMM> While this MAY be true, it's still a generailzation. There are several factors that are involved in getting the maximum out of these luminaires. I would be interested in knowing who stated this, what criteria is involved, and how exactly they determined that. Or if thats just a guestimation.......So stating that
"1 watt of T5 is actually equal to 2.6 watts of PC lighting"
is really a vague statement. If this was the case though, that would mean that I have what is equal to 811 watts of PC lights on my 65.
It would take 15, 54 watts PC bulbs to equall my 8, 39 watt jobbers...... I dont believe that 2.6 x is actually correct.... But it MAY
be.