Why change water if params are good?

dschwartz

I was scheduled to do my weekly 10-15% water change today and checked my parameters but everything was right where it should be.
Should I bother changing water to remove solids, etc and restore other essentials or just let it go since all is measuring fine?

Thanks,
David.

deejeff442

because if by the time you get readings in yourtests it is harmfull for the fish.
ammonia spikes can rise pretty fast and are very toxic to the fish.
you can get away from water changes from time to time but in the long run
water changes will keep the balance of the water.
by the time yo get bad readings small water changes wont take care of the problem fast eneough.
i did a 40 gallon change yesterday and right when i was done turned on the ro for the next one.
it will save you from some serious headaches keeping good maintanance.

flower

Originally Posted by dschwartz
http:///forum/post/3040936
I was scheduled to do my weekly 10-15% water change today and checked my parameters but everything was right where it should be.
Should I bother changing water to remove solids, etc and restore other essentials or just let it go since all is measuring fine?

Thanks,
David.
I say no, you can go to a monthly water change maintiance. I only do a weekly if there is algae problems.

dschwartz

Thanks everyone - i had gone and change the water as I planned later in the day (before I read the replies).
Flower, I understand your reasoning for going to monthly changes if all is well - but I think err on the side of caution just to be safe.
Thanks everyone!

jackri

I've gone 6 months without a water change before without problems -- gone with the military and wife kept it topped off and skimmer drained... but no real issues and nothing died.
I do a water change every week or two of 5 gallons on my 90 set up -- so I probably don't do it as much as most but everything is thriving and works for me.

don trinko

IMO; How much and how ofter you change water depends on the bioload,filtering, anarobic bacteria,feeding etc.
I do 35% once a month but I have only small fish in a 75g. My fish are healthy so I can justify this routine. If all of a sudden you start to have sick fish (IMO) More/larger WC would be apropriate. Don T.
P.S. Consider closing all your windows and not flushing the toilet, How long would you want to go without a WC?

t316

Originally Posted by Don Trinko
http:///forum/post/3041542
P.S. Consider closing all your windows and not flushing the toilet, How long would you want to go without a WC?
My wife blows me out for leaving pee in the toilet even one time

meowzer

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3041505
I've gone 6 months without a water change before without problems -- gone with the military and wife kept it topped off and skimmer drained... but no real issues and nothing died.
I do a water change every week or two of 5 gallons on my 90 set up -- so I probably don't do it as much as most but everything is thriving and works for me.
Just out of curiosity...was anything dosed during that 6 months?

soulsigma

Originally Posted by dschwartz
http:///forum/post/3040936

Thanks,
David.
Dave:
Frequent water changes will not only help to replenish the buffering agents that are routinely used up for shell and skeleton production by certain invertebrates, but they will also keep the dissolved nutrient level in the aquarium low, thereby minimizing the proliferation of unwanted algae and discouraging the production of Ph-lowering carbon dioxide at night.

stdreb27

You need to for a couple reasons. Your salt replaces trace minerals which are needed. Plus they are still swimming in their own wastes.

florida joe

Water changes are like changing your underwear. You never know when you will run into a problem so best to stay as clean as you can

unleashed

water changes are not just meant to keep your basic perimeters in check..as time goes by nutrients in the water become depleted .nutrients we don't normally test for nor do normal dosing for..
keeping up maintenance water changes keep these beneficial nutrients to peek levels for better all around tank health.

bullitr

i don't change my water often maybe 3 times a year no algae bloom but i need to dose some iodine, calcium,alk, and magnesium on my tap off .

bmkj02

Ive learned over time that the smaller the tank the more water changes are required. I have a 24g with water changes every month, a 55g changes every 3-4 months and a 125g every 6 months. No problems. Anything longer than that it starts effecting the oxygen levels