Why did my Clown jump???

woody189

Hi. I have a 46 gal tank w/ the following
2 Clowns (1 left, 1 jumped)
1 purple firefish
1 royal gramma
1 midas blenny (recently added)
1 SLF crab
My clowns were the first fish I got in my tank (1yr ago). They both appeared to be healthy and happy. Today I came home from school and found the male on my floor, and I'm trying to figure out why.
My levels seem normal, and I have an eggcrate top, but there are gaps where I have pipes and stuff. Definetly possilbe to jump, but the holes are pretty small so I wouldn't have ever suspected it.
My RG isn't really aggressive, but he can be a bit of a bully. But i've never once witnessed him try to pick on either clown. Only other fish. He just opens his mouth at them.
My SLF doesnt seem to bother anything either, except my shrimp when he gets too close. I doubt he stressed my fish out enough to make him jump. I added him about 1 month ago, so he's still pretty new so it's hard to judge. i fed him 1/4 of a silverside about 2-3 days ago, and he's always eating off my LR.
My midas is the larges fish in my tnak, but he's actually pretty peaceful too.
My female clown does "pick" on the smaller, but I think it was usual behavior for male/female clowns.
What do you think the cause was??
I think the reason may have been the lights. About 2-3 weeks ago I upgraded my single flourecent tube to 2 X 150 W MH's. They have 18 lunar lights which are on at night, but then at 930am, the bright MH's come on. Do you think the lights spooked him enough to make him jump??
I appreciate you taking the time to read this.
PS...I know I have to take care of the top, because the blenny and firefish are fans of carpet surfing.

t316

"water is always wetter on the Other Side"

You probably will never know why. It just happens, some fish are known jumpers, but I have read about many different species taking the leap of faith. Sorry dude...

naclh2o nut

I hate to hear it.
I haven't even seen mine up at the top unless I am feeding. I have been reading alot of jumpers lately, starting to worry.

mopar9012

after 2 and a half years, I guess my clown got sick of me starring at him and decided to jump....
this wasnt the first time, he had jumped out before when I was doing things with the tank so I always put him back in.
I guess one night he jumped out and I found his dead body on the floor, bone dry.

woody189

I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought. I just figured if anyone jumped it would be the firefish, or maybe the blenny.
It just sucks cause it was my 1st fish.
Oh well. I noticed he was missing, and you can ALWAYS find clowns since they never hide in the rocks. I checked overflow and couldn't find him. I thought maybe my levels were bad or it was something I did and he died.
I later found him behind the tank. He wasn't too shriveled so I think it happend earlier today.
I guess I should be glad it wasn't my levels though.
anyway, thanks

woody189

actually, would I be able to add more clowns?
My current clown an orange/white percula. I would like to add 2 more clowns: one orange (maybe

[hr]
clown), and one black and white.
Would I be able to to this, or do all clowns have to be introduced at the same time?

lauremf2002

You can add one more of the same species you have that is either larger or smaller than your current clown and they will probably bond. I have been told not to mix clowns of different types, but I know some people do it with success. I dont have enough experience to speak about this though

woody189

Originally Posted by lauremf2002
http:///forum/post/2978937
You can add one more of the same species you have that is either larger or smaller than your current clown and they will probably bond. I have been told not to mix clowns of different types, but I know some people do it with success. I dont have enough experience to speak about this though
I was under the same impression about mixing clowns. But I was told that since they are both Perculas, it's safe. You can't mix two types (perculas and tomatos), but I THINK it's okay to mix colors.

pete159

my faverate and first fish lexi the long nose hawkfish decided one day to vanish. I found her 2 days later behind the tank. It seems she jumped out of the only non covered part of the tank, a small opening where the protein skimmer hangs.

My sixline wrasse jumped one day. Luckily it did it right in front of me and I was able to scoop it up and put it back in right away.

culp

one male clownfish keep jumping out of the tank when the female was bully him. and i kept putting him back into the tank and put egg crate over the tank. than and day i came home from work and my bothers 2 year old son was running around with one of the egg crate covers and i found the male clownfish on the floor died.

meowzer

Funny how these fish can find that ONE open spot....Well not funny when it's a $50 fish
My Flasher Wrasse jumped...

Not the same, but I had to scoop a chromis out of my overflow today. Poor guy was struggling to keep up with the flow. I put my hand in to grab him and he willingly swam up into my hand. They sleep in the corners so he was probably in there all night.

sly

Not sure why some fish jump... I guess they are just being fish. I lost my mandarin goby about a month ago. I had him for over 2 years. I raised the lid to feed them one day and found him dried up, on top of the egg crate cover. I don't even know how he fit through the squares...