why did this site slow down so much?

grubsnaek

honestly from my point of view, ever since they added more sections to browse in. this site has slowed greatly with information. i would see new threads go up on the forum. and the thread take off with info and comments. but now with the added sections, this site is greatly different. now a thread can go up and not many hits or replies on it at all. i have nothing against this site. i learned 95% of my knowledge from here. and still a loyal member. BUTTTTTTTTTT im just wondering why the drastic change????!????

cranberry

It's not this site. It's everywhere and every forum. I participate on many and they are all the same. They always take a nose dive every year when the kids go back to school. But this year is particularly bad because a lot of people are getting out because of the economy.

pezenfuego

With all due respect Cranberry, I don't think it has to do with people going back to school. School is a quarter over for me and the forum isn't any more active now than it was when school started.

cranberry

The economy is number one. But again, whatever the reason, it's the same on every forum.
Oh, it's not just when you guys go back... but also parents go missing when you guys go back. It's a phenomenon that has happened every year since I've been participating on these boards.

T

tizzo

For me it's summer. When summer is upon us, I'm out and about, not in at my 'puter.
As it gets colder, me and my international coffee (or merlot, depending on the day) will be curled up on my mac.

flower

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/3149163
For me it's summer. When summer is upon us, I'm out and about, not in at my 'puter.
As it gets colder, me and my international coffee (or merlot, depending on the day) will be curled up on my mac.

+1 ...This is why I thought the people were MIA...people getting out of the hobby as well, but then I see so many folks saying they just started, so it balances out on that thought.
Pez slowed down because he started playing with his pretty colored block...
JK

cranberry

Pretty much it dives during the summer, takes a bigger dip when school goes back in. Then it picks up a bit, dives around each holiday a little. But at Christmas there's a lot of tank presents so people stay with it a bit. Throughout the winter peeps tend to be more active online.
People come to the sites more around times of IMAC and MACNAs and now other choice conferences, discussing their plans and then reminiscing about there trip.
Yes, people are coming into the hobby still. But there is more getting out than ever were. The sites that look busier right now are those that allow classified sections... this is because a majority of there threads are "Bye Bye! I'm selling my stuff!" threads. I've actually elected to say away from some until the classifieds slow down because I hate waiting through it.

grubsnaek

this is what im talking about, interaction.....thanx for the replies. all aspects make sense. but economy is worthy of the most

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3149173

+1 ...This is why I thought the people were MIA...people getting out of the hobby as well, but then I see so many folks saying they just started, so it balances out on that thought.
Pez slowed down because he started playing with his pretty colored block...
JK
Yeah, that and my complete lack of income...but I suppose rather than get a job, I should get my Eagle project started and finished.
Cubing is oh so much cheaper and I needed a cheap hobby. However I LOVE this hobby a lot more.
There is more than one factor, but I think Cranberry nailed it.

sepulatian

A lot of it has had to do with the economy. So many members have posted that they had to get out of the hobby. Let's not kid ourselves, this is expensive, so it would be the first to go.
I am glad that you checked back in!!

stdreb27

I've stopped posting as much as I did. Because of work picking up. I used to have some down time, now we are so busy, that I never get to get on at work. And when I get home, there is no way I'm going to look at a computer all evening...

yearofthenick

I don't post much anymore because I usually get chastised whenever I say something out of line. I'm probably going to get a little gum-flapping just for saying that. Too many regulators who say whatever they want just because they can... some kind of masochistic satisfaction they get whenever they pwn someone through the internet. It's just sad. We're all people here. Just because I can't jump through the computer and ring your neck doesn't mean you can throw me under the bus for every stupid thing.
I'm still in the hobby, but it has taken a back seat because I have to jobs, a family, and school work to juggle.

yearofthenick

Let me just clarify though, that I'm not upset with the mods. From what I've seen, they do a good job of mopping up the mess most trouble makers make.

aquaknight

Can't believe I'm the one going to start this, but watched Colbert Report tonight and most of the show was on Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Obama pushing now for longer school. Arne was actually his guest.
I don't want to post an article from a bias source, so you pick

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...mmer-vacation/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33054056/
My opinion is why? To me, it's like the gun laws we currently have. If we can't enforce what we have now, what good is more laws going to do? If kids in the US are already going to school more then the other countries, that out rank us, what good is having more the same bad/broken school system going to do?
Article with Asian school hours, vs. US.
http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...can_obama.html
So they typically have more school days, but less hours in a day, and less total hours. I can remember waking up at 6am every damn school to get ready in time. You think any of the classes before lunch I cared about? If I could get up at 10, instead of 6, and have 20 more days of school, I'd be all over that. Not to mention have a more productive day overall.
So I really have no idea how keep kids till say 5pm is going to do anything. There are some goods ideas in the plan, like morphing the schools more into community centers, available later hours, on weekends etc.