why do u have a sw aquarium?

i love fish

I was just wondering if any of u would like 2 share with me why u have a sw aquarium and what u luv about it the most and if u have any funny fish stories.
I luv my sw aquarium coz its like having a 24 hr cartoon channel, and all the cartoon characters are real, they r so funny and entertaining.
wat about u guys?

J

jessed244

I am fairly new to sw tanks, I have had a 20 gal up since january, had one before that and it crashed (i have learned from that) I am now working on a 56 gal, just starting it. I love the saltwater, there is so much to look at and watch. It is also cool that we can recreate the ocean in our homes.
Thats why I Like it.

ccampbell57

I have my fish because it relaxes me. Each one has it's own characteristics and they are all my "children". I enjoy watching them grow and can't wait to get home to them everyday to watch them in a "natural" environment.
I find myself stuck to my tank more than to my TV and my wife and kids get a lot of enjoyment out of them as well.
Everyone that has a SW tank is addicted in one way or another. When I first started, it was a personal challenge that I wanted to overcome. People always told me that saltwater was too hard and that it was impossible to keep fish long term.
Well over 4 years later with most of the same fish, I can tell you that SW is not difficult (challenging at times) and it is very rewarding. It is harder than other hobbies in the fact that you do get attached to your fish. For instance, I had a large porcupine puffer that I loved dearly that just up and passed away after 3 healthy years. It was heart breaking. I actually still have him in my second freezer in a zip lock so I can say "hi" to him every once in a while.
I find myselft doing the same laps at my LFS' every week to ease my tension from work or "real" life.

blaze98

I have a saltwater aquarium because I wasn't born a fish

If I would spend all day in the ocean I could

A

alexmir

I do it because i love seeing the coral and fish grow. Its so neat to see new polyps come up, or see the fish getting bigger. Also, its the perfect hobby for me, I get to buy lots of little stuff to improve my tank, theres thousands of different kinds of things to have, it satisfies my buying habit!!

topfins-mj

I always liked aquariums, but once I saw my brothers fresh water tank I wanted to challange myself and create a more a better tank with the salt aquarium. After two years into the hobby I have found it to be the most interesting and rewarding activity that I've ever done.
I also like the fact that I get to play "GOD" with my children.

aquaknight

Yep, to be honest, I think everyone is gulity of that, there's certainly a bit of "god complex" that plays in. We build our little world just the way 'we want' (most of the time at least).
My Dad has had tanks since I was a tiny tike, so when I moved out of the campus apartment and into a house, first thing we did was setup a 29gal. Been wanted a tank of my own forever and now I have 4.

chilwil84

cause i wanted to rocket myself into the poor house with a glass box that i have more money invested in than my truck that lets me earn my money.

I tried fresh water before kids and killed everything.
Gave up. One day I decided to try freshwater again(kids now 11, 10, and 5). I bought a 55 g and learned the trade of freshwater. Bought a 40g on craigslist with stand for 50 bucks and put the 3 rather large gold fish in there. Would love to sell those guys and do another saltwater tank but haven't been able to convince my daughter. From summer to thanksgiving, I bought a 125g, and went salt.
It is our family hobby.
It keeps us connected and we have learned a lot about fish and ecosystems. We love the hobby. We often sit in our aquarium room formally the playroom and watch the fish. We get on-line and research with the laptop as we enjoy them. My husband never was on board to the hobby and often joked about getting out his fishing pole.
But recently we discussed building a new house with a built in tank. How cool would that be! He has no idea the cost but what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

steelgluer

I was 9 years old I woke up one xmas morning to find my goldfish bowl gone and a 10 gallon in its place. Still to this day I dont know how my Dad did it with out waking me up but he did. Im 41 now and not a day has gone by that I have not had an aquarium. I guess I do it for him, I lost him 5 years ago to cancer I still have his 55 setup at my Moms and I take care of it there, My son just turned 2 and he helps me all the time with my tanks he mixes the salt puts the water in the top off looks through the refractor and says OK
etc etc. So one Xmas when he is a little older he will wake up to the same thing.
P.S. Thanks Dad

groupergenius

Originally Posted by SteelGluer
http:///forum/post/2551234
I was 9 years old I woke up one xmas morning to find my goldfish bowl gone and a 10 gallon in its place. Still to this day I dont know how my Dad did it with out waking me up but he did. Im 41 now and not a day has gone by that I have not had an aquarium. I guess I do it for him, I lost him 5 years ago to cancer I still have his 55 setup at my Moms and I take care of it there, My son just turned 2 and he helps me all the time with my tanks he mixes the salt puts the water in the top off looks through the refractor and says OK
etc etc. So one Xmas when he is a little older he will wake up to the same thing.
P.S. Thanks Dad
Awsome story.

michaeltx

cause I live to far from the ocean and dont have the money to go on vacation to see the ocean so I make one in my living room .
Mike

D

daniandfella

Having a reef aquarium is like having an underwater garden that you tend to a watch grow, there is always something new and exciting to look at, no matter how much you gaze at your aquariun you can always find new growth on the rocks and around the tank, I also have fresh water and feel like I am always looking at the same scenery with the fish in different places.....

ilovesam08

It is so relaxing to just sit and watch! Its the most amazing feeling in the world. and you are right, It is like a having your own little cartoon series in your home. I wouldnt trade it for anything. I am new at this ( but so far so good )
Chrystal

krazykarel

I, like many, started with freshwater (long story about cichlid wars during college) then as my tastes matured I saw one of these at the store and it solely convinced me to go salt. Ironically, I have yet to own one!