why do u have a sw aquarium?

leftyblite

I underwent chemotherapy a few years ago for cancer. My treatments consisted of 8 hours a day for one week during a month for 12 months. Even though I was heavily drugged at the time, I tended to get agitated and restless during the sessions. The nurses and my wife noticed that everytime they sat me in the chair next to the SW tank in the office, I was very relaxed and peaceful. The nurses said that as soon as I sat down, my eyes would lock in on the tank and stay there all day. Even though I don't remeber much, when I was finished with the chemo, I just had to get a tank. Now if i get stressed about something, I just stop and watch my tank. Before I realize it I'm relaxed again. My 6 year old is now helping me maintain the tank and she loves learning about the system and new kinds of fish.

florida joe

Originally Posted by leftyblite
http:///forum/post/2564810
I underwent chemotherapy a few years ago for cancer. My treatments consisted of 8 hours a day for one week during a month for 12 months. Even though I was heavily drugged at the time, I tended to get agitated and restless during the sessions. The nurses and my wife noticed that everytime they sat me in the chair next to the SW tank in the office, I was very relaxed and peaceful. The nurses said that as soon as I sat down, my eyes would lock in on the tank and stay there all day. Even though I don't remeber much, when I was finished with the chemo, I just had to get a tank. Now if i get stressed about something, I just stop and watch my tank. Before I realize it I'm relaxed again. My 6 year old is now helping me maintain the tank and she loves learning about the system and new kinds of fish.

God bless you

stdreb27

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2548482
For instance, I had a large porcupine puffer that I loved dearly that just up and passed away after 3 healthy years. It was heart breaking. I actually still have him in my second freezer in a zip lock so I can say "hi" to him every once in a while.
That is funny I did the same thing with my last girlfriend.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2551327
cause I live to far from the ocean and dont have the money to go on vacation to see the ocean so I make one in my living room .
Mike
You can't afford a vacation because your in this hobby.

Just think of what nice vacation you could of had with all the money you have spent on this.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2564877
You can't afford a vacation because your in this hobby.

Just think of what nice vacation you could of had with all the money you have spent on this.

Why would you want to go on a vacation with this hobby, unless it was of course to visit another aquarium

On a more serious note, I've always thought fish were beautiful. And tasty. So from bait tanks to catch the fish to saltwater my aquariums have evolved.

K

kikithemermaid

My boyfriend and I are marine biology majors. Well, he already graduated. But there you go.
Plus our apartment is very old and rather drab and it makes things more colorful IMO.

macchicks

I dont officially have a SW tank yet. 125 empty sitting in my living room.
But we run FW. we went from a 5 for my son to a 10 to my husbands 75 gallon and 2 10s running. I was tired of the what kind of dull do I want also. I asked the guy at the store how much harder is it to keep SW. I was told after set up just keep up with weekly checks no major things daily other than top off.
I told hubby I was going to do saltwater with the May stimulus check. Last weekend I bought a 125 gallon tank. I have to wait till May to do anymore. Untill I bought this tank I was just going to do a 55 or 75. I am already wishing I had room for a 250 plus. Mind we live in a trailor we have several opsticals like size and stability so a no go for now. Hubby and I both plan on huge systems when we build but thats another 10 years.
I am here on this site and others reading all day. I am a stay at home mother all kids in school and I have no transportation. I have only had a running car 6 months out of the last 10 years. I have a car now needing repaired given the choice I chose a tank. I have not had a car this long why do I need one now. I understand the needs of the tank and I hope I am up to the challange... Hubby hopes I fail and give up. He is jealous my tank is bigger than his....

Best sleep-aid I've ever bought

I swear if I sit down on the couch and watch the tank for any longer than 3 minutes I'm out cold sleeping like a baby. I think its over-relaxing for me

sepulatian

Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo
http:///forum/post/2568849
Best sleep-aid I've ever bought

I swear if I sit down on the couch and watch the tank for any longer than 3 minutes I'm out cold sleeping like a baby. I think its over-relaxing for me

Really? You must not have been in the hobby long, or you are not the one that does maintenance. When I sit and look I always notice something that should be done

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by rzande1
http:///forum/post/2567908
Because I dont like money and enjoy shoveling it out as fast as I can. lol
Hahaha!!! That's gotta be true in THIS hobby, lol!!
Me? Cause I'm addicted. My tank is the only thing that gives me the feeling of Christmas morning as a kid...every single day.
When I get home from anywhere, I can't wait to go look. When I wake up, I can't wait to look. I love it!

sea slug

HAHAHA!!! this is a dangerous thread to post on this website, it will get very long, very fast, nevertheless onward and upward!
I have a Reef tank not for the fish, but for the invertebrates, crustaceans, and mollusks in particular! I am partial to shrimp.

grabbitt

Why do I have a saltwater tank?
Because they're awesome.
Why do I have a saltwater tank while I'm in college?
Because I'm dumb.