Why does my refugium water evaporate so fast.

junito

LIke the title says the water in my 20L refugium evaporates really fast. I am constantly filling up the 20L every 2 days.
Also I am getting alot of brown algae on the glass and some on my live rock. I lower my timers for my metal halides from 12am-6pm and my T5's from 10am-8pm.
My water conditions have been good and I have 5 turbo snails, 5 hermit crabs, and 1 PJ Cardinal. I want to add more LR and sand before I add more fish. I yet to do a water change on the tank and it has been up for a little over a month but I am afraid if I do a water change I will mess something up.
Thanks

pstanley

I have to add roughly a gallon of water to my sump each day so I don't think what you are losing is out of the ordinary. Depends on the humidity level in the room, whether or not your tank is covered, size of the tank, etc.

snakeblitz33

I feel like five gallons every two days is excessive. I still suggest checking your salinity.
It isn't excessive in larger tanks with a lot of surface area, or if you have fans blowing on the water to increase evaporation.

deejeff442

i agree 5 gallons on a 90 is alot. i lost 5 gallons every 2-3 days on my 250 but not my 90.maybe 2 gallons.but if you have alot of turn over and flow it might.really if nothing outside the systen(carpet-tile) isnt wet then yes its evaporating. alot of flow on and tank and surface area will make water evaporate.what temp do youkeep the house? i like warm inside around 78 .

junito

I have a 1,000 gph pump, a mini powerhead, temperature is 79. Was going to add 2 wave makers to. House temperature is 70-72

junito

Well I'm still having to fill the refugium up about every 2 days but oh well. Thanks for all the help

junito

Wow just noticed my fan wasn't working. Switched to another outlet and it's on now. Will monitor the tank and see if this fixes the issue. Thanks Bang