Why is Everyone so Against the War?

seasalt101

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Ever notice how many stores are now run by middle-eastern people? On 9-11 the people from the stores in my town, all of which are middle-eastern, were dancing in the parking lot. I am being quite literal about this. They were seen DANCING in the parkng lot. The money is coming from us. The americans, just as the planes did, and the training to run those plains. They went to a flight course in NJ. We are "the melting pot" We are mocked by other countries for our national stupidity.
there should of been a bunch of thugs, mob, rednecks, hillbillies, cops, shooting those dancing

[hr]
...tobin

1journeyman

Originally Posted by crimzy
Iraq had nothing to do with those planes hitting the World Trade Center. Are you now playing Bush's game of using the tragedy of 9-11 to fuel your argument (or political agenda as the case may be)?
We are fighting Al QAEDA in Iraq right now... It's estimated over 2500 Al Qaeda have died in Iraq.
Just to remind everyone; 19 Al Qaeda killed 3,000 Americans on 9-11.

crimzy

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
We are fighting Al QAEDA in Iraq right now... It's estimated over 2500 Al Qaeda have died in Iraq.
Just to remind everyone; 19 Al Qaeda killed 3,000 Americans on 9-11.
Let's not play word games here. You referenced 9-11 and then stated that "they STARTED the war..." I think most people, including yourself, are aware that Al Queda was not in Iraq when the war started. So please explain how you suggest that Iraq started the war by your reference to 9-11... my guess is that this question will not get a response.
Maybe you're suggesting that we went into Iraq because we knew that, someday, Al Queda would be there. Or maybe you were just playing a game... trying to use 9-11 as a trump card. After all, who can argue with the war when you reference those women and children crashing into the World Trade Center. Please don't disrespect their memory to further an argument.

1journeyman

As much as it may pain you to hear this, all men are created equal under god. Death is death. You can justify our killing while condeming theirs. You believe that peace is achieved through subjecting them to more violence than they can subject us to. This is the essence of your goals. Your mentality is the same as the enemies. Success through imposing massive death upon the other side. And you callously justify our killing of women and children by suggesting that it was not "on purpose". That makes it so much better under the eyes of god. That makes it so much more righteous to the person in charge of cleaning babies' severed limbs off the street. Killing gets easier if you can convince yourself of your own righteousness, doesn't it?
Crimzy, we're treading on thin ice here... If I fully respond to this comment we'll bring theology into the debate and I'm sure that would end up with me or one of the other Mods having to close it.
I'll say two things:
1. War is justified in the Bible at times. If you want to argue that fact you'll lose quickly.
2. "In order for a war to be just, three things are necessary. First, the authority of the sovereign. Secondly, a just cause. Thirdly, a rightful intention." Saint Thomas Aquinas

jovial

As much as it may pain you to hear this, all men are created equal under god. Death is death. You can justify our killing while condeming theirs. You believe that peace is achieved through subjecting them to more violence than they can subject us to. This is the essence of your goals. Your mentality is the same as the enemies. Success through imposing massive death upon the other side. And you callously justify our killing of women and children by suggesting that it was not "on purpose". That makes it so much better under the eyes of god. That makes it so much more righteous to the person in charge of cleaning babies' severed limbs off the street. Killing gets easier if you can convince yourself of your own righteousness, doesn't it?
Do you believe we were justified in our actions when we bombed Japan?

ozmar

Ozmar, I actually wish you had been involved in these discussions before... good reading. I find it interesting that you don't really seem to disagree with many of my assertions regarding other terrorist nations, cronyism, Bush's claim that Iraq had nukes, failures in Afghanistan, etc. etc. etc. But we do disagree on the conclusions we have drawn from what has transpired thus far. While I would probably enjoy taking your arguments on point by point, I simply don't have the time. Truly, time will tell who's right in this argument. But when we eventually pull out of Iraq and it is no more democratic or peaceful than when we arrived, I will come back and tell you that I told you so. When the next plane/trane/bus is attacked, I will let you know that we didn't solve the problem. But then again, you, Darth, Journey and the rest will probably just claim that it is the media's fault for their portrayal of the events, or that it is the public's fault for pressuring us to leave the situation too early. One thing that I know for sure is that, regardless of the excuse that you all will utter to justify this failure of a war, the situation will not achieve the intended goals. The only thing I don't know is how many young Americans will have to lose their lives before this is realized.
Crimzy,
Thanks. I would have been here earlier, but I was in another forum. Something about evolution ...
I don't want to paint a picture that I think that everything is awesome and good, because I don't. I certainly recognize mistakes we've made and challenges that we still face. But I don't think things are nearly as bad (and especially not as malevolent) as many on the anti-war side of the question seem to believe. And I try to understand the big picture, the nature of our enemy, and to keep our current struggle in a historical context. I think I've managed to do that. I've learned a lot since 9/11, as I suspect many of us have, and that's ultimately a good development for our country.
Time will tell who is right, and I hope for all our sakes that you, and others like you, who believe that we are doomed to failure, nevertheless hope for our victory. We should all be on the same side in this conflict. We obviously disagree about how best to pursue victory, but I hope we all agree that America is worth defending and that victory is worth pursuing.
If we pull out and it is a disaster, I will be very disappointed, and I hope that, if it does happen, the disaster is mitigated somehow and that we will somehow learn from it. But more than that, I hope we do not give up hope and that we stick to our commitments and that we ultimately prevail. If we do, then I think we will have learned from the previous disaster of Vietnam, which left America greatly weakened and millions of good Vietnamese people dead or homeless. I don't want to see anything like that happen in Iraq.
If that does happen, I will fault the American public for losing faith (and will share my burden of that guilt), but even more so, I will blame our political leadership, who will, I suspect, be most responsible for losing hope. In order to avoid such a tragedy, I think it is vitally important that we elect strong, courageous leaders and that we communicate with our representatives to let them know that we want them to stand firm by our Iraqi allies and to see this war through to victory.
Unlike you, I am not certain about the outcome of this struggle. You are certain that we will fail. I am hopeful that we will succeed. But I fear that success and failure are both possible outcomes. If we stick to it, we may yet win (and I believe and hope that we will). But if we lose hope and give up, then your vision of failure will certainly be the outcome.
Ozmar the Hopeful

crimzy

Originally Posted by Jovial
Do you believe we were justified in our actions when we bombed Japan?
VERY interesting question... the bombs effectively ended the war but caused massive casualties. We achieved the result in that case. I think that under those circumstances we were probably justified. I believe that those bombs saved American lives. I don't believe that our fighting in Iraq will save any American lives. I think it will cost Americans, both soldiers and civilians. I know the other side disagrees. This may be the fundamental differences in our opinions.

1journeyman

Let's not play word games here. You referenced 9-11 and then stated that "they STARTED the war..." I think most people, including yourself, are aware that Al Queda was not in Iraq when the war started. So please explain how you suggest that Iraq started the war by your reference to 9-11... my guess is that this question will not get a response.
Crimzy, I always answer questions...
First off, there were Al Qaeda in Iraq before we went in. There was not, however, an "operational" relationship between them and Saddam. I believe the 9-11 Commission Report showed that Al Qaeda had moved in and out of Iraq.
Second, Al Qaeda is there now. We went into Iraq for the reasons I've stated, and now we must remain because our enemy has come to us there.
Not mutually exclusive; The battlefront simply changed.

frozenguy

It's rather unfortunate that our president put our country into this position!
It is controversial as to whether or not its a great idea to pull out. We can argue all day long because there is good reason to both sides, but we will only know for sure as to the outcome once we've done it..
We have been in this "war" for six years now. I think its time for a change.
I sure am loving these great gas prices though

1journeyman

VERY interesting question... the bombs effectively ended the war but caused massive casualties. We achieved the result in that case. I think that under those circumstances we were probably justified. I believe that those bombs saved American lives. I don't believe that our fighting in Iraq will save any American lives. I think it will cost Americans, both soldiers and civilians. I know the other side disagrees. This may be the fundamental differences in our opinions.
No, the fundamental difference is that you've stated we are the same as Al Qaeda. That's the sticking point for me.

crimzy

Let me just say this to the people on the other side of this debate. While I've been sitting here tonight, I find myself getting frustrated, only because this is an issue that I feel VERY strongly about. I may have posted things directed at some of you in the argument. Just want to let you know that if anything I've said is offensive then I apologize. I cannot back off my beliefs and everything I've said is what I truly believe, but I have not had the intention of disrespecting anybody and I don't want to get this thread closed.
I get a little heated when I feel strongly about something... I've had some wild times in the courtroom. lol.

1journeyman

Let me just say this to the people on the other side of this debate. While I've been sitting here tonight, I find myself getting frustrated, only because this is an issue that I feel VERY strongly about. I may have posted things directed at some of you in the argument. Just want to let you know that if anything I've said is offensive then I apologize. I cannot back off my beliefs and everything I've said is what I truly believe, but I have not had the intention of disrespecting anybody and I don't want to get this thread closed.
I get a little heated when I feel strongly about something... I've had some wild times in the courtroom. lol.
Lol, I'd like to see you in practice sometime

We're not close to locking this (at least I'm not... and none of the other Sharks have suggested watching this thread. Normally they leave these kind of threads to me).

crimzy

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I'll say two things:
1. War is justified in the Bible at times. If you want to argue that fact you'll lose quickly.
2. "In order for a war to be just, three things are necessary. First, the authority of the sovereign. Secondly, a just cause. Thirdly, a rightful intention." Saint Thomas Aquinas
1) I didn't mention the bible, I just simply stated that all men are created equal under the eyes of god. That doesn't mean that I am Christian or Jewish or believe in the legitimacy of the bible.
2) Nice quote. Doesn't really apply much to the issue at hand. I've read a lot of Aquinas, Locke, Machiavelli, Freud, Thoreau, etc. Just because something's written by a philosopher/writer, doesn't necessarily make it any more authoritative then yours or my opinion.
Anyway, I have to go feed the baby now. I'll check back tomorrow to see how this thing has progressed.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by frozenguy
It's rather unfortunate that our president put our country into this position!
It is controversial as to whether or not its a great idea to pull out. We can argue all day long because there is good reason to both sides, but we will only know for sure as to the outcome once we've done it..
We have been in this "war" for six years now. I think its time for a change.
I sure am loving these great gas prices though

I could not agree more. Everyone has an oppinion. I have my own. We will see what happens.

ozmar

Wow. That's so... I am not sure what to say...
But that never stopped me before.
Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
Why didn't you guys go to war when the bombings of 93 wtc attacks happend ???(which can be linked to usama) and NOT 9/11.
Easy answer? Look who was president.
Anyone for this War is either Ignorant of whats happening overthere or a far banging right-wing(of course).
Thanks for the broad ad hominem
attack. Still... I trust that a careful reading of many of our posts will reveal that we are not ignorant. As for "right-wing", well, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

But seriously why don't you guys go to War with Kim Jong-ill Who actually has wmd's???

You know, of course, that "we" (read: us individual "right-wingers") don't go to war. "We" (read: all of us as a nation) go to war. And we do so when sufficient provocation and threat is determined to exist by our elected officials, the US Congress.
But I imagine you mean to ask why we "right-wingers" don't favor war with Kim Jong-Il. Actually, I do. He's a very evil and unstable dictator, and we'd be safer if we could remove his regime and free those people. Read this book and then tell me that your heart doesn't ache to do something
to help these people. But there are good reasons why we won't. His nukes are actually one of them. Nothing ensures you'll get nuked like invading a madman's country.

Democracy is not going to work especially if the troops are still over there, you guys keep saying that there's a progress and that you should stay over there untill you win the "war on terror". please define what you call a winning war?
Sure. When Iraq is stable enough that its own government can keep the peace and secure its borders, then we'll call that a victory in Iraq. Might this take 20 to 50 years? Yeah, it might. It didn't take that long in Japan, but we still provide for their military security. We still have troops in South Korea. We can, in fact, maintain a strong military presence in Iraq indefinitely. Not as much as we have now, of course, but as the country stabilizes, we'll be able to draw down to a much smaller, more permanent force. And it will be with the consent of the Iraqi people. If they ultimately feel that they don't need or want us there, we'll leave.
Democracy is going to work ONLY if the Iraqi people want it to! NOT the US!
Of course there's violence and insurgents, there has been for decades..and the MAIN reason for this is that the Iraqi people want the US OUT of their country..
I entirely agree with the first. Which is why we need to support and encourage the free people of Iraq who DO want freedom and democracy.
I entirely disagree with the second. The main source of insurgents at this time are actually Iranians and foreigners who have come to Iraq to kill Americans and destabilize the region. We must kill them and defeat their goals.

Is alright to try to help other countries but you guys cannot try to fix the whole world your way.. that only brings wars, You guys been drinking to much Kool-Aid, or listening to the Fox bs, they are a bunch of clowns that want war$. Have you guys seen how FOX attacks Iran on a youtube video? "Fox attacks Iran". Is that how they're making people believe that Iran is Next? ...............Geopolitics 101........

Aztec the sacrifizer....
Oh my gosh, this is so... nuts.
Of course we can't fix the WHOLE WORLD. We're just trying to do what we can where we can. And right now, that is in Iraq. That's why we're there.
Next it very likely will be Iran. Its not like they haven't given us plenty of provocation. We've done practically NOTHING to them, yet they are sending insurgents into Iraq to undermine our efforts. And they're pursuing nukes. And... newsflash! Their president is a holocaust-denying nutjob who wants to wipe out Israel! Or is that just a bunch of "kool-aid" served up by Fox news?
(BTW, I don't watch Fox news. Just not a big TV guy I guess...)

ozmar

Originally Posted by Rylan1
WRONG!
Wow. You beat me. Your clever argument has destroyed my reasoning. Thanks. I see the error of my ways...
...NOT!

Ozmar the Juvenile

sepulatian

Who made us the sovereign, being we were the ones who "authorized" without the consent of the rest of the world. Is it a just cause? That is a matter of oppinion. What about rightful intention? Two and three go had-in-hand.

ozmar

RE: pulling out of Iraq
Originally Posted by kjr_trig
The quotation in bold is the one I am unfortunately starting to believe will occur. This will almost certainly happen with a Democrat in office, and I would think any Republican other than McCain.
Well, I dunno. I heard Thompson talk last night, and he certainly sounded committed. And the other Republican frontrunners (Romney, Giuliani) are also committed to victory.
Can't trust the dems, though. They're just nuts. Their principle handicap on national defense is that they don't seem to really believe that we're actually fighting a war...
Ozmar the Disappointed

frozenguy

Originally Posted by Ozmar
I entirely disagree with the second. The main source of insurgents at this time are actually Iranians and foreigners who have come to Iraq to kill Americans and destabilize the region. We must kill them and defeat their goals.
where did you hear this? That they are Iranians.. Bush?

This "war on terror" is moving from afghanistan to Iraq to Iran to who knows where next. THANK GOD our government doesn't allow Bush another term.

I think everyone should get satalite tv and watch real un-f*cked with/ un-biased reporting on this "war"
EDIT: I also think its messed up that we can have presidents from the same family let alone the next of KIN!! Oh oil men and their money.. When will it ever change?