Why is my Xenia Electric Green? Do I have a morph or something?

lil.guppy

I have this xenia that I got a year ago. It was encrusted on an old coral piece when I bought it. It was one of those red looking xenias. Well the colony died off few months after I got it due to a drastic salinity drop and it came back. Since it came back its electric green? I have frags from that colony that grew on rocks and they all look red like they are supposed to.
As you can see in the pictures the frag has the chunky arms and is red like its supposed to.

nigerbang

Top picture isnt Xenia.. Those pics are waaay oversaturated.. cant really tell whats going on... Turn off Vivid Color or High color...
Looks like GSP or Glove
Bottom pic is xenia..

meowzer

Are you sure the top pic is the same thing???? Looks like clove polyps, or something similar to that...I can't think of the other name right now

FOR SOME ODD REASON all I can think of is food
THANKS HENRY

lil.guppy

No it is a xenia because it looked like this when I got it
Also if you stop all water current sometimes you can see some of the green hands close but very rarely

nigerbang

Can you snap another pic with less blue?
It looks like it has a defined base in the top pic.. as a mat like clove and GSP.. It is def. different looking than the second and third pic..

nigerbang

Is it growing in the form of a purple mat that is spreading over the rock and extending out of that.. such as at night nothing there but purple soft tissue?

lil.guppy

I have never purchased green polyps. This is a red xenia colony I bought at the LFS a year ago. It was big and died off and then came back. It was growing where you see it now and when I ripped it from the rock the frag that you see stayed on the rock. I pulled that frag off the rock after awhile and put it into the sand

meowzer

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/3115743
I have never purchased green polyps. This is a red xenia colony I bought at the LFS a year ago. It was big and died off and then came back. It was growing where you see it now and when I ripped it from the rock the frag that you see stayed on the rock. I pulled that frag off the rock after awhile and put it into the sand
You may have had some polyps under them, and when the xenia died, the polyps took over

nigerbang

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/3115743
Then they were dorment on the rock.. That is not xenia.. Xenia doesnt grow a mat like structure... Its a blob like base.. That has a defined growth mat... No way around it.. The "red" xenia prolly died back and something awoken the clove polyps...The top pic and bottom pic are 2 different things..