Why me this sucks

robertmathern

I have just seen the worst thing ever today. Came home from work noticed my pink birds nest had bleached then I noticed all and I mean all my sps were bleaching then noticed my lps and zoas looking awful. I already was going to do a water change today so I got ready to do it. Figured I would test my water to see whats going on stuck my hand in the tank to fill test tube and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
come to find out the stone crab in my sump chewed through the cord going to the pump running my carbon reactor. I cant beleive this is happening again I went through a minor tank crash a few months back and still dont know what happened then. But I only lost most of my fish but now it almost all my corals my shark I just got (that was a pretty penny). Is there anything I can do to save the corals all of the still have polyps out sort of but they look horrible. The worst part is the tank is on gfci outlets WTF.

srfisher17

Sorry for your loss; but if this is a Florida Stone Crab, that is exactly what I'd expect him to do. They are delicious, though.

meowzer

OMG I am soooo sorry to hear about this....I have no clue how to save anything, but I'll be crossing my fingers for you :)

robertmathern

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3278830
Sorry for your loss; but if this is a Florida Stone Crab, that is exactly what I'd expect him to do. They are delicious, though.
Its a florida stone crab it from some florida rock I got way back and is pretty big now

flower

I totally understand about the zap part, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles…My heater broke a few months back and electrocuted everything. I didn't lose a fish but inverts and coral were killed. I also had GFCI outlets on everything.
I don’t know about SPS coral, all I had were soft, and LPS corals. My green star polyps came back, so did the zoa, Kenya tree, and mushrooms.
I lost the sea fan, torch, trumpets, Yellow Tonga leather, the Xenia, and the cabbage and lettuce corals. Almost all inverts died so the CUC was gone. My biggest problem were ammonia spikes from the dead and dying. So I got lots of water mixed up, got one of those detector badges to hang on the tank for monitoring ammonia to keep a close watch on things and run Purigen and carbon by hanging it inside the tank in front of a power head in a stocking I tied off to make a mesh bag.
Then I waited, watching my coral to see what would come back and what was very, very dead. I lost about $1500.00 by the time the mess was all over and back to normal. I am just now rebuilding the reef.
I was afraid to even feed my fish for fear any food would get in the rocks, with no CUC it was a very hairy anxious month, but I dared not add a new CUC or it would just add to the dead and dying keeping a cycle of death going. So I just very sparingly fed the fish a tiny bit at a time.
I don't see how you can keep your crab, if it cuts wires, anything in the tank like power heads, could zap the tank again.

robertmathern

The crab is in the sump and I got an idea for his ass (I hate to kill anything) I am going to run the cords through pvc in the sump to the pump (I don use a heater dont need one) and silicone the pvc to the pump. let him go through that.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3278870
SWF critters are pets, not food...LOL...sell him to a pet store like ***** to get even with him.
This guy came in as a hitchhiker.....it wasn't invited...therefore it is fair game....or dinner

gill again68

Your gonna want to whip that butter before you serve your crab. See meowzer, electricity killz. Dont know what to tell you other than get the water perams right and cross your fingers.

robertmathern

Yeah params are good now but I am sure I will see something soon. Already did a water change and mixing (actually filling) for the next. Also 50 percent of my sps are showing polyps. zoas are mostly recovered along with the rest of the lps. My peppermint just kicked over dead out of the blue was running around but now is fish food. Also my 10 inch serpent star for the first time climbed on top of my rock work and sprayed some cloudy stuff in the water (not sure what that was). My clam is starting to come out again along with a colored nem. Have not seen no hermits but the snails seem unaffected by it. To make matters worse my mh lights just went off and when they did 2 of my t5 attinics burned out about a second afterwards. They were old though so just maybe a coincidence. One more thing electroshock therepy seems to hurt green hair alge lol.

meowzer

Not to change the subject.....you brought it up though...LOL....How old are your actinics? Do you usually let them blow out? I thought you were supposed to change them at least once a year???
LOL....Need to know....My T5HO actinics are a year old in my 225G...and I thought I needed to change them....THERE ARE 8

robertmathern

you are supposed to change them about once a year but I dont use them for par or anything they dont even have reflectors. I use them for looks dawn dusk type stuff I have mh lighting that I keep up on. I have been meaning to replace them but they decided now is the time. MMy attinics are almost 2.5 years old lol worked great for what I was using them for till now lol

slice

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Yours and Flower's electrical experiences has put a proper amount of paranoia in me.
You said you have GFCI outlets. They did not trip because it was a leak, not a spike, if I understand the outlet's proper operation.
Did you have a ground probe in the tank? Do you think one might have helped?

mrdc

Originally Posted by Slice
http:///forum/post/3279047
Yours and meozer's electrical experiences has put a proper amount of paranoia in me.
I think you meant Flower. Her heater malfunctioned. I'm always concerned about electricity and tank leakage. My two biggest tank fears!

slice

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3279049
I think you meant Flower. Her heater malfunctioned. I'm always concerned about electricity and tank leakage. My two biggest tank fears!
Oops, you are right...fixed
On the ground probe...would a properly functioning probe have closed the circuit, caused a spike and tripped the outlet?