Why no live food?

i like fish

I've been reding this forum and lots of people are saying not to feed lionfish goldfish or guppies. Why is this bad to do?

i like fish

I just read in FAMA Magazine that freshwater parasites can't live in saltwater...........
Don't get me wrong, I think frozen food is much better, just curious.
I plan on putting a Zebra Lionfish in a 55 gallon I just got.

coachwah

I agree of the premise that freshwater parasites cannot live in saltwater, however, there are always exceptions. And with our limited resources of animals I don't think that is a risk I would be willing to take. Also, I think that what jw said about the nutrition content and inherent risks and consequences is valid. Some people may boo-hoo this, but, if you want to see your animals hunt choose saltwater fishes. More costly...yes..but more in line with their natural environment. JMO. HTH.

Damsels are cheap. Another thing I have read is that goldfish and guppies lack some of the required nutritional elements that they need. Plus if you train them or other predatory fish for live food, other fish in the tank are at a higher risk.

i like fish

I hope I can get my fish to eat frozen foods when the time comes. I had an Oscar back in my freshwater days that ate only flake and pellet food. I had him for about 5 years, then decided to give it goldfish one day. He developed hole-in-the-head disease and died about 6 months later.
I was just looking for any new info that FAMA might have left out.
Thanks for the replies.

bang guy

I also agree that freshwater parasites will quickly die in saltwater. However, that's not even close to the point jwtrojan is trying to relay.
If a parasite is in a Goldfish and the goldfish is swallowed by a Lionfish then the parasite will never be exposed to saltwater and osmotic shock will not kill it.
I believe that was what jwtrojan was saying.