Why you should never use tap water

squidd

I started my tanks on tap water..."Well" water actually...(non-Federaly regulated)
I didn't kill any fish...
I had macros in the display until I built and moved them to the fuge...
I never had problems with nitrAtes or phosphates, but I was experiencing a continuous unattractive "diatom growth pattern"...Which after testing, revealed an excess of Silicates in my source water...
I then "sponged" out the Silicates and switched to RO/DI water so I wouldn't continue to add them and the diatoms cleared up and I believe my tank looks cleaner and healthier (both subjective observations)
My tap water didn't cause me any "setbacks", but I do believe it was keeping me from "progressing" to (my tank,my choice) my goals of a clean, clear, thriving reef.
However, a few years ago, my mother ended up in the hospital from an outbreak of cryptosporidium(sp) from her 'Federally Standardized" citified tap water...:nope:

stapler

I would like to see some pictures of some peoples tanks who use just tap water. Just curious to see if they are thriving or not.
Anyone?
I have seens Bob's tank before, and it wasnt very attractive at all.:nope:

reefmad

gee you dont belive? i have no reason to lie. i know some who use and some that use tap water. i ll get some pics soon of my 30 gallon and my 20 gallon
:happyfish

twoface

Originally posted by stapler
I would like to see some pictures of some peoples tanks who use just tap water. Just curious to see if they are thriving or not.
Anyone?
I have seens Bob's tank before, and it wasnt very attractive at all.:nope:

Just a quickie, my local FS has been in business since 73', 5 tanks setup for salt at the store. He also onlu uses tap water, at the store and his ouse. He got me interested in the hobby, you guys are great. Ro is great for the those places where water is not that good, I would guess. I have not had any problms with dieing fish or alg. outbreaks. Guess evey place is different. Just for the record I live 15 minutes from downtown NYC.
TF

M

mailman441

bobs tank looks like the inside of my toilet after i take a dump. DONT take his advise.

stapler

LOL...I dont know if it looks that bad. I will probably end up using tap water myself, cause I cant afford anything else right now(got to many dam hobbies).
Reefmad, I would appreciate it if you could post some pics of your tank. I want to believe it can work!

M

mailman441

stapler if u cant afford ro water u cant afford this hobby, dont kill innocent fish

joe carey

I agree with Kip. I just recently switched to RO and noticed that the tank does appear to stay cleaner. However, I also now have to put additives in the water to keep the chemistry right and I never had to do that with tap water. It has crossed my mind on more than one occasion to switch back. On the other hand, I have not lost one fish since I have been using the RO water.

Originally posted by mailman441
bobs tank looks like the inside of my toilet after i take a dump. DONT take his advise.

thats pretty rude to say
everyone has different opinons about how to do things but thats no reason to resort to talking crap
when anyone has a plant question bobs always their to answer
imo his services are greatly appreciated
ive learned alot from reading his posts
:cheer:

koolkev

Hi
What would be the best water to use for a beginner like me to start out with, or doesnt it really matter? if i am going to use tap water we have one of those filters that we use for strictly drinking water to the side of the actual tap does that make a difference in quality?
TU very mush

shrimp134

I totally agree with kip, the brita, etc what ever you have really dont do anything...I highly suggest you buy a RO/DI machine, or go to your grocery store and purchase the rodi water by the gallon for 29c....thats your best bet
!

cincyreefer

However, a few years ago, my mother ended up in the hospital from an outbreak of cryptosporidium(sp) from her 'Federally Standardized" citified tap water...
Ahh, was this the infamous outbreak in Milwaukee? I think we are finally learning a way to kill that damn parasite.
FYI- RO/DI does not affect most parasites or bacterial colonies.

cincyreefer

All depends on the concentrations of Chlorine as to how much it can kill. If we increase the concentrations to kill all parasites/bacteria then it would be unfit for human consumption.

bang guy

Originally posted by cincyreefer
FYI- RO/DI does not affect most parasites or bacterial colonies.

That surprises me. I would think that only the tiniest viruses could penetrate a RO membrane. Is it really true than MOST parasites & bacteria go right through?
I'm definately not saying this is wrong because I know nothing about it but it just seems to me that anything that can filter out a Calcium carbonate molecule should be able to easily remove a whole bacteria cell.

cincyreefer

It just comes down to individual strains of bacteria you are dealing with and individual parasites. Some parasites, such as cryptosporodium, are extremely resilient. Powerful UV is pretty much the only accepted way to kill it right now. Pretty much the same thing goes for bacteria. I even know of a whole office building that got sick from drinking water out of an RO unit. The TFC membrane was not kept up very well, and bacteria started to grow on it. Thats a real bad situation after the chlorine has been taken out and the water just sits there waiting for someone to drink it.