Wife's a pain, can I do this nano?

tjkohler

Ok, my wife wouldn't even read the thread about a tank not smelling (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/38470/questions-on-my-wifes-concerns) she said there's no way it wouldn't and I have to take care of her two damned cats. So I want to show her how great a tank can/could be. I will eventually have a sump for a bigger system, so what I'll propose here would turn into the sump for that system.
What I want:
29 gallon with some live rock, mushrooms, and a small clean-up crew.
Hardware:
29 gallon (duh)
Heater
NO lights (possibly from cheap-o hood)
Hang-on whisper power filter (won't be used when I turn it into a sump).
1 good power head.
Livestock (with time frames):
Sand and a couple pounds of LR day 1
Some snails and pep. shrimp when cycled
Mushrooms a month or so after the cycle
Will this work? I want to do this real cheap just to show here that the tank won't smell and try to show her some of the joy. I can keep this tank in my office at home.

saltyrich

If your wife wouldn't even read the thread, then she unfortunately is not reasonable. No offense. It sounds as though the real situation is that she simply does not want a tank or does not want YOU to have a tank. Take some control my friend. I'd do it anyway, but continue to try and compromise. Get creative and offer up something that she may want. Bargain your way into this. If all else fails, just set one up anyway and sleep on the couch for awhile. I's worth it. Good luck.

B

bt_1999_66

tjkohler
SAltyrich has the right idea... My wife now owns 3 parrots, 2 cockatiels (spelling..??), a song bird, a chineese pug, siamese cat, a 2002 Montero Sport, and she getting her nails done as we speak...
Yes very costly, but my tanks are fully stocked to my likings...
Good luck...!

well try getting a emperor 280 instead of the whisper it will last longer in a salt enviroment.and if u want to have a n extra percaution about smelling buy cycled rock and u wont get the rotting scent that might happen.and if the tank does stink tell her to hold her head over the tank for 30 secs then the litter box for 30 secs and see which one is more pleasant

hondo

Don't bother arguing with her as who has ever won an argument with a worman (no offense to any of the fine women on this board just speaking as a whipped husband). Bribery always works, if you give her some shiney bauble you usually get what you want. If all else fails always remember "sometimes it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission". Bottom line tanks don't smell, and they are beautiful.
Also the only problem with the set up you mentioned is the no light part. Good lighting is what makes the tank so colorful and beautiful. If you are trying to impress her with how nice a tank can look don't skimp on the lights too much.

overanalyzer

Winning over the wife is a pain! I have just been doing a ton of research and then I send her pictures of posts of people's tanks (helps if she has e-mail). She has slowly warmed to the idea. The kicker was a nice dinner out - at a resteraunt that had an awesome aquarium set up in the entry way!

worm

you guys are too much! funny thing is, my girlfriend got me into this hobby, and im overwhelmed by it! it is something we share together and whatever goes on with our tank, we do together. total opposite of your situation, but i guess what i am trying to say is, put money aside weekly/monthly for the costly items and build that reef in your tank. she will come around. but make sure you put a canopy over that tank! sheez, with all those birds and cat, something bound to happen ;)
JUST DO IT! :cool:

david s

I agree get cycled rock and no stink also try to get a hood you can buy a 12k bulb for later it will look beter and 12k is a good spectrum without runing atinics as far as the whisper i would get at least 35lbs to 50 lbsof live rock drop the whisper and get a prizm protien skimmer and do a dsb

saltyrich

You know, a 29 gallon really isn't a nano. If you go that big, might as well go all the way. If you do a nano, do one around 10 gallon.

blennybabe

Im begining to think that my boyfriend likes my tank even more than I do. He even paid the extra for me to get the 75 rather than the 55 so that I could have more fish. He comes over when im not there and sits in front of it. He doesnt know much yet, but hes trying to learn withough going to too much effort. He always asks me questions about lighting and cycling and different fish. I cant wait till we get our own apartment. He said that he wants to get a 125 or bigger to move everything into. :D Too bad thats a long way off.
I feel sorry for all those of you who have spouses that dont share your hobby. everyone i know that has seen my tank wants one of their own.
I agree with Joe, the litter box thing is a great idea. I live with a lot of pets (parrots, iguannas, dogs, cats, and a horse) and my house doesnt smell. and my tank certainly doesnt. Even my curing tank only smells if you put your nose a couple of inches above the water.
Try the bribery thing. that always works when my boyfriend wants to go shopping for frisbee golf stuff. he just takes me out afterward or promises to go look at fish with me. It works great and then hopefully you will both be happy. good luck!

jumpfrog

My wife and I had concerns about saltwater. Although not smell. Here's a thought and this was our first saltwater tank.
Buy a 10 gallon with standard light, add on small 3-4 pound piece of cured live rock. Small filter, and a heater.
Cycle with frozen shrimp.
Add a damsel,
and wa lah. You have a saltwater tank and I guarantee it won't smell.
You've invested very little, made your point and created your future QT tank at the same time.
Good Luck!

maryc137

I'm a wife and I can't imagine why any woman wouldn't want a beatiful salt water tank in her house. Get a tank with a beatiful oak stand and hood and it'll be the highlight of the room. Mine is a 137 gallon custom tank prominently displayed in my living room directly across from the front window so it shows to those walking or driving by. I have fun watching people do a double take when they see that bright intense VHO lighting, and of course the beautiful stuff underneath it. When we have company over they can hardly tear themselves away from the tank. We usually just bring them out a stoll so they can sit and watch at eye level, and we talk to the back of their head.

striker

My wife was originaly against my getting a sw tank but now she agrees it's the central attraction in the living room. I put my foot down and decided on buying the tank:mad: I also bought her a pair of diamond earings to go along with it:D .

bubbagump

well in my room i have 3 fisht tanks and 2 of them are fresh and the other is salt. the fresh ones smell like crap and my salt doesnt smell at all, my mom made me get a wizard plug in thing that makes good smells so my room doesnt smell bad. i would get one of those things and then your wife couldnt complain about anything

S

sinner's girl

gee i feel sorry for you...here i am wanting to know if we can register at a lfs...(who needs dishes and toasters, i'd rather tank stuff...)
take her to a few lfs to see (and smell) the tanks...involve her in it...that's how sinner got me hooked...he let me pick out a damsels and name it...then i got to pick out the clown...let her see all the pretty fish...if nothing else say it will benifit your health by getting rid of stress...
then once it's set up and nice, sit with her in front of the tank to watch the fish/inverts...nice quality time together ;)

wolffvet

my girlfiend did not want me to have one either because she thought it would make my house smell. Now she is just as addicted as I am. In fact I am setting up a tank at her place this weekend. Show her someones reef tank and that is complete and she will fall in love with it.

ananda

Originally posted by Sinner's Girl
here i am wanting to know if we can register at a lfs...(who needs dishes and toasters, i'd rather tank stuff...)
I suspect that if you go to your fave LFS and talk to them about it, they could work something out with you. Hey, it'd be more sales for them! I wish more places would do gift registries. Problem is, a lot of people would rather buy you "traditional" wedding (or Christmas) gifts than the stuff you really want that they know nothing about!
Last year my mom said, "I don't know what I'd get for you two anyway -- you don't need any more stuff" and I thought "Wait! We have fish tanks! Of COURSE we need more fish stuff!" :D

robchuck

My wife and I were married just over a month ago, and now we have more vases, candleholders, and picture frames than we know what to do with them. An LFS registry would have been great!