? Wii on Sony big screen

renogaw

how come it looks like dookie?
i've got a 1080p tv, i've got the Wii settings to 16:9
i for some reason cannot set the wii to 480p... and i don't see a hdmi jack for the wii
should i be going through my dvd player or my dvr cable box to get a better picture?
also... ive rented Legends of Zelda, and one of the settings it is trying to get me to do is to make three boxes look like squares. the two on the outside are fine, but the one in the middle is squished in. i don't know which setting on the tv i should use to unsquish it.

lexluethar

The Wii is 480, i don't think the Wii does 720 or 1080 - it doesn't have the component cables or HDMI cables.
So essentially you are seeing that 480 quality picture on MUCH more realistate.

aw2x3

True...they're not configured for 720 or 1080...that's one of the main reasons I went with PS3, even tho my girlfriend begged for a Wii.
Nothing like playing Call of Duty 4 in 1080P!!

shinobi9119

have u messed with the wii settings? like widescreen and such?
I thought I heard something bout hd cable or sumthin for the wii but im not entirely sure.
TLOZ Twilight princess is a great game I hope you enjoy it

renogaw

why on earth would they not make the system 1080p..........
yes, i've changed the settings on the wii, but it gives me the option to make it 480p, instead of 480i, but i can't even change that to get a little better picture.
i shoulda known when i had to hook it up with av cables :(

renogaw

ok... my DVD player upconverts from standard dvd output through an HDMI cable to make it 1080p. can i plug in the wii to it if it has the av connectors?
my dvr/cable box is 1080i, and has av ports... i'm wondering if i should use that

jerryatrick

You can buy component cables for the Wii. Go to a gamestop or whatever video game store chain you got up there. The component cable will work for 360, PS3 and the Wii. I have the cable and the Wii looks 1,000 times better with that cable.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2955656
and i don't see a hdmi jack for the wii
I hit my knee on the computer desk.
The Wii was definitely built with a price point in mind. Graphics are far and away the Wii's biggest drawback. The gyro/motion technology isn't cheap so it's got to come from somewhere. Yea, component cable will help some.

lexluethar

Component cable or not, the Wii will only send out a 480 signal.
I only have a 34'' TV and I know where you are coming from ren, the picture is crap. But what do you expect, it isn't even a DVD system, they are CD's that the games are burned onto.

renogaw

ehh, i'd expect something that would compete with better gaming hardware, especially since the technology is definitely there.
didn't know they were cd's..

lexluethar

Ren I appologize, I think they are DVD's, but the system will still only give a 480 signal. The component cable is for TV systems that don't have the other cable connection that normally comes with the Wii system.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2955793
ehh, i'd expect something that would compete with better gaming hardware, especially since the technology is definitely there.
didn't know they were cd's..
Well think about it. The Wii debuted at $250, the 360, $399, and the PS3, $599. Would you think a system that's half priced, that has really expensive controls, to be a feature-packed as the others?
Also when has Nintendo ever been at the forefront of technology? N64, Gamecube has always been outclassed.

renogaw

kk.
im gonna go plug it into my upconverter equipment and see if anything looks better. i'll be back soon if it doesnt. otherwise, i'm just gonna plug it back into my 15 yo 25" screen... it looked decent enough on that.

directvguy

Do you have any hidef cable/satellite...if so how is the picture? Also you cant do 480p with composite cables..red/white and yellow....maybe they have an uprade with a component cable? The component cable will only output 480I but the colorstream connection will give you a much better picture!!

lexluethar

They spent their money on the motion sensor system, not a graphics intense system. Just got to the store tomorrow and look at what games you can buy. Other than Call of Duty and sport games like Madden and Golf all the games are more for children and group play.
I'm always looking for a new Wii game to play and I never see anything worth while, as they are all family-oriented or games geared for younger generations. Like Baby Dance Party...

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2955765
Component cable or not, the Wii will only send out a 480 signal.
I only have a 34'' TV and I know where you are coming from ren, the picture is crap. But what do you expect, it isn't even a DVD system, they are CD's that the games are burned onto.
You are correct that 480P will be the highest resolution. But the picture color that the component cable will give you is a huge upgrade.

lexluethar

Perhaps I'll give that a go as well... What is the regular picture quality using the yellow cable (don't know what it is called). Is that 480i?