Will an iodine dip kill aiptasia?

aquaknight

Likely to have multiple aiptasia afterwards. Use kalk paste or Joe's Juice.
Took over a solid week for some aiptasia to die in hypo (1.009) I had. Tough stuff

kevin34

what about the boiling water trick? does that work well? or will that kill the zoas around the aiptasia too?

kevin34

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2827271
which frag was it on?
I would just remove the frag and dispose of the rock it was on
its on a frag of GPE. the polyps are on a plug. I could try to "peel" that layer of the plug off. The only problem is that the aiptasia is RIGHT up against one of the polyps and its super tiny.

kevin34

i have been hesitant about buying shrimp due to my sixline wrasse. and its just one anemone so far. I wanna try and get it off before it spreads. Could I just chop it off and shave off the whole layer of the frag plug with a razor blade or knife?

groupergenius

Peppermints will chow it down.
Problem is, there are 2 very similar looking types of peppermint shrimp. I'm not talking about camelback's either. Try to do some research on the different ones, IIRC it's something about the pattern of stripes. The true Peps work best if you put them in isolation like a small tank then put the rock in question with them.
I had a couple zoa rocks that had 20+ Aps on each and put them in a small tank with 12 Peps. Aptasia gone in 2 days. Left them in for an extra day to clean all up and have never seen another one on those rocks.

kevin34

Could I just scrape it off though? I dont really want to buy a peppermint shrimp and risk it getting eaten by my wrasse for just one aiptasia.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/2827609
Could I just scrape it off though? I dont really want to buy a peppermint shrimp and risk it getting eaten by my wrasse for just one aiptasia.
Well, like aquaknight was kinda eluding to earlier, if you don't get it all it will come back. And any little pieces that go floating off are apt to become new little Aptasias somewhere else in the tank, sump, overflow,.....

flricordia

Might try sticking the end of a superglue gel nozzel into where the aptasia withdraws and squirt some in and leave it there for a couple days. If you don't see the aptasia come out beside it from a different hole chances are you embedded it in the now hardened superglue and once you remove it the anemone will come out with it.

legion

peppermints, if you wish to risk it. They got all mine, as far as I know. But I did relocate one after he start to pick at my corals.

kevin34

after comparing mine to pics i am wondering if this is even aiptasia. is all aiptasia brown? Mine is white.

legion

I have had some that were translucent. I don't know how much light they use, but it could be that. Need a positive ID.