will my canopy glass break!!

drsteve2001

Just Bought a new 250 watt metal halide...have my glass canopy on...will it shatter? Have a corner tank and have it raised up 3 inches with non-flammable(the height of the legs are suppose to raise it 3 inches) The glass is getting hot..it just does not fit my tank with the legs on so cant take the glass off. When does glass break? If it does it will hit the water!!

kingsmith

I dont think it would break unless something hits it or some real cold water gets on it but I would watch out for burns

meowzer

I had glass over my tank, when I got my MH lights....I took all off but the middle piece
IT CRACKED inder the 250W MH's......I was very lucky that I was right here when it happened, and it broke in 3 even pieces....my husband and I quickly grabbed the pieces before any small pieces broke off
I would watch closely....or switch to eggcrate

drsteve2001

what is a egg crate?...i definitely need something to hold the light on the tank the legs that came with it will never reach the sides(damn corner tank fits in my space well but I couldn't find a good light) So i need the glass on to hold the light so it wont fall in or else the light will just fall in. Made spacers to keep the light stay 3 inces above but still worried about heat

meowzer

I will post a picture...egg crate is also known as lighting diffuser...you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes....I think it is like $10 for a 5 x 8 piece.
you may have to look into a more suitable way to mount your light though....Can you hang it????
Attachment 235990

meowzer

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3190913
I agree...too much heat from a 250 watt MH for plastic. Your safest and best bet is to hang it.
I have 3 250W MH lights over eggcrate.....Mine is 7" (hung) from top though
The reason I suggested hanging the light is because I believe the OP is using the glass to set the light legs on...

flower

Originally Posted by drsteve2001
http:///forum/post/3190602
Just Bought a new 250 watt metal halide...have my glass canopy on...will it shatter? Have a corner tank and have it raised up 3 inches with non-flammable(the height of the legs are suppose to raise it 3 inches) The glass is getting hot..it just does not fit my tank with the legs on so cant take the glass off. When does glass break? If it does it will hit the water!!

Glass canopy??? Do you mean glass top?
A glass top will not shatter but it can cause your tank to super heat. Think of the green house effect.
Hang your lights higher, or make your own "legs" to sit the lights higher over the tank. If a drop of water touches the bulb while lit, it will burst so you can't have the lights that low without glass.
For a while (6 months) I used half of my glass top. I cut the center rubber part off and used the small strip of glass just under the MH bulbs on each side. That way I protected my bulbs but also allowed heat to escape.
The only problem with that is salt creep, it kept blocking my light and I had to clean it every other day. I made my own "legs" and lifted the lights higher now. Problem solved.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3190916

Glass canopy??? Do you mean glass top?
A glass top will not shatter
but it can cause your tank to super heat. Think of the green house effect.
Hang your lights higher, or make your own "legs" to sit the lights higher over the tank. If a drop of water touches the bulb while lit, it will burst so you can't have the lights that low without glass.
For a while (6 months) I used half of my glass top. I cut the center rubber part off and used the small strip of glass just under the MH bulbs on each side. That way I protected my bulbs but also allowed heat to escape.
The only problem with that is salt creep, it kept blocking my light and I had to clean it every other day. I made my own "legs" and lifted the lights higher now. Problem solved.
Actually Flower...I have had a glass top crack on me.....cracked into 3 ...I was very grateful I was home, and sitting right there when it happened

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3190919
Actually Flower...I have had a glass top crack on me.....cracked into 3 ...I was very grateful I was home, and sitting right there when it happened

Yes I read your post AFTER I posted mine.. sorry. My glass top didn't break, but I have 175w not 250w
I left my post alone because basically I was telling OP to make some homemade legs, or hang the lights and not use the glass at all. Your advice was perfect, I hadn't read all the way down, just the first few posts...My bad...

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3190926

Yes I read your post AFTER I posted mine.. sorry. My glass top didn't break, but I have 175w not 250w
I left my post alone because basically I was telling OP to make some homemade legs, or hang the lights and not use the glass at all. Your advice was perfect, I hadn't read all the way down, just the first few posts...My bad...
Don't apologize.....I just wanted you to know that it can happen...

drsteve2001

how high does this need to be off the glass...I planned on making my own legs....i might put the eggcrate on top of the glass also to help diffuse the heat..Also my halide has a tempered glass over it so it is kinda sealed

tygoef

The arc tube of a metal halide lamp operates at 2,000F, I'd recommend getting that a lot further than 3" above your tank. Maybe 12", but I've seen them mounted as far as 3' over tanks.

E

eric b 125

my halide sits on legs that raises the fixture about 3" from the rim of the tank, so around 4-5" from the water surface. doc, i will send a PM your way in a few hours to give you some tips as far as hanging the light.

reefraff

There is some clear monofilament mesh netting material people are starting to use instead of egg crate. Not sure where you can get the stuff.

drsteve2001

I am taking the glass off tank, cutting the eggcrate to fit the top of tank then hoping the legs will hold in pplace or modify them so they stay in place. worried about temp increase being a 250watt so worst case i get a hanging kit