will phosphate more than 2.0 kill coral

bang guy

Originally Posted by meg&ran
yes not sure what one is for it. but i and puting a cap of kent phytoplex, strontium & molybdenum every week. and marine snow in after ever water change.
Unfortunately your coral can't eat any of this. I see two issues, one being worse than the other.
CandyCane Corals need to eat. They eat quite a bit. They can eat stray fish food, fish waste, etc. but they must eat, they're not filter feeders. I feed mine chunks of scallops and other meaty seafood. Usually mine will extend their feeding tentacles after I have fed my fish. I can then target feed them because any food they touch will stick to their tentacles and be pulled into the mouth.
Phosphate will prevent corals from growing as well. It interferes with laying down new skeleton. Generally, a coral that isn't growing is dying. So, you also need to get your PO4 level down.

meg&ran

ill start feeding it. I only have one left. i just hooked up a RO system for the PO4 but it only took my city water down to .1 It was .2 So what do i do to get to 0.0
Also do you still put water conditioner in for the chlorine?? (after it gos through the RO system.)

meg&ran

Originally Posted by Evanish
Hey Meg and Ran! Im not your area. Lima also. :)
so your lima ohio if so im on the east side

evanish

Im from the south side. If you want give me your e-mail and ill tell you about the local reef club and some links to them.

T

tizzo

ill start feeding it. I only have one left. i just hooked up a RO system for the PO4 but it only took my city water down to .1 It was .2 So what do i do to get to 0.0
Also do you still put water conditioner in for the chlorine?? (after it gos through the RO system.)
RO does not remove chlorine, but adding a 65 dollar DI unit will. It will also reduce your PO4 to 0.

bang guy

No conditioners in the water. The chlorine is removed by the charcoal canister before it gets to the RO membrane. DI will remove Phosphate from water but a lot of your PO4 is probably from overfeeding your fish. A Hi-S RO membrane (cellulose) will also remove more PO4.
A better skimmer, dripping limewater, chemical removal, or an algae scrubber are options to further reduce your PO4.

meg&ran

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
No conditioners in the water. The chlorine is removed by the charcoal canister before it gets to the RO membrane. DI will remove Phosphate from water but a lot of your PO4 is probably from overfeeding your fish. A Hi-S RO membrane (cellulose) will also remove more PO4.
A better skimmer, dripping limewater, chemical removal, or an algae scrubber are options to further reduce your PO4.
but if my water is comeing out of RO at .1 (PO4) and i top off with it. then the PO4 will add up in my tank right?? or will it not rise to a unsafe piont.

bang guy

but if my water is comeing out of RO at .1 (PO4) and i top off with it. then the PO4 will add up in my tank right?? or will it not rise to a unsafe piont.
Not really. It needs to be removed somehow but it's no longer the major PO4 contributer for your tank. All I was saying is that the 0.1 ppm from your water isn't where most of your Phosphate is coming from. If you continue regular water changes with the 0.1ppm water then your phosphate level will fall, perhaps even to zero as algae consumes the phosphate. I have a feeling that you're overfeeding though and that will cause PO4 levels to rise.

meg&ran

ok i understand, it has been dropping and i have stop feeding so much. i think that was my biggest problem. But know that i have the RO system do i need the water conditioner for the chlorine??/ i have a three stage and i guess not the DI. i've been told "yes and no".

bang guy

what about the chlorine i have city water??
The carbon cartridge will remove all chlorine.