Will someone give me a lesson canister filters

jw1977

I've got an establishied 46 gallon tank that's 2 years old. I've been using an HOB filter(marine biowheel 400) and i'm wondering if a canister wouldn't do a better job. I know most people here prefers sumps but my tank isn't drilled and I'm worried about flooding everywhere. Besides the plumbing would be way over my head. Can someone teach me about canister filters? I have no idea how they work, what maintenance do they require? I've been looking at the new Fluval series G which is expensive. Do people think I should switch to the canister or should i just keep the HOB? I've been having a green hair algae i keep on top of .

meowzer

I like the Cascade canisters....I have a Cascade 700 on my 54G, and I do not recall it being overly expensive. Although I use it mostly for flow....
It comes with shut off valves, so you just unplug the canister and turn off the valves...unscrew the attachments, carry it into the kitchen...empty.....do what you wish with the insides...and reattach
OK...In mine....In the 54G...I keep the ceramic bio rings...and nothing else
I have a cascade 1000 on my 225G...I only use it for the flow bar...

rosco1

I have a 90 gallon and use a magium 350 with 2 bio wheels. I also use a protein shimmer etc. this canister is very simple. I also use shut off valves I use the carbon and floss in the cansiter and i also add a product to keep phosphates down. I used this for years. It works for me so I don't want to change it.

flower

I used to use Penguin HOB filters, they create too much salt creep from splash. So if you can afford to, I recommend you replace them. I also don’t like drilling my tanks or messing with plumbing.
I use the Fluval and a Cascade on my 90g. I only clean one canister at a time. I can add any kind of media I want in them.
If you use one canister, never clean out everything at once. Rinse your media in saltwater to try and save as much bacteria as possible.
Fluval is easier to clean than the Cascade. On a Cascade you must shut off each valve and then detach each tube, first the input valve, then unplug, then the output valve (in that order or you have a flood). Don't get me wrong, that really isn’t hard at all. However on the Fluval there is a shutoff lever, then a second release lever..remove it and you’re done, no twisting to remove the tubes and no sequence to follow.
In a Cascade, you have only baskets. In a Fluval you also have 4 filter pads besides the baskets. Both have a spray bar, but with Fluval you purchase it separately, and Cascade comes with a nice one right in the box. I used to use two Cascades. When one had a seal break I replaced it with the Fluval. In comparison I like the Fluval better. It is about $60.00 more.

cam78

I have a Fluval 303 for my 46 Gallon and I love it. SO easy to use, easy to clean and has a lot of space for different supplements and bags. EZ to clean is the best part. VERY quiet too

jw1977

Thanks for the responses. I have a stupid question. What actually goes into the tank? I assume there is something attached to a tube that takes it down into the filter? Also, one of you mentioned a chance of a flood. Is this really possible. That scares me. If there is power outage will it flood? Has anyone tried the fluval g series?

ibew41

I have a canister on my 36g works great just clean very good or nitrates will creep up.If the power goes out it will not flood

pete159

biowheels are powerful filters, I have 1 on my 46g as well as a canister, I would never take off the bio wheel.
I also use live rock and a good protein skimmer.
The thing with canisters is you want to have them full of only premium media and not cheap stuff such as bio balls. I took out the bio balls and added eheim pro substrate as well as kent denitrate. I've never had an algae problem since.
The 1 thing I hate is cleaning the canister, its a pain in the arse.

flower

Originally Posted by pete159
http:///forum/post/3201756
biowheels are powerful filters, I have 1 on my 46g as well as a canister, I would never take off the bio wheel.
The thing with canisters is you want to have them full of only premium media and not cheap stuff such as bio balls. I took out the bio balls and added eheim pro substrate as well as kent denitrate. I've never had an algae problem since.

I put all my media in stockings and tie them off, one goes a long way...clean up is a snap.

trouble93

I run a Fluval 305 on one of my tanks pros easy to clean and can be done in a short time cons if you don't stay on top of them you open yourself up to Nitrate problems and that can lead to algae problems. I think canisters work very well on smaller tanks(under 100gals). Just remember you'll get out of it what you put into it. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. just my .02
ps just what I heard about the G3 & G6 a lot for the money but not much better then Fluvals of the past.

rlablan

I run a fluval 404 and just bought it instead of the new G series. I chose the regular fluval because it is much less expensive than the G, and it will cost you A LOT less in the long run. It is right next to my TV and it is silence! Never know it was there! Also, it is compact and more of a tower shape, so it takes up barley any room, unlike some of the round guys, like ocean clear.
In my fluval I run 1 1/2 trays of the ceramics rings that it comes with, for added bio filtration, usually 1/2 or 1 full basket of carbon and then fiberfil in the rest of the baskets. Works like a dream and is SUPER CHEAP!

I buy the loose carbon from ***** or petsmart... The cheapy activated, plain-jane stuff and then buy a couple of the media bags and switch those out and refill when needed. It costs about 9 bucks for 2 months worth of carbon my way. The fluval is about 4 bucks per pre-made Fluval brand baggie.
The fiberfil can also be bought at *****, but I go to Joann fabrics and buy a huge bag of poly fiber fil for about 12 bucks and it's enough to last over 3 or 4 months. (That is changing it twice a month)
The fluval G uses specially made cartridges that are only made by fluval for the G. They are HUGELY pricey and I looked at them the other day and they don't even collect the much waste! I would have to change then once a week and at 8 bucks a piece, I don't think so! It think that the G is just too expensive when you add in the cost of the media which is not easily customized.

jw1977

Maybe i'll go with the Fluval 404 instead of the G. What exactly is the process of cleaning? Is it messy? Is it a pain?

rlablan

I find it very easy. And I have never had any issues with leaking air or water like I have with the the round type of canisters.
You simply
- unplug it
- take it to your sink, or whatever to empty
- dump out some water through the opening on the top
- remove the lid by unlatching the plastic clips
- pull the out the sponge wall (I call it that)
- pull out the tower of canisters
- change media out/wash sponges/whatever maintence
- wash out the actual canister body
- replace baskets and sponges, replace lid
- replace under tank and re attach hoses
- release water valve and plug in to outlet.
It's the easiest canister I have ever dealt with but I have only used maybe 3 types. This one is world apart from the rest, IME.

cam78

second the Fluval, it is so easy to clean and very innovative. The system they got is amazing. Never loses prime or anything. SO QUIET!!!!

rlablan

Just an FYI Apparently here is AZ, alot of fluvals were shipped and were missing a piece of the impeller. It's the shaft that keeps it all aligned properly. We discovered this when we got it all set up and then it made this horrible grinding noise.
We simply went down to ***** where we purchased it and snagged the piece from another fluval.
I just didn't want you to get your filter all setup and think "I thought people said these were quiet and so great!" lol

aquatic cat

Originally Posted by pete159
http:///forum/post/3201756
That is on of the reasons those new hagen canister look so good as far as cleaning is concerned just pull out the cartridgesreplace and there are more to these filters as well but price is higher.
The filters also have that cool lookin appeal to them!

rlablan

It does look really sleek, so for something that has to be seen, I guess I would pay for the G since it looks a lot better.
But for me at this stage, my filter is hidden and I like it that way cause it saved me a lot of money.
The 405 is just as good at cleaning. Really the only useful thing that I saw about the G that the 405 does not do, is the built in thermometer.
I can buy a coralife thermometer for ~14 bucks.
The price between the G and the 405 is A LOT more than 14 bucks.
That kinda sealed the deal for me, + the pricey filter media that you are locked into with the G.

drsteve2001

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3201950
I run a fluval 404 and just bought it instead of the new G series. I chose the regular fluval because it is much less expensive than the G, and it will cost you A LOT less in the long run. It is right next to my TV and it is silence! Never know it was there! Also, it is compact and more of a tower shape, so it takes up barley any room, unlike some of the round guys, like ocean clear.
In my fluval I run 1 1/2 trays of the ceramics rings that it comes with, for added bio filtration, usually 1/2 or 1 full basket of carbon and then fiberfil in the rest of the baskets. Works like a dream and is SUPER CHEAP!

I buy the loose carbon from ***** or petsmart... The cheapy activated, plain-jane stuff and then buy a couple of the media bags and switch those out and refill when needed. It costs about 9 bucks for 2 months worth of carbon my way. The fluval is about 4 bucks per pre-made Fluval brand baggie.
The fiberfil can also be bought at *****, but I go to Joann fabrics and buy a huge bag of poly fiber fil for about 12 bucks and it's enough to last over 3 or 4 months. (That is changing it twice a month)
The fluval G uses specially made cartridges that are only made by fluval for the G. They are HUGELY pricey and I looked at them the other day and they don't even collect the much waste! I would have to change then once a week and at 8 bucks a piece, I don't think so! It think that the G is just too expensive when you add in the cost of the media which is not easily customized.
What is fibrilfil? Or fibrer fil from joann? Is it a fabric you put in one of the bags?